Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Blinds (Natural and Man Made) And Regulations

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    Yup, I get you ha ha! You have to carry something in I suppose! I mean, I need binocs and a small pack to carry whatever I need. I need the crossbow of course. ;-)

I can drag out in separate trips if needed but basically the blind, chair and pack adds 20lbs total. I can manage that, trying to stay as lightweight as possible.
    You will find out that you will sort things out over and over for a while...

After hunting many years I have a fanny pack with a foam seat and water bottle hanging from the belt.

The license and basics stay in there all season rotating out the black powder for the rifle rounds and back again.

Come spring, my turkey vest is packed and ready hanging in the closet w/ my hunting suit...

I keep a duffel bag packed for any trip to camp, just add in seasonal clothing.

I still make little changes in what I bring, usually eliminating the things I haven't used or updating clothing...

Each setup has first aid, toilet paper and fire starting materials which get immediately re-stocked....

(Bucks County)

Hello. I am also new to hunting and I'm 40 yrs old. I was wondering how you made out this year. I'm also new to the forum

(Allegheny County)

Gunowner99, I have really enjoyed your posts about hunting so don't feel like they are not useful. I've hunted in the past, and have hunted in PA for the last 4 years or so. So far I've gotten a squirrel and 2 rabbits. I hunt with my brother and maybe another friend. My brother and I are both new. We do all kinds of goofy stuff.

One thing I can say is don't go out on opening day without your doe tags! We were out last year and I watched 2 doe walk down a trail over my shotgun sights for about 2 minutes. They were in the mail the following week.

I usually carry a messenger style hunting pack. It looks like a man purse. No blind, I'll just sit on a log or lean on a tree. Yes, I've see deer this way.

One thing I can say is look around in your area for local commercial farms and conservation areas. They may allow hunting and have links to their hunting permits on their website.

I have an archery tag as well. So hopefully, between archery, rifle, and late season Allegheny, I can get a deer.

Wish you were closer. You could join us and at least see how to NOT hunt!

(Lancaster County)

Gunowner99,
    I see your in Berks, so I'm thinking you are hunting SGL 43 in Warwick ? It gets real busy on opening day with folks from the 'burbs, sounds like a hot summer chicago saturday night when the sun comes up. if your hunting local Id strongly suggest French Creek State Park, go to the Rangers station and get the current hunting map, I usually use the lot at RT345 and Shed road, nearly endless acres of woods to hunt there with nice kept hiking trails to get you to your spot. Do some scouting prior and find a nice big fallen tree to roost by. With the groomed trails I've used one of those big pneumatic wheeled wood amish wagons, load all your crap in it and off you go. I do not get far off the trail 1-200 yards great for hauling the deer out to , bring some ratchet straps.i taught my two Nephews to hunt there and we have taken some nice deer out of there
    Follow the rules it is heavily patrolled by the DCNR and Game Commision but that in my opinion keeps the yahoo's under control. UNLOAD YOUR RIFLE if in the Hopewell furnace historic site (Federal Land) and if hunting with a rifle be careful you may wander into Chester County (Special Regs, Slug Gun only) have a map and understand it.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
    Gunowner99, I have really enjoyed your posts about hunting so don't feel like they are not useful. I've hunted in the past, and have hunted in PA for the last 4 years or so. So far I've gotten a squirrel and 2 rabbits. I hunt with my brother and maybe another friend. My brother and I are both new. We do all kinds of goofy stuff.

One thing I can say is don't go out on opening day without your doe tags! We were out last year and I watched 2 doe walk down a trail over my shotgun sights for about 2 minutes. They were in the mail the following week.

I usually carry a messenger style hunting pack. It looks like a man purse. No blind, I'll just sit on a log or lean on a tree. Yes, I've see deer this way.

One thing I can say is look around in your area for local commercial farms and conservation areas. They may allow hunting and have links to their hunting permits on their website.

I have an archery tag as well. So hopefully, between archery, rifle, and late season Allegheny, I can get a deer.

Wish you were closer. You could join us and at least see how to NOT hunt!
    Thanks for the encouragement. I ask questions because I don't know and wont be embarrassed because I want to learn, be ethical, be lawful, be honest, I want to be the hunter that will be able to teach others in the future and not be a dick and just say put in the work, I get it believe me but I need some guidance to put in the work.

I have doe tags for a few areas to spread my chances out so to speak. Opening day I will see where people are parked but will not hunt, just curious to see where people are. I have an archery stamp and I plan to hunt with my crossbow. I have a backpack that I will have the essentials in to hunt, need to get that organized, all I have is a list now ha ha!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    Gunowner99,
    I see your in Berks, so I'm thinking you are hunting SGL 43 in Warwick ? It gets real busy on opening day with folks from the 'burbs, sounds like a hot summer chicago saturday night when the sun comes up. if your hunting local Id strongly suggest French Creek State Park, go to the Rangers station and get the current hunting map, I usually use the lot at RT345 and Shed road, nearly endless acres of woods to hunt there with nice kept hiking trails to get you to your spot. Do some scouting prior and find a nice big fallen tree to roost by. With the groomed trails I've used one of those big pneumatic wheeled wood amish wagons, load all your crap in it and off you go. I do not get far off the trail 1-200 yards great for hauling the deer out to , bring some ratchet straps.i taught my two Nephews to hunt there and we have taken some nice deer out of there
    Follow the rules it is heavily patrolled by the DCNR and Game Commision but that in my opinion keeps the yahoo's under control. UNLOAD YOUR RIFLE if in the Hopewell furnace historic site (Federal Land) and if hunting with a rifle be careful you may wander into Chester County (Special Regs, Slug Gun only) have a map and understand it.

274,280,052. That's where I want to hunt and 052 is in 5C. I'm hunting bow so I should be good with not worrying about my rifle ha ha! But if I do, I will keep that in mind, more rules to remember ha ha! So French Creek is what SGL or is it not an SGL? I know 052 has to be close to it but I like the sounds of what you are describing, may fit the bill. Maybe we should meet up ha ha!! Just had to ask. ;-)

What is this Amish wagon you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    Gunowner99,
    Sounds like OP should be more concerned with ballistic protection than concealment from wildlife.

(Berks County)

Well that is why I may avoid rifle season!!

(Lancaster County)

I have a pack frame and strap my tree stand or blind to it with my cloth and anything else I take.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456