Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default PICS Status delayed to Undetermined

Hey everyone, first time posting as I just signed up. Recently, I attempted to purchase a firearm, but the PICS check was delayed and then I found out today, day 7 that it came back as undetermined .

The only thing that I have on my record with regard to criminal behavior is a felony arrests from 8 years ago when I was 18. I got into a shouting match with my sister, nothing physical, but did end with me telling a very condescending officer to shut the fuck up. I was promptly arrested.

However, I was never charged or convicted of ANYTHING. Never even went to court regarding the issue. I knew it was on my background as I worked for an attorney who did thorough background checks and he brought it up to me. He looked into it and stated that he didn't even know why this was part of my record and gave me the job.

I sent in my appeal paperwork today, but I was hoping someone could give some direction. The incident took place in Ohio . I've heard that the appeals process is fair. I do know that some people leave out a significant part of the story, but there is nothing else. I have checked the criminal dockets and civil dockets for PA and Ohio and nothing comes up except for accident caused by me for going too fast.

Thanks in advance.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: PICS Status delayed to Undetermined

A lawyer that specializes in gun law is your best avenue for this kind of information.
    You can contact GunLawyer001 on this forum (or another gun lawyer elsewhere) and ask for a consultation.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Montgomery County)

I didn’t know if was a felony to yell at a LEO.

(Erie County)

I completely understand that I shouldn't have done it, but I'm also 100% positive it was a BS charge. On top of that I spent a week in county jail until they let me walk out the front door. Such is life I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I didn’t know if was a felony to yell at a LEO.
    If that's the case I should be in prison for life. I've been yelling at my brothers for the last 40 years and even started on them a few dozen times over the years.

Should I be worried?

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    A lawyer that specializes in gun law is your best avenue for this kind of information.
    You can contact GunLawyer001 on this forum (or another gun lawyer elsewhere) and ask for a consultation.
    Yeah this is what you need to do.

(Columbia County)

I calling the OP post a hoax. He worked for an attorney who acknowledged a felony on his record but hired him anyway? He didn’t try to correct his record then with the help of his employer, the attorney?

Didn’t go to court on a felony charge? He also acknowledges a felony charge on his record but fills out a 4473 form where a question specifically asks if the person filling it out has a felony?

I don’t believe PA has traffic offenses on a criminal record unless it is attached to a misdemeanor or above. One has to be fingerprinted to get something on their criminal record.

I'm also questioning why someone would send in the appeal form prior to the undetermined status being decided.

This story doesn’t make sense. Just like bigfoot and ufo stories it's a hoax.
    Last edited by eagleclaw; February 21st, 2018 at 04:26 AM.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    I calling the OP post a hoax. He worked for an attorney who acknowledged a felony on his record but hired him anyway? He didn’t try to correct his record then with the help of his employer, the attorney?

Didn’t go to court on a felony charge? He also acknowledges a felony charge on his record but fills out a 4473 form where a question specifically asks if the person filling it out has a felony?

I don’t believe PA has traffic offenses on a criminal record unless it is attached to a misdemeanor or above. One has to be fingerprinted to get something on their criminal record.

I'm also questioning why someone would send in the appeal form prior to the undetermined status being decided.

This story doesn’t make sense. Just like bigfoot and ufo stories it's a hoax.

When I was in Montana traffic offenses, and even violations of fishing regulations, were all misdemeanor charges. Perhaps it's something like that. Had I not pled "no contest" to get a lesser sentence in traffic court, I would have a misdemeanor on my record for going 36 mph.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Montgomery County)

And what does “undetermined” mean as a PICS status? Never heard of it before.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    When I was in Montana traffic offenses, and even violations of fishing regulations, were all misdemeanor charges. Perhaps it's something like that. Had I not pled "no contest" to get a lesser sentence in traffic court, I would have a misdemeanor on my record for going 36 mph.
    I no expert on Montana’s laws but I did a small amount of research and found that their vehicle code misdemeanors are equivalent to our summary offences with the exception of major offenses. They are not considered misdemeanor crimes. In order for a person to have a crime on their criminal record they have to be fingerprinted by the arresting police department where the prints are sent to their state repository for criminal records.

One thing that might have happened to the OP if his post is real is that he was arrested for the altercation and he was fingerprinted and released. The case was dropped but the courts never sent a disposition indicating that the charges were dropped therefore an arrest charge is still on his record without a disposition.

However he doesn’t say that, he says he knew about the charge and alleges it wasn’t supposed to be there. He tries to buy a gun knowing that a felony is on his record and gets an undetermined status. Then he says he sent in the appeal without saying if he is still undetermined or denied. I can’t speak for anyone but if I found any criminal record that was placed in my name that I am not responsible for I would make it a priority to get it removed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast