Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Recommended reading

The October issue of SWAT magazine contains an article entitled "bringing a knife to a gunfight" (page 72).

The author of the article is Michael Janich, a very highly regarded knife and H2H instructor.

Anyone carrying a firearm in public, especially those of you OC'ing, would be well advised to buy this issue and read that article.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Recommended reading

Thanks for posting that. I'll have to check out the Oct issue. Way too many gun people discount the effectiveness of a blade in the hands of a determined/skilled attacker.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by reverserboy View Post
    Thanks for posting that. I'll have to check out the Oct issue. Way too many gun people discount the effectiveness of a blade in the hands of a determined/skilled attacker.
    Agreed, also a weak-side carried folder or fixed-blade (with proper training/practice) coupled with a CCW can provide an immeasurable amount of security for weapon retention purposes.

(Philadelphia County)

I have to check the article out. Is there an online version?

When I was in Mallorca visiting my brother a couple of weeks ago, I had a brief chance to discuss using knives for self-defense etc. with him. He's an expert close-range combat instructor who also teaches knife-fighting and knife-disarming techniques. Here are a few things I learned:

1. When bear-hugged or held in a position that you can't go for your CCW, the first thing to may very well NOT be going for your knife. Head-butt, back of heels to the knees, shins, or balls. You can focus on these potentially more painful defense than strugging to pull out and unfold your knife.

2. When attacking with a knife, keep it out of sight. Hide it behind your back for behind your other arm. This reduces the chance of being disarmed quickly.

3. Hold the knife like how you make a fist to punch. The thumb should wrap around the handle rather than on top of the butt if you held the knife with the blade down. The thumb's strength is very weak in that position and does nothing to help with your grips.

4. Use the knife as if you are punching your opponent. Punch as slash up, punch and slash down, but punch first and follow through with the cut. This is more natural and doesn't require much more knife-fight learning. Stabbing requires more lunging and deliberate body movements.

5. Learn to get cut. Do NOT defend a cut with the inside of your arms (palm-side). You'll risk vital vein/arteries cuts. The top of your arms are better. Obviously, avoiding getting cut is better altogether.

6. Never fight my brother with a knife. You'll have a better chance of getting killed in in less than a 2 seconds with your own knife. Stick with hand-to-hand fight, that way, you'll only get bruises.

Al

(Dauphin County)

thanks Tony i will go out and get that one...

might i add another Mag to the list of a good read..

gun's and ammo book of personal defense , don't be a victim of crime. on stands now lots of good stuff in this one
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    I have to check the article out. Is there an online version?
    I don't think there is an on line version but IIRC, you can purchase individual copies in PDF format.

(Butler County)

Thanks Tony. I missed this year's "essentials of edged weapons defense", any plans for an upcoming class?
    Do you think you'll be able to get Steve Tarani back? Not that I would mind heading back to FL for a class but...

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Havoc View Post
    Thanks Tony. I missed this year's "essentials of edged weapons defense", any plans for an upcoming class?
    No. We won't have a 2009 schedule intil next Jan / Feb.

Do you think you'll be able to get Steve Tarani back?
    I doubt it. There is never enough interest in this area and now that he is working for the .gov his free time is very limited.

There are others.