Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Quick acquisition options with an astigmatism

So I am currently gathering parts to do a pinned and welded 14.5" and want it to wear something of the dot variety. I had it all planned out in my mind that it would sport an EoTech on top (just a 512, nothing exotic) but then I was reading a review on something the other day and remembered that damned astigmatism I have. Opinions seem to say that something of the Aimpoint style are a no-go because the dot looks like a comet or comma. Granted, not a deal breaker because, in my case, I'm relegated to 100 yards so just center the blur over the target. Some people say that they have moderate success with an EoTech. Some say the circle and dot are crisp and concise even with vision problems. The one thing everyone seems to agree on is that an etched reticle style optic is good to go. That is now leading me to consider a mini ACOG but that is 2x what I was originally considering. But on the other hand, the 4x ACOG I have is perfectly usable even with my craptacular eyesight. Plus, you know, Trijicon. What say you guys?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Quick acquisition options with an astigmatism

I have astigmatism and a 512. I can confirm the distortion, the best I can describe it is that it looks like a starburst to me. No good for any type of precision work but it's still usable for close range work. So I guess it's up to what you want out of the sight. Keeping the brightness lower lessens the affect for ne anyways. Needless to say if I had to do it over I'd go with a low power variable with a standard reticle.

(Bucks County)

Best advice I can give you is go to a store that has Eotechs, Aimpoint and some of the lower cost dots available to look through in person. Some dots are 2 MOA, others 4 etc., each will have characteristics that may work better or worse for your eyes; I think reticles and dots are very personal and subjective.

I have 1 low end dot optic just for kicks. As Penn above me mentions I switched over to Vortex 1-X variable scopes for all my ARs. With my eyes getting older it's the best solution for close and longer range shooting. And cheaper than ACOG.

(Montgomery County)

I have a Vortex spitfire (the gen 2 version with the built in riser and mount) and it is fantastic. My astigmatism makes other optics without a focal distance adjustment a bit blurry. The spitfire has an adjustment that makes it crystal cleaar for me. Check it out.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Lackawanna County)

You need an etched glass reticle or prism style. You can acquire the dot fast with an astigmatism but it’s really hard to be precise. I shoot minute of man with dots lol

(Bucks County)

I ended up going with a 1.5 power ACOG since it fit the size and weight I wanted while working with my eyesight. Plus a discounted Midwest QD mount when I bought it only made it that much better.