Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Travel to PA training w/o CCW from CT

I'm attending a Ben Stoeger 2 day class in May in PA. I have a resident CT carry and Utah non resident. I have no intention of carrying in PA, just transport gun & ammo unloaded and locked in trunk; I will be staying in Hotel for 2 nights and obviously eating out.

Can anyone confirm or shed some light on the laws regarding attending target/training in PA ?

Best I could find is the exception for target shooting, but it explicitly states for only going to/from.
    http://www.psp.pa.gov/firearms-infor...nsylvania.aspx

Are there exceptions to carrying a firearm without a Pennsylvania License to Carry?
    A License to Carry Firearms is issued to carry a firearm concealed on one’s person or in a vehicle within this Commonwealth. Any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person except in his place of abode or fixed place of business without a valid and lawfully issued license commits a felony of the third degree.
    A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.
    Listed below are exceptions as outlined in 18 Pa.C.S. § 6106. (2) (b) Exceptions:
    ….
    …..
    4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with rifle, pistol, or revolver, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the firearm is not loaded.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Travel to PA training w/o CCW from CT

Carrying unloaded in a case with the ammo separate. Put it in the trunk not in the cabin. To from your hotel. ( your place of abode) Your golden.

Except in Philly. You can open carry as long as you walk. Get in anything on wheels and your not good. I didn't look up if either of your permits are good in PA. check with handgunlaw. it's usually up to date.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Bucks County)

IANAL, but I believe you're good in the car and hotel, but you can't carry because Utah reciprocity only applies to Utah residents: https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uplo..._agreement.pdf

For $20 and about 15 minutes at the right sheriff's office, you can get a PA permit valid for 5 years.
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    Carrying unloaded in a case with the ammo separate. Put it in the trunk not in the cabin. To from your hotel. ( your place of abode) Your golden.
    Get in anything on wheels and your not good. I didn't look up if either of your permits are good in PA. check with handgunlaw. it's usually up to date.
    Both his CT and UT permits cover him for possession in a vehicle. §6106(b)(11) of the UFA - exempts carry of a firearm in a vehicle with a permit/license issued by any other state.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by djeuch View Post
    IANAL, but I believe you're good in the car and hotel, but you can't carry because Utah reciprocity only applies to Utah residents: https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uplo..._agreement.pdf

For $20 and about 15 minutes at the right sheriff's office, you can get a PA permit valid for 5 years.
    ^^^This is worth it.^^^

Looking at the Stoeger website, it looks like your training is either in New Holland or Lower Providence. Rather than hitting the traffic in NJ/NY metro area by taking 95 to 78, take I-84 into PA. Take it to 81 South to Scranton. Lackawanna County is one of the non-resident friendly and quick sheriff's offices. You can then get back on 81 south to the NE extension of the PA turnpike (476). It will take you to 78.

It will be well worth the extra time it will take...plus, you'll avoid the 95 traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom488 View Post
    Both his CT and UT permits cover him for possession in a vehicle. §6106(b)(11) of the UFA - exempts carry of a firearm in a vehicle with a permit/license issued by any other state.
    So let me see if I get this right; The items in bold are what apply and make it legal for me to posses in trunk / locked and also while staying 2 nights. Item 15 below does NOT seem to apply given no reciproprocity w/CT.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...&div=0&chpt=61

8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)
    (4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police), or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms or back or to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S.
    § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer's place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S.
    § 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S.
    § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.

11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state under section 6109(k), provided:
    (i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for individuals licensed to carry firearms under section 6109.
    (ii) The Attorney General has determined that the firearm laws of the state are similar to the firearm laws of this Commonwealth.
    (16) Any person holding a license in accordance with section 6109(f)(3).

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    ^^^This is worth it.^^^

Looking at the Stoeger website, it looks like your training is either in New Holland or Lower Providence. Rather than hitting the traffic in NJ/NY metro area by taking 95 to 78, take I-84 into PA. Take it to 81 South to Scranton. Lackawanna County is one of the non-resident friendly and quick sheriff's offices. You can then get back on 81 south to the NE extension of the PA turnpike (476). It will take you to 78.

It will be well worth the extra time it will take...plus, you'll avoid the 95 traffic!
    excellent advice

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom488 View Post
    Travel, yes. He's not traveling through, though. Neither his CT or Utah permits are valid in PA. Just as our LTCF are not valid in CT. He therefore becomes the same as a resident of PA without a LTCF. Which means he can transport firearms to/from target practice and training. No stops between hotel and range and vice versa. And he has to trust the hotel staff with his guns? IANAL But that is my understanding.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post

Except in Philly. You can open carry as long as you walk. Get in anything on wheels and your not good. I didn't look up if either of your permits are good in PA. check with handgunlaw. it's usually up to date.
    I don't think I would leave firearms in my hotel room. But hey, that's just me. I wouldn't leave an alarm clock in my room.
    I used to travel a lot for work, and after I retired, and had several things stolen, even a full suitcase.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    Travel, yes. He's not traveling through, though. Neither his CT or Utah permits are valid in PA. Just as our LTCF are not valid in CT. He therefore becomes the same as a resident of PA without a LTCF. Which means he can transport firearms to/from target practice and training. No stops between hotel and range and vice versa. And he has to trust the hotel staff with his guns? IANAL But that is my understanding.
    My comment was simply aimed at the statement "get in anything with wheels and you're not good". 6106(b)(11) makes it legal for one to possess a firearm in a vehicle, with a valid permit/license issued by any state. If you're referring to what happens once he arrives at his destination, and exits the vehicle with the firearm, that's a different story - but the statement about vehicle carry was incorrect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast