Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Re: PICS Status delayed to Undetermined

You're entitled to your opinion, I was told it was a felony arrest, but I was never charged. The incident happened in Ohio however this is my first time trying to purchase a firearm the record has never been a problem any other time in my life other then right now. I still currently work for a law office. I have since moved from Ohio to PA to New York back to PA. Just telling you what I know, my ideal world isn't creating a post for laughs and giggles. I contacted the courts in Ohio today as I'm writing this and they have no record of the arrest. I guess I may have made a mistake when I said charged, but if you have a better idea than please I'm all ears.

(Erie County)

And actually now that I go back and read my post I don't see why I ever stated that I was charged with a felony, however I do see where I stated I had a felony arrest on my record.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post

Didn’t go to court on a felony charge? He also acknowledges a felony charge on his record but fills out a 4473 form where a question specifically asks if the person filling it out has a felony?

I don’t believe PA has traffic offenses on a criminal record unless it is attached to a misdemeanor or above. One has to be fingerprinted to get something on their criminal record.

I'm also questioning why someone would send in the appeal form prior to the undetermined status being decided.

This story doesn’t make sense.

It makes perfect sence if you understand how criminal historys work. If you are criminally charged and the charges are dismissed, they will show up on your record. No matter how the charge is dismissed it will be there with some type of disposition. The only exception to that would be expungement. Chances are the pics operator didnt know how to interpret the criminal history from Ohio. So lets put the person in research as undetermined. In other words pass the buck!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Franklin County)

Spent a week in county jail but was never charged? Sounds like a missed opportunity, so many would have made that a payday.

(Erie County)

From my brief research, it means that something is there, but they can't find out what it is essentially.

(Erie County)

I was only 18, the only thing I knew for certain is that I did not want to spend any more time there as I had already spent a week.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Obiwanginobili View Post
    I was only 18, the only thing I knew for certain is that I did not want to spend any more time there as I had already spent a week.
    GunLawyer001 is your best option here for guidance, you may want to send him a message and ask for a consultation.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Columbia County)

You're entitled to your opinion, I was told it was a felony arrest, but I was never charged. The incident happened in Ohio however this is my first time trying to purchase a firearm the record has never been a problem any other time in my life other then right now. I still currently work for a law office. I have since moved from Ohio to PA to New York back to PA. Just telling you what I know, my ideal world isn't creating a post for laughs and giggles. I contacted the courts in Ohio today as I'm writing this and they have no record of the arrest. I guess I may have made a mistake when I said charged, but if you have a better idea than please I'm all ears.
    The story in your original post in my opinion is odd. I not going to repeat why I think that. I already posted the reasons on my prior posts. I not an attorney so it doesn't matter anyway. I could only suggest getting with your attorney employer and finding out exactly what he found on your criminal history. You should get specific information such as the crime,date of offense , docket number , arresting agency, the disposition etc. At the same time you may what to consult a attorney specializing in gun rights. You never said whether you were still in "undetermined " status or denied. In any event, even if the gun purchase is approved, if I was in your situation, I would still find out what your employer found on your criminal history and if it doesn't belong there or incorrect take steps to get it removed or corrected.

(Bucks County)

Hey everyone, first time posting as I just signed up. Recently, I attempted to purchase a firearm, but the PICS check was delayed and then I found out today, day 7 that it came back as undetermined .

The only thing that I have on my record with regard to criminal behavior is a felony arrests from 8 years ago when I was 18. I got into a shouting match with my sister, nothing physical, but did end with me telling a very condescending officer to shut the fuck up. I was promptly arrested.

However, I was never charged or convicted of ANYTHING. Never even went to court regarding the issue. I knew it was on my background as I worked for an attorney who did thorough background checks and he brought it up to me. He looked into it and stated that he didn't even know why this was part of my record and gave me the job.

I sent in my appeal paperwork today, but I was hoping someone could give some direction. The incident took place in Ohio . I've heard that the appeals process is fair. I do know that some people leave out a significant part of the story, but there is nothing else. I have checked the criminal dockets and civil dockets for PA and Ohio and nothing comes up except for accident caused by me for going too fast.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    The story in your original post in my opinion is odd. I not going to repeat why I think that. I already posted the reasons on my prior posts. I not an attorney so it doesn't matter anyway. I could only suggest getting with your attorney employer and finding out exactly what he found on your criminal history. You should get specific information such as the crime,date of offense , docket number , arresting agency, the disposition etc. At the same time you may what to consult a attorney specializing in gun rights. You never said whether you were still in "undetermined " status or denied. In any event, even if the gun purchase is approved, if I was in your situation, I would still find out what your employer found on your criminal history and if it doesn't belong there or incorrect take steps to get it removed or corrected.
    If you'll take a look at the portion highlighted in red, you will see he is undetermined and starting an appeal.

You seem to be missing information that was posted, and fairly hostile. We are supposed to be polite to the new users here.

But his story is entirely consistent with being in "Contempt of Cop". As in, "You can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride." Officer knows that there is no offense, but he is going to teach the person a lesson by making them go through the system for a while. A week is a long time for this, but not out of the realm of possibility. Given no further action was taken, it shouldn't be an issue as long as the OP can show that what he related was accurate.

(Erie County)

All,

So I got the letter in response to my appeal and the reasons for my undetermined status are as follows:

Warrant: 10/19/2011, I believe this may be an unpaid ticket? But I'm not sure, will be confirming tomorrow. If so, I'll pay it, but I believe 18 Pa C.S. ss 6105 (c)(1) states that a warrant for a moving violation is not disqualifying in PA. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Arrest: 3/27/2011, Domestic Violence, will have to follow up, but I did call about this earlier in the week and they couldn't find anything. Will keep you updated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast