Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Blinds (Natural and Man Made) And Regulations

You all are so helpful, thank you.

And how the heck do you drag it out? Seems like you need to have your truck within 500 feet to be able to drag it out without dying from exhaustion and if that is the case everyone will be on the fringe of the woods. What am I missing? Not like they are rabbit weight! maybe you all are hercules?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    You all are so helpful, thank you.

And how the heck do you drag it out? Seems like you need to have your truck within 500 feet to be able to drag it out without dying from exhaustion and if that is the case everyone will be on the fringe of the woods. What am I missing? Not like they are rabbit weight! maybe you all are hercules?
    I have never harvested a deer but have seen people use deer carts to get them out. I would never hunt alone so I would have help. I know some people use a tarp to drag them out. You can also quarter them in the field and carry piece by piece.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

A good drag makes a big difference. One that can strap over your shoulder and be "hands free" work well. I have had drags in excess of 1.5 miles, verified by GPS. The meat on those deer tastes better....Although as I get older, I seem to get more selective in taking game at those distances from the truck. LOL

(Lancaster County)

If possible, setup so you are uphill from where you parked

Avoid an uphill drag if at all possible. My usual spot in Pike Co. is about a 2 mile drag but is mostly downhill. It’s brutal but that’s part of the game. That being said the doe i shot this year was on private land and was less than 100 yards. That may have been the worst drag I ever had. The doe was ridiculously fat and I had to drag downhill then uphill through multi flora rose (thorns) the whole way. That one tested the “have fun” motto.

There is some good advice in the other posts about setting up on escape routes in the SGLs. For it to work you have to be the first one in the woods and the last one out.

(Berks County)

I guess the less the distance the better ha ha! So do people leave a cart at their truck and then grab it of necessary? What do you do with the deer while you are off getting a cart?

With the drag, how do you keep the deer from getting all of the earth inside since I assume you field dress before you drag?

I am assuming people don't park too far away from where they hunt otherwise this could be a hard go?

(Delaware County)

I guess the less the distance the better ha ha! So do people leave a cart at their truck and then grab it of necessary? What do you do with the deer while you are off getting a cart?

With the drag, how do you keep the deer from getting all of the earth inside since I assume you field dress before you drag?

I am assuming people don't park too far away from where they hunt otherwise this could be a hard go?
    You leave the tagged dear there and get your cart. If you use a drag it will protect the dear from the dirt.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Bucks County)

A cart makes it easier if you have a trail or log road but through the woods is hard. I use a nylon web loop with a "D" ring and cord put the front legs alongside the neck and tie them in so when you stand up the head, antlers & feet are up off the ground and start out. At 60 yrs old I drug out my largest deer ever. it was a little over a half mile with the first third downhill, the flat and rocky stream crossing was work and the first 50 yards [the steepest part] uphill was a killer but I made it.

the shorter the drag, the better, snow helps a lot. leaves drag better than a dirt road.

When I field dress, I only open the belly and reach up inside the rib-cage and hack off the wind pipe instead of splitting the breastbone. The smaller cavity makes it easier to keep it clean and I don't split the pelvis in the field either.

I found out that the buck was heavy, after dressing him I set out like any other [smaller] deer, with my pack, coat and rifle...After the first step, I couldn't get a second. Had to strip down and leap frog my gear and go back and drag the deer up, rinse and repeat. most of the other deer must have been a lot lighter as I was able to bring my gear along.

I do know that , when I wander in deep, I reach the point where I'm sight seeing as I feel it's too far or too much up hill for my tired butt.
    Last edited by wis bang; February 21st, 2018 at 02:08 PM.

(Berks County)

Okay, that makes sense. I guess it is a tradeoff, if you go in deep there are better opportunities however it's that much longer to drag it bag. In shallow and you may not have as good a hunt but at least you don't have to drag too far.

This is getting discouraging ha ha!

(Dauphin County)

You can drag or use a deer cart. I have done both. Also helps to have a buddy help you drag. When I field dress the deer, I do NOT split the pelvis as this helps keep dirt and whatever off the hind end meat. Some guys do split the pelvis to make it easier to get the the anus/lower intestines out and cleared away, I am able to just cut around from the back side and pull everything up through. Pelvis stays intact and no dirt gets on the hams. I would also inspect your deer after you drag when you get it back to your truck and if you see a dirty spot on the meat, it doesn't matter if it is on the hide, then wipe it down with a paper towel. I would be happy to help you enjoy the outdoors hunting PA Whitetail in any way I could. Bring on the questions. I have helped many work buddies get started. Glad to assist.

(Bucks County)

Okay, that makes sense. I guess it is a tradeoff, if you go in deep there are better opportunities however it's that much longer to drag it bag. In shallow and you may not have as good a hunt but at least you don't have to drag too far.

This is getting discouraging ha ha!
    My shortest drag happened to be about two blocks from the truck. We had agreed to meet for lunch at the truck and I was dropping off a ridge to walk the last bit when I spotted a doe followed by a buck and I managed to shoot the buck just as the doe took notice of me. Well I found out that I left my rope in my turkey gear. Two - three blocks is a long way when you are dragging one by the antlers!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast