Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Self barrel threading

Anyone self thread their own barrels? I have 2 savage 223 varmint guns and want to get them threaded for the suppressor I have on order. However, seems at the cost (about 80-100 dollars a barrel), I could buy something like this:

http://www.cncwarrior.com/1-2-Inch-A...it-p/25760.htm

..and do it myself. Seems pretty straightforward. I have a ton of mechanical experience and equipment (auto repair and heavy equipment). It seems for about 100 bucks I could have the cutter and the 1/2-28 die and save money. Hell I have 2 tap die kits, one of them might have a 1/2-28.

I was just curious if they were effective? I was also curious if the pilot rotates (and thus if there would be any issues with affecting the rifling using the pilot to maintain a concentric cut with the bore?

Anyone use them? Anyone have any opinions?

Thanks,

David

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Self barrel threading

I've done it to several rifles. It isn't difficult or even very time consuming. The issue you will have is that a commercial .223 barrel is going to need to be turned down to be the right diameter for standard .223 threads. Paying to have it turned down and threaded isn't going to be much more than just having it turned down.

(Centre County)

Unless you can absolutely insure that when using that device that the threads are PERFECTLY concentric with the bore, then don't do it. The slightest deviation can/will cause baffle and/or end cap strikes, destroying the suppressor. Gunsmiths who do this type of work are worth what you pay. They have the right equipment and know how to set everything so that the threads are concentric with the bore which means the bullet will exit the bore and the suppressor without hitting anything.

Those tools are fine for DIY threading of a barrel for a flash hider or a muzzle brake. The tolerances for a FH or MB are a LOT greater than those required for a suppressor (the suppressor needs tight tolerances to work correctly).

$80 to $100 to have the barrel done correctly is not a bad price (might save you upwards to $1000+ by not having your suppressor destroyed on the first shot).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Beaver County)

That tool couldn’t be more wrong for turning a diameter. It’s basically a hole saw, meant for cutting holes in thick material. How they even sell that as a barrel turning tool boggles my mind. I’m glad they at least include a disclosure that “annular cutter does not cut at exactly .500” because rotobroaches rarely cut a nice hole to the OUTSIDE diameter they are supposed to, which is what they are normally sold for.

Also there are 2 types of dies. Dies meant for chasing existing threads(to clean off burrs or damage) and then dies for cutting threads, which is what you will need. Even with the proper die it’s difficult to make concentric threads.

So in conclusion, find a gunsmith.

(Bucks County)

One immediate concern comes to mind. The pilot is rotating inside the last bit of rifling at the muzzle. That in itself is a big not in my gun.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    One immediate concern comes to mind. The pilot is rotating inside the last bit of rifling at the muzzle. That in itself is a big not in my gun.
    They designed it to have the pilot not rotate, the tool rotates on the pilot. But none the less still wouldn’t use it.

(Montgomery County)

Pay to have it done once. The cost of the "tool", plus the cost of a new barrel could be saved not to mention all the frustration. I have not used the tool listed but I have cut 10,000's of pipe threads and other. The tolerances needed to be "straight" I dont think could be achieved without using a proper lathe and tooling. Best of luck with your choice.

Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by spartakis252 View Post
    They designed it to have the pilot not rotate, the tool rotates on the pilot. But none the less still wouldn’t use it.

(Lackawanna County)

You will need concentricy from both muzzle and Chamber end. If you want to save money and have the knowledge then pull the barrels and just send them. You can get both cut and threaded for under 150 if removed with shipping

rhose are for muzzle brakes not suppressors. Ive used them on cut down ak barrels and wouldnt risk the money on a can to a cheap job

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    rhose are for muzzle brakes not suppressors. Ive used them on cut down ak barrels and wouldnt risk the money on a can to a cheap job
    Correct I have the 7.62x39, 7.62x51 set and have done several SKS', and AK barrels, the tool works well for that as long as you take your time. I would not use it for threading a suppressor for all the reasons stated above.

CNC Warrior has been making these, other tools and parts for a long time and they are a solid company.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast