Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Blinds (Natural and Man Made) And Regulations

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    Oh no, not at all. Just saying that's the hand I have to play. I am here to learn, not piss people off. Sorry if I came across that way.
    I just read your reply wrong. I only hunt state lands myself. I am working on finding a private place to hunt.

New hunters often run into a wall when asking for help from more experienced hunters. There is often a lot of "you need to put in the work" replies. a lot of us have never had a mentor in hunting so we teach ourselves through the internet and the few guys who will provide advise. I have been hunting with my small group for several years and we have only harvested a few squirrels. Not a big deal and it won't stop us from trying. A walk in the woods with our guns is much better than a day at work.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Berks County)

You know my pain indeed, I get the same along with put up a lot of cameras. Yup, let me flush the money down the toilet now and save the aggravation of having them stolen.

I need a group, I need anyone ha ha!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Delaware County)

You know my pain indeed, I get the same along with put up a lot of cameras. Yup, let me flush the money down the toilet now and save the aggravation of having them stolen.

I need a group, I need anyone ha ha!
    I found out who among my friends ever wanted to hunt. I was lucky that my two best friends were on board. We read all we could, one buddy was a member in a fishing club and some of his fellow members were also hunters. They begrudgingly gave him a little bit of advise. We are getting better as time goes along.

The most common advise given was to put your boots to the ground and hunt as often as you can. Hunt in as many places and ways that you can.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Berks County)

Well, I will try to get out as much as I can, I wont give up on it. I will lso try a few places and see what is what. I am a later in life starter and I am not from here so I have a limited friend base.

You need to give more information to get a better response because the answer will always be "it depends."

What season are you planning on hunting and what is the game you are hunting?

If you are hunting during the archery season in 5C...parts of the archery season, you will be hunting with small game hunters. I always put blaze orange near where I'm hunting, so people can see me, and I still get dumbass people who take shots near me. You need to at least wear an orange hat walking to your stand.

I personally would not recommend leaving ground blinds on gameland as it won't be there next time you are there.

If you have some funds...take a look at Ghost Blind...they really work well as I've had deer right next to my Ghost Blind. I have the Predator and I'm thinking about buying the Runner blind as it's half the size.

The biggest thing about hunting from the ground is limiting your movement. If you are hunting deer...they are color blind, so to wear camo or not is for another day...but if you make sudden movements, you will get their attention.

(Berks County)

Good point, fall deer. Archery then rifle. I know riflke you always have to have your orange on for sure.

How hard is it to carry those ghost blinds and what do you sit on while in them?

(Lancaster County)

if you are going to archery hunt, particularly on SGLs, you need to look at getting a portable tree stand. I use a climber, which has its pros/cons.

Pros: you don't need climbing sticks, tree steps, etc.
    Cons: you are limited to straight, non-lower limbed trees

look for a lightweight one. The one I have is steel and weighs 30lbs..........way too heavy but I use it anyway because its what I have

I'm down in Ephrata. I'd offer to take you hunting but I barely get 3-4 days in the woods and I never know for sure when I am going (except for the rifle season opener of course)

Don't worry about bugging other hunters in SGLs. You bought your license and have as much right to be there as anyone else. Of course, common courtesy is expected. i.e. if someone is already setup in an area, move on. If you are there first and it is still dark, flash your light a few times to let new comers know someone is already there. During archery season, no orange is necessary except when the season overlaps with small game/turkey. Then you need to wear orange to/from your stand and have an orange band around a tree in close proximity to your stand. Rifle/small game seasons, you need orange on your body and head.

I come from a gun family but not a hunting family. I had to figure it out as I went. 20 years from now you will shake your head remembering the dumba$$ stuff you did when you first started........its called learning. Just make sure you have fun or what's the point?

(Bucks County)

You don't need to 'hide' yourself, just use some common sense.

Walk in somewhere you have scouted and seen deer -or- signs of frequent deer travel, brush broused low, scat, rubs and scrapes, etc. and sit where you have a good view and sit still!

No rapid movements, it will always give you away.

Don't overdo the orange, keep it off your hands and arms.

I've seen an archer in total camo but wearing those yellowish leather work gloves...

I spotted those gloves swinging around long before i could tell that there was a man attached...

I ditched my orange gloves and orange coat for a camo coat with an orange camo vest and immediately started seeing more deer.

(Susquehanna County)

There are "minimum" requirement for blaze orange. On SGL or Private where there are many hunters I always hang a neon orange (Old Army PT belt) around the tree I am standing, sitting, or sleeping against/behind same with any type of down tree or bush concealment.
    WHY? 3 fold:
    A. Other hunters see it quickly and only the uninformed or asshats will walk up on you.. most go out around
    B. Other hunters lining up a shot, would hopefully see your blaze strap and realize you are in the line of fire and hopefully not take the shot (go figure the odds on that)
    C. Other hunters see it and realize you are there and either let you know where they are, or move so as not to be in your line of fire

I never hunt SGL until after the 1st weekend. On private land I make sure I know who else has permission to be there. Luckily right across the wee valley I live in I know a land owner who owns almost the whole other side, around 500 acres. he does not hunt it. His grown boys and workers do on weekends.. weekdays it's all mine :-) Now if I can only get eyes on one of the big buck during hunting season I see running around up there the rest of the year.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Yeah well that's all I have to hunt unfortunately. Guess I am not one of the lucky that has access to private land.
    I hunt public land and have had great success. I have spent countless hours scouting and simply set up on escape routes to the thickest cover possible. I usually stand on the ground within 50 yards or so of their established routes. I have horrible days afield if I have the property to myself. If guys are up and moving, then I see deer. If I am lucky, I see decent bucks. Use the land and other hunters to your advantage.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast