Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Question 1911 not FTF or FTE – what is it?

Ok, 1911 gurus, here’s what’s happening:

Taurus PT1911 (no wisecracks, I’ve got 13,000 rounds thru it), internal extractor, Series 80.

Twice now, once in each of my last 2 matches, the last round out of my first magazine (same magazine, Chip McCormick knock-off) chambered in front of the extractor, not under the hook. Slide didn’t quite go into battery, hammer wouldn’t fall. Once I dropped the mag and locked the slide back the still-loaded round shook easily out of the chamber.

I stripped off the slide and checked the extractor tension: a loaded round held in place, rattled a bit when I shook the slide, but didn’t fall out until I tapped the slide firmly on my hand.

The extractor does not *seem* to be able to clock, the firing pin retainer is fairly tight.

The nose of the extractor looks good.

I haven’t taken a caliper to the mags yet, but my Eyeball, Calibrated, Army Issue, 1 Each can’t detect any noticeable difference in the feed lips.

The mag in question was used 3 times between the failures with no issue, and 4 times without issue after the second failure, so it doesn’t happen every time.

I’m shooting 230g poly-coated round nose over 4.7 of Titegroup, which has been my standard load for over 3 years.

The mag has had a LOT of use, and I’m not completely averse to taking it out of the rotation, but I’m a cheap bast frugal guy. If I pull it out and have the same failure, then it’s not the mag’s fault, but NOT failing doesn’t prove it *was* the mag.

Looking for ideas. Anyone else ever see this?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: 1911 not FTF or FTE – what is it?

If it is only happening on the last round I would suspect the magazine spring first, then the follower.

(Delaware County)

Could it be a brass problem. Were both the rounds from the same batch? Could the cases be slightly out of spec or deformed? How many rounds rounds were fired in the match? Was it even possibly the same piece of brass?
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    Could it be a brass problem. <snip> Could the cases be slightly out of spec or deformed?
    Anything's possible, but nothing obviously wrong with the brass that would seem to lead to the issue.

Were both the rounds from the same batch? <snip> Was it even possibly the same piece of brass?
    Same loading session, yes. One regular brass, one nickel plated, both range pick-ups.

How many rounds rounds were fired in the match?
    Lets call it 200 between the 2 matches.

(Delaware County)

That is the extent of my ideas. You seem to have more smithing knowledge than I do. I hope you find an answer, I am curious myself.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Chester County)

When's the last time your changed your recoil spring? The extractor should be able to reach around it with adequate forward pressure.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Allegheny County)

-Can you get it to happen "manually" loading one round from that mag?
    -Can you get to happen when loading just two rounds?
    -Does it happen on factory rounds?

1. Bad follower angle affecting only the last round since the last round is resting directly against the follower.

2. Worn Recoil spring in combination with that specific mag. Can I assume you've replaced all the springs at least once, twice, thrice in 13K rounds?

Process of elimination: Try swapping mag springs with a known good mag. Try swapping followers with known good mag.
    Last edited by Hawk; February 19th, 2018 at 01:41 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    -Can you get it to happen "manually" loading one round from that mag?
    -Can you get to happen when loading just two rounds?
    I have a few dummy rounds I made back in the day that weigh in like my real rounds better than snap caps. I will give that a try.

-Does it happen on factory rounds?
    I've fired less than 2 boxes of factory ammo in the last 3 years, and none since Memorial Day last year, so...

1. Bad follower angle affecting only the last round since the last round is resting directly against the follower.
    Maybe.

2. Worn Recoil spring in combination with that specific mag. Can I assume you've replaced all the springs at least once, twice, thrice in 13K rounds?
    Replaced recoil spring after ~6000 - not counting prior owner's usage. I have another floating around, but this is the first real issue I've had. It *may* be time...

Process of elimination: Try swapping mag springs with a known good mag. Try swapping followers with known good mag.
    Yeah, will probably check. I was really looking to see if someone else had ever experienced the same. Google didn't turn any up.

(Susquehanna County)

I'd suspect a magazine problem if it happens only with that particular magazine. I KNOW you have more than two magazines so set the problem child aside and try a different magazine.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".