Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default weaver mount for an sks

how hard is it to but a weaver mount on my SKS. is there any drilling involved? i want to put a red dot on it. also is ATN a good company for optics?

Default Re: weaver mount for an sks

Unless you're installing a side mount much the same as the original mount, it won't hold zero. Most of the SKS scope mounts are replacement dust covers or replacement rear sights (example).

The better dust covers have set screws to help control movement, but it loses zero everytime you take it apart for routine cleaning.

If you're having a rail mount attached to your reciever, it should work fine. But you are no doubt aware the stock will require inletting to clear the new side mount rail, right?

If there's a reason you want to fire 7.62x39 with an optical sight, have you considered a Romanian AK fitted with a scope rail? There are aftermarket mounts that adapt standard weaver rings to eastern bloc side-mount rails. Here's a post for a scope mount for an AK for sale.

(Chester County)

thanks man, im still getting familar with alot of this stuff. this was just an idea that i had last night. i still havent taken my sks apart and cleaned it yet. i might do that this weekend. im alittle scared, ive never taken a gun apart that much.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BFit70 View Post
    thanks man, im still getting familar with alot of this stuff. this was just an idea that i had last night. i still havent taken my sks apart and cleaned it yet. i might do that this weekend. im alittle scared, ive never taken a gun apart that much.
    Its like legos man, just take your time and make a mental note of each pin bolt you take out its always fun the first time, and im sure if you did some searching you will be able to find a rail system for the sks.
    http://www.tapco.com/catalog.aspx?id=269
    or the next link features a more solid setup
    http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?i...5-6a6a555560f3
    there are rails right in the front built into the stock!
    Drakin
    Life and Liberty, Freedom for all.

...i still havent taken my sks apart and cleaned it yet. ... im alittle scared, ive never taken a gun apart that much.
    Fear not, Friar B, there's so much "help" on the internet about SKS assembly I won't even post links. Google is your friend. Just leave the trigger group assembled for now. The rest is pretty intuitive.

(Lancaster County)

The SKS is a very robust weapon yet easy to field strip. I would suggest caution on firing any weapon (SKS included) before an inital inspection and possible cleaning.
    FWIW:
    Most military type rifles (milsurp) are loaded with cosmo as a protection against rust. Not removing this could at least render the weapon inoperatable or worst case a impending KB.
    Please feel free to visit a forum that I moderate:
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fragger View Post
    The SKS is a very robust weapon yet easy to field strip. I would suggest caution on firing any weapon (SKS included) before an inital inspection and possible cleaning.
    FWIW:
    Most military type rifles (milsurp) are loaded with cosmo as a protection against rust. Not removing this could at least render the weapon inoperatable or worst case a impending KB.
    God cosmo is such a pain to fully get rid of. I had 12 ak mags i had to clean, took me forever.
    Drakin
    Life and Liberty, Freedom for all.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by DrakinClaw View Post
    God cosmo is such a pain to fully get rid of. I had 12 ak mags i had to clean, took me forever.
    Drakin
    I always start by getting a disposable baking pan and heating them up in the oven... It runs right out of them...

(Berks County)

God cosmo is such a pain to fully get rid of
    I love the parts washer at work....and night shift!

BFit70, all the info here at your fingertips...leave the page open as your taking her apart and scroll through step by step.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Bucks County)

When i was a little guy my dad was big into shooting, so i wanted this ruger P90 so he and i could shoot toghter. So we go shooting the first weekend we had it and get home, he says ok i have to go out now take the gun apart and clean it. WOW worst thing he could have done. Do u have any idea how many moving parts are exposed in a ruger p90, lol he came home and almost broke when he saw all those springs lay'n there on the table, I will never forget the look on his face. so dont feel bad gotta start some where