Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Wyoming County)

Default Re: Ar 15 pistol length to carry with a LTCF?

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    AR15' pistols are great range toys but a poor choice for concealed or open carry. I own one and wouldn't consider carrying it for any reason. You're just going to draw a lot of unwanted attention to yourself and maybe get seriously injured or killed by some overzealous cop. Buy or build one for HD or a range toy but reconsider a AR15 pistol for carry purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    You know, if you read it with a few bits crossed out, that sounds rather Fudd-like.

Just sayin'...
    I don't know that's it's fair to cross out some of the things he wrote so that you can better meet the definition of a Fudd, but whatever.

I'll have to agree that it isn't a great choice for CONCEALED carry unless he wants to dress like Neo. While I respect those who choose to open carry handguns, I will be honest that a strapped AR in any configuration openly carried is going to alert my spidey senses and cause me to give wide berth.

I say that because I am a believer in that right to do so even if I feel it unwise. Imagine the other public at large.
    Last edited by ExFlyinguy; February 20th, 2018 at 10:41 AM.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Allegheny County)

It's been discussed before on this forum. An AR pistol is still a pistol regardless of barrel length or OAL.

And yes it's not much more than a range toy. I have a 7.5" AR pistol. I can shoot it pretty accurately with just a cheek weld.

I suppose in a post apocalyptic world it would make for a decent compact "on the passenger seat" gun. Just make sure the muzzle is outside the vehicle when you fire it!
    Last edited by Hawk; February 20th, 2018 at 11:05 AM.
    Toujours pręt

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kid k View Post
    Im currently in the process of receiving parts to build a pistol as a trunk gun
    Watch for rust on those pins and trigger!
    The temp changes will cause moisture

Quote Originally Posted by PaleDriver View Post
    Watch for rust on those pins and trigger!
    The temp changes will cause moisture
    Thanks for the heads up. And to all for some of the additional facts of it being a pistol, I just recently got the desire for one and just bought a bunch aparts to get it started. There are times when im transport things that i like something a little more than a regular carry pistol. The rest of the time it'll be in the house.
    NRA Endowment Member, N-SSA #9526v

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    I don't know that's it's fair to cross out some of the things he wrote so that you can better meet the definition of a Fudd, but whatever.

I'll have to agree that it isn't a great choice for CONCEALED carry unless he wants to dress like Neo. While I respect those who choose to open carry handguns, I will be honest that a strapped AR in any configuration openly carried is going to alert my spidey senses and cause me to give wide berth.

I say that because I am a believer in that right to do so even if I feel it unwise. Imagine the other public at large.
    I was pointing out that the language used is (almost) identical to that of a Fudd saying that only people with insufficient manhood would carry a handgun.

Progression:
    • Sure, them semi-auto rifles are legal and all, but you shouldn't need more than 1 shot to kill a deer, so nobody should use one for hunting.
    • Sure, them handguns are legal and all, but the game ain't gonna follow you out of the woods, so nobody should carry one.
    • Sure, open carrying a pistol is legal and all, but the only ones who do it are just begging for attention and asking for trouble, so nobody should open carry.
    • Sure, open carrying an AR15 pistol is legal and all, but the only ones who do it are just begging for attention and asking for trouble, so nobody should open carry something that big.
    • Sure, open carrying an AR15 pistol is legal and all, so go ahead.

I (probably) wouldn't, but I won't tell you that you shouldn't.

My 2˘

(Allegheny County)

It wasn't directly addressed in this thread, but make sure you buy a virgin AR lower and build it as a pistol. It's illegal to make a AR pistol out of a AR lower that was originally built as a rifle.
    Toujours pręt

(Jefferson County)

Either have the barrel less than 15" or the overall length less than 26" and the AR pistol will be covered by a LTCF.

18 Pa.C.S.A. § 6102
    § 6102. Definitions

“Firearm.” Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Either have the barrel less than 15" or the overall length less than 26" and the AR pistol will be covered by a LTCF.

18 Pa.C.S.A. § 6102
    § 6102. Definitions

“Firearm.” Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.
    I stand corrected!
    Toujours pręt

(Delaware County)

So I could have the AR15 pistol in a back pack or a Truck gun if the barrel is 15 inches or less or OAL is less then 26 inches. It does not have to be both? What if I decide to just use it at the shooting range and I don't have it loaded in my car can the pistol be over the 26 in mark?

Thanks everyone for responding to my ?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I stand corrected!

Haha! I was like "WHACHU TALKIN' 'BOUT, WILLIS???"

LOL!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast