Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: 81% Police Favor Training & Arming School Teachers & Admins to Protect Students

I don't think "arming teachers" is the answer, but I do think that allowing teachers to BE armed is a step in the right direction.
    Maybe it's a matter of semantics, but when you say "arming teachers", it doesn't sit well with people. Antis don't want ANYONE to be "armed" and it just sounds like you want to shove a gun in a teacher's hand and call it a day. I don't want the wrong teachers to be "armed" - I want teachers who know how to shoot, and are willing to put themselves in harms way for their students to have that option.

You can't expect, or assume that "teachers" WANT to be armed - at least not enough of them to make a difference.
    I don't know what the answer is, but If Mr. Jones already carries outside of school, he shouldn't have to leave his sidearm at home.
    Maybe he's required to show a level of proficiency using his weapon before having it at school - that seems logical - but give him the option.

The suggestion to "arm teachers" isn't a very good one in my opinion, because it sounds ridiculous - and it is.
    "Arm", meaning "give them a gun to make them "security" is absurd to ME - just think about how that sounds to someone who doesn't want guns anywhere NEAR a school.
    Teachers should not be used AS security, they should simply have the option of being an added layer of defense if they should feel they are able to help.

I don't know if that made sense. I should be in bed. Goodnight.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: 81% Police Favor Training & Arming School Teachers & Admins to Protect Students

Administrative staff, the core administrators, not the teachers.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Crawford County)

Having a teacher carry a firearm will change the entire dynamic that is involved in teaching. When you carry a firearm, your whole approach to interaction changes. You are constantly scanning, doing threat assessment, considering options. These are all things teachers are not doing and are incompatible with the job. And an armed teacher can be easily disarmed. I think it is a horrible idea.

I favor a robust screening process and the presence of professional security vetted routinely.

(Montgomery County)

Is my mic broken?
    Administrative staff, not teachers.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I was armed with an expandable baton at birth, I am self trained in its use.
    And as you become older it turns into a water hose.

Most people are idiots with guns. A teacher with a couple hours of training and a gun is a bad idea. At a minimum it should be a cop.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    Is my mic broken?
    Administrative staff, not teachers.
    What's the difference? They are probably even more useless than the teachers.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    What's the difference? They are probably even more useless than the teachers.
    There is a difference between an armed presence in the classroom and an armed presence in the school.
    Senior administrative staff designated as the two or three people selected to go through the training and represent the armed presence in the school.
    I am talking about a LEOSA type of program, where the selected staff go through annual background checks, training, certification, licensing, registration, police interview, and credentials from the state.
    I am talking about vetting and training two or three senior staff members in every school.
    It is completely reasonable and completely doable, and a hell of a lot cheaper than putting an armed guard in every school.
    We made a similar program to arm pilots after 9/11, there is no reason why we can't do the same for schools.

(Montgomery County)

I am almost sure that my mic is broken.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclectic Collector View Post
    Nope. Heard you loud and clear. Read what was said carefully. Esp. the part about training, weapon security admin, and taxpayer burden.
    I read it.
    If you want me to break it down I will, but I have been repeating myself for several posts.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast