Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Black Powder Revolver -- legal to shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Be careful going thru Jersey, no be afraid.
    Very good point. NJ has no exemption for black powder handguns. It is a handgun and will be treated as such. Any travel would have to be strictly in accordance with Federal law and I would not stop for anything. Gas up or eat or take a bio break in NY or PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Back to the ORIGINAL posting, the OP can make all the smoke he wants here in Free America. However, getting your black powder revolver from New York City to Pennsylvania can be a bit of a problem.

Easiest way by car is to head north out of the city, cross the Hudson River via the Tappan Zee Bridge and head for Port Jervis, N.Y., staying in New York State the entire way. Cross the Delaware River at Port Jervis and you're in Matamoros, Pa. If your plan is to head towards the Stroudsburg area, from Matamoros you can do that entirely within Pennsylvania.

If heading towards the Stroudsburg area via the Delaware Water Gap, however, you should be aware that, even unloaded, your black powder revolver is treated like any other handgun in New Jersey, complete with five-year prison sentence if caught. To be New Jersey legal, your
    unloaded black powder revolver must be locked in the trunk of your car, and you must proceed directly to an EXEMPT location (home, range, gunsmith, etc.). Stopping for gas is a big no-no.
    I now see you covered this before I posted similar advice. NJ is bad and your driving directions are on target. Also, as to the original post, black powder shooting has to be done outdoors. I know of no shooting range that will allow it indoors because the air handling equipment cannot exhaust it fast enough, not to mention, accelerating the depreciation of filter life.

If anyone does know of an indoor venue that permits it, I would be interested in learning of it.

(Montgomery County)

Just posting a thank you for reminding me that I own some BPRs. Will have to get them out in the spring.

Just chiming in to say thanks to you guys for your information.

I'm staying the hell away from Jersey.

(Bucks County)

Oooooohhhhhhhhh the Humanity!
    SGM, USA (Ret.)

(Lancaster County)

(Chester County)

Come on over to Southern Chester County Sportsmen's & Farmer's Association on Saturday June 9 for a BP pistol shoot. There's usually 15-20 folks there and we shoot from around 20 yards. Non-club members pay a $15 entry fee. There's usually eight matches with 5-6 rounds per match with food prizes typically awarded.

The shoot is handicapped so the further you get into the match as a new BP pistolero, the greater your chances of taking home some bacon...

Here's the link: https://sccsfa.org/

While the shoot starts at 10:00 a.m., most folks get there to set up by 9:15 to 9:30.

FWIW, there is always a core group that comes over from NJ for this event...
    - bamboomaster

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123