(Cambria County)

Default Re: Census information

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    Are you a gun owner Candace?
    Sure am! Just recently purchased my third, actually. 😊

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    It's somewhere between 0 and 300,000,000.
    Lol! Not for my county. I'd be shocked if 300,000 PEOPLE lived here. 😉

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by CandaceM4 View Post
    Sure am! Just recently purchased my third, actually. 
    Do you have any formal training?
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Irwin Inhabitant View Post
    WHY are you so curious? Are you inquiring about gun ownership in general? Or just the percentage of those evil black AR 15's?
    I know why you're asking. It's probably for the same reason that I can feel a bit of tension from a good bit of the people that have commented to this thread. (I probably should have led my thread with "I'm a gun owner". Haha)
    In all honesty, I'm asking for a few reasons.

I'm asking because I'm a parent.

I'm asking because I'm almost certain that the number of gun owners in my area is quite high. (One of these gun owners is myself and 19 of the 20 people/households that I've met since moving here also own at least one gun, if not enough to take on a zombie apocalypse. Haha)

I'm asking because I also know that the number of mentally challenged persons in my area is also high, which (right or wrong) gives me more concern. (We have 2 local companies that house said individuals and integrate them into the community. Which is great! But also makes me stop and think..)

... it's got me thinking that my children's local school (really, all schools) need to be following the lead of the Florida school and make sure that our students and faculty are as "prepared" as possible for a tragic situation like that.

Lastly (and I feel most importantly) I don't feel my children's school IS doing enough to be "prepared". I figured that, instead of whining about it, I'd actually talk to the people (the school board) who make these decisions and hopefully get a good and honest dialog started about what each and every one of us can do to educate our children about gun safety and educate both students and faculty on what to do if (God forbid) there's an active shooter in the school.

And, I figure, if I have numbers (or an accurate guesstimate) as to how many households have guns, how many have mentally ill individuals, and how often bullying and/or violent crimes occur in our community that maybe I'd actually be taken serious by these people.

While we can't completely control when (or how) bad things will happen to us, I do believe that preparedness and accepting the harsh fact that it could happen anywhere (including a school) can literally be the difference between life and death for many more people. Because while millions and millions of people possess guns and would never shoot a person (short of possibly in self defense), the fact remains that there are other people who have guns (legally or illegally) who have.. And who will walk into a school, church, concert ect. and mindlessly start shooting.

Hope this answers your question... And that others read it and realize that I'm not here, asking this question, because I want your guns (or mine!) taken away. I just want to educate myself as much as possible and, hopefully, help educate (and protect) others. 😊

(Montgomery County)

81% of Police Favor Training and Arming School Teachers and School Administrators to Protect Students from Mass Shootings.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=331630

Also directly linked here.
    https://www.policeone.com/gun-legisl...-gun-violence/

(Cambria County)

Do you have any formal training?
    I do! I did a brief stint in the United States Army, where my partner was an M-16 named Fred. I also went to college for Criminal Justice and First Response, where I also had safety and hands on training with everything from a 9mm to an AK 47 to a double barrel shotgun (my least favorite lol). And, before all of that, I had informal training from my father who is (now retired) a Major of the USMC. 😊😎🇺🇲 Now, I go to a local indoor range where I target shoot with my 9mm, .380 & .22.

(Montgomery County)

I do! I did a brief stint in the United States Army, where my partner was an M-16 named Fred. I also went to college for Criminal Justice and First Response, where I also had safety and hands on training with everything from a 9mm to an AK 47 to a double barrel shotgun (my least favorite lol). And, before all of that, I had informal training from my father who is (now retired) a Major of the USMC.  Now, I go to a local indoor range where I target shoot with my 9mm, .380 & .22.
    What make and model is your 9, 380, and 22?

(Cambria County)

81% of Police Favor Training and Arming School Teachers and School Administrators to Protect Students from Mass Shootings.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=331630

Also directly linked here.
    https://www.policeone.com/gun-legisl...-gun-violence/
    I, respectfully, would have to strongly disagree with Police. At least for our school. Unfortunately, we don't exactly have the cream of the crop when it comes to a chunk of our teachers. Some have even been charged with crimes.. Yet here they are, teaching my children. If those same people had guns in their classroom, I'd give up my business and homeschool my kids. While I love my kids, that's the LAST thing I want to do. LOL!

(Lehigh County)

This might be of interest: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.ph...ht=safety+book New gun safety book for kids!
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Montgomery County)

I, respectfully, would have to strongly disagree with Police. At least for our school. Unfortunately, we don't exactly have the cream of the crop when it comes to a chunk of our teachers. Some have even been charged with crimes.. Yet here they are, teaching my children. If those same people had guns in their classroom, I'd give up my business and homeschool my kids. While I love my kids, that's the LAST thing I want to do. LOL!
    Why are you letting your kids be schooled by teachers that have been charged with crimes?
    For that matter, why are you letting your kids be schooled by teachers that are not the cream of the crop?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast