Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Black Powder Revolver -- legal to shoot?

LOL and holy crap.

This OP should be a sticky to serve as a reminder where the anti's are really going.

(Wayne County)

Be careful going thru Jersey, no be afraid.

(Westmoreland County)

My daughter lives on Long Island. Yeah....don't ask. In NY...and I think on long island too you cannot carry any "assisted opening" knives. If you get caught with one....you will be charged.....you will be required to post a 100-K bail....and you will come back for your court date. This information came from my daughter's BF who is an attorney in NY.

I'm not speaking of a "switch blade".....just like my knife I bought at Cabela's that has an assisted opening.

(Indiana County)

Back to the ORIGINAL posting, the OP can make all the smoke he wants here in Free America. However, getting your black powder revolver from New York City to Pennsylvania can be a bit of a problem.

Easiest way by car is to head north out of the city, cross the Hudson River via the Tappan Zee Bridge and head for Port Jervis, N.Y., staying in New York State the entire way. Cross the Delaware River at Port Jervis and you're in Matamoros, Pa. If your plan is to head towards the Stroudsburg area, from Matamoros you can do that entirely within Pennsylvania.

If heading towards the Stroudsburg area via the Delaware Water Gap, however, you should be aware that, even unloaded, your black powder revolver is treated like any other handgun in New Jersey, complete with five-year prison sentence if caught. To be New Jersey legal, your
    unloaded black powder revolver must be locked in the trunk of your car, and you must proceed directly to an EXEMPT location (home, range, gunsmith, etc.). Stopping for gas is a big no-no.

(Bucks County)

Lest we forget. The Sullivan Act came out of NYC during the booze-driven racketeering days. The mob was having problems with citizens shooting back at them. With political connections abounding, they got the law passed making it illegal to be armed with a handgun. It was perfect, since they were men operating illegally to begin with; one more law to ignore was just more of the fun.

(Lancaster County)

First what I'm about to say is from my research from ten years ago. So it's very possible this may not be current NY law. NY laws concerning BPR are not unique to NYC but the whole state.
    IN addition to owning the needed supplies to fire a BPR, Once a BPR has been fired it is now a registerable pistol under NY law. OP once you shoot it you can not legally take it home.

Quote Originally Posted by MEK1911 View Post
    First what I'm about to say is from my research from ten years ago. So it's very possible this may not be current NY law. NY laws concerning BPR are not unique to NYC but the whole state.
    IN addition to owning the needed supplies to fire a BPR, Once a BPR has been fired it is now a registerable pistol under NY law. OP once you shoot it you can not legally take it home.
    Interesting, and scary.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Interesting, and scary.
    Though, sadly, not surprising...

(Indiana County)

Once a BPR has been fired it is now a registerable pistol under NY law. OP once you shoot it you can not legally take it home.
    Geez, from a Free State perspective, it just keeps getting stupider and stupider. You can own it but you can't use it, ever.

(Bucks County)

Where do you plan on shooting in PA? Do you know someone with enough land to shoot on? Have a friend that is a member at a gun club that they can take a guest to shoot? I don't know of any indoor public accessible that would allow you to shoot black powder.

Do you know where you can get supplies needed? Not every gun shop has these items.

When I have gone into NJ to shoot at a scheduled match, all guns are locked in cases. Ammo is locked in a second case and I have printed copies of the shoot schedule along with gun club location. Travel directly to the club from PA/NJ line and the same when heading home.

Good luck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast