Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: So... My brother got a handgun for christmas...

Some people live with drama all their lives.

My old room mate knocked up his best friend's wife and it was finally discovered about a year after the kid was born.
    I can remember my room mate telling us he was "going to meet Bill to talk about things" - they were going to meet up in a park, in the winter.
    "NOOO!!!! Are you INSANE????" We thought he was going to get shot and left for dead.
    Oddly enough, they worked out some sort of fucked up agreement and... get this - worked together (with daily interaction) at the same job for a few years after that.

Real life Jerry Springer stuff. That's just the condensed version.

Guns and these sorts of situations are usually a bad mix.

Agree with giving it back. If you have your LTCF you can legally posses the handgun as "loaned". Give it back to the douche, wash your hands of it, and let him fuck up someone else's life.

(Allegheny County)

Maybe they should break off the relationship in a neutral location. like a hot hotel room.

Is boyfriend an ex Marine?

(Venango County)

Give it back? I would ask for a PICs check to be passed by the boyfriend since the process was not above board. I would be concerned about returning a firearm to a prohibited person.

We missed the unlikely but possible fact that the 21 y.o. got a LTCF. That is the only way he could have received the firearm without a check. A temporary loaner if you will.

Like has been said, a background check must be done for the receiver to take possession even as a gift. Now, had the mother and boyfriend been married, then a handgun can be given up and down the family line but never sideways or diagonally.

IANAL but now people seem to be in awkward legal positions and this may all be innocent or it might not be innocent depending on the boyfriends status and motives.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    Now, had the mother and boyfriend been married, then a handgun can be given up and down the family line
    Nope. I'm pretty sure this was discuessed before and the consensus was that unless the "boyfriend" legally adopted 'the son' then he's NOT the father and has to follow the same transfer procedures as 2 strangers would for a handgun transfer. Just being married to Mom doesn't mean anything.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    Nope. I'm pretty sure this was discuessed before and the consensus was that unless the "boyfriend" legally adopted 'the son' then he's NOT the father and has to follow the same transfer procedures as 2 strangers would for a handgun transfer. Just being married to Mom doesn't mean anything.
    This is quite possible. Can you adopt at any age (non-minors)? And then I wonder who is responsible for what in a mixed or blended 'family', then?

[I always had an old-fashioned belief that marriage was historically not about love but inheritance and legal recognition of a familial unit.]

But in any case, here they were not married at time of transfer.
    Last edited by TaePo; February 18th, 2018 at 02:57 PM.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Dauphin County)

So I've been talking this over with the brother in question, he says he refused to actually accept it and will continue to do so until the transfer is done and the gun is legally his, going so far as to not touch it. It hasn't moved from where the boyfriend placed it Christmas day.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by sre5079 View Post
    So I've been talking this over with the brother in question, he says he refused to actually accept it and will continue to do so until the transfer is done and the gun is legally his, going so far as to not touch it. It hasn't moved from where the boyfriend placed it Christmas day.
    The legality issues here are significant, but legality issues aside, you and your family are in a potentially dangerous situation.
    You need to think it through and defuse the situation in the safest way possible.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    The legality issues here are significant, but legality issues aside, you and your family are in a potentially dangerous situation.
    You need to think it through and defuse the situation in the safest way possible.
    The situation is weird cause right now the guy lives with us, and until it's broken of, he apparently still is (I told my mom to just end it now but... Yeah.) So it has stayed in the house since the guy moved in.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by sre5079 View Post
    The situation is weird cause right now the guy lives with us, and until it's broken of, he apparently still is (I told my mom to just end it now but... Yeah.) So it has stayed in the house since the guy moved in.
    What are the approximate ages of everyone involved.
    And about how long has your mom been living with him?
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast