Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Question how to: center scope height for ar10 type platforms

i have a steiner tsxi mounted on my daniels defenbce 308 and for the life of me i cant figure out how to find the center scope height. everything im reading says measure the bolt diameter and divide it in half and then to also line up the top of the bolt to the bottom of the optic but how am i supposed to do that in an ar? I need these numbers to plug into my ballistic calculator. Pretty much a n00b to optics and precision rifles in general. also side note what weight bullet have you found works best in a 1:11 twist barrel?
    Gott mit uns

(Chester County)

Default Re: how to: center scope height for ar10 type platforms

Center of scope height will be determined by the mount you choose. Use this chart: https://www.brownells.com/guntech/ri....htm?lid=11213

Also, this: https://www.sinclairintl.com/guntech....htm?lid=16090

On an AR: with BCG installed, measure from center of rear of BCG up. The bolt is on a coaxial line with the BCG.

As for bullets: 1:11 is one of those intermediate twists. Anything from 147 to 180 should be right in your wheelhouse. I shoot 175 SMK's and Nosler 175 CC's out of my two .30 cal bolt guns with great results.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: how to: center scope height for ar10 type platforms

I just went through the exercise of mounting a scope on an AR10, I wanted to duplicate the cheek weld using standard A2 iron sights

For a good reference, the peep aperture on a standard AR is 2.6" above bore centerline, I went with the Leupold Mark 2 https://www.leupold.com/scope-mounts...ounting-system
    this puts the center of the crosshairs at 2.6" above the bore and 1.4" above the height of the top surface of the rail, and the forward cantilever gives clearance to the charging handle while providing the nose (nearly) to the charging handle which I prefer and was trained to do by the USMC using irons, some folks prefer the "lean back" hold requiring the scope moved rearward, blocking the charging handle

most scope mounts are taller than this, I think the Burris PEPR is a bit higher at 1.5" above the rail if you prefer this, The Leupold allows clearance for a 40mm objective with about 3/8" clearance to the rail

Hope this helps
    Last edited by SgtRecon; February 15th, 2018 at 12:42 PM.