Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Looking for .38 Special +P+

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    Not quite correct. There are some H&K's that, in the owner's manual, state they are approved for +P+. Also, there is a J-frame Smith that was approved for use with +P+ and had it laser etched on the frame - I believe on the underside of the top strap.

Since there is no SAAMI spec for +P+, as has been pointed out, you are buying a "pig-in-a-poke". You have no idea the pressure generated - which tells me that H&K has great (maybe misplaced) faith in their product. As for the Smith, you have to understand where +P+ ammo originated. Such ammo is made under contract for specific agencies, for use in specific, manufacturer approved firearms. That Smith mentioned previously would have been approved for a specific load, for a particular agency. Since we have no idea what load was approved for that gun, you are still taking a big chance by using +P+ ammo that has found its way to the commercial market.

The simple answer is "DON'T". If you want more power, buy a gun of the appropriate caliber.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

How can H&K make that claim when they don't have a SAAMI Spec? Is there a CIP spec, which most commonly used in Europe?

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneCC View Post
    How can H&K make that claim when they don't have a SAAMI Spec? Is there a CIP spec, which most commonly used in Europe?
    Well it looks like the CIP has one spec for the 38 special at 1500 bar.
    http://www.tiropratico.com/CIP/Commi...nente/38sp.pdf
    That converts to a whopping 21,755 psi.
    Winchester states their +p+ runs 23,500 psi max.
    http://winchesterle.com/Lists%2FCata...FRA38110HP.pdf
    SAAMI specs +p at 18,500 psi. and standard load at 17,000 psi.
    Proof loads are said to be in the 25-27,000psi range.
    Interesting stuff. Agree with others to go to a .357 mag if more is wanted/needed.

Edit: What does H&K make in 38 special?
    Last edited by cephas; March 10th, 2018 at 03:16 PM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

+P+ can be dicey..esp in smallish .38 revolvers. I've been a reloader for decades and worked up some reel hot .38s. over the years. You might try going that route. Recoil gets wowzer as you go up, and I think most .38 bullets are designed to expand at +P vels. Be careful and have fun. Ouch!

(Delaware County)

I would avoid over pressure loads in a .38 no matter the model or brand. I would go up to a .357 if you need the extra power. Not to mention even some .357's are not able to deal with a steady diet of hot loads.

What gun do you want to shoot the loads out of? Is it for carry or fun? More info would make the thread more interesting.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    I would avoid over pressure loads in a .38 no matter the model or brand. I would go up to a .357 if you need the extra power. Not to mention even some .357's are not able to deal with a steady diet of hot loads.

What gun do you want to shoot the loads out of? Is it for carry or fun? More info would make the thread more interesting.
    Yup..I shoot a Ruger .357 SP-101, mag-na-ported 2" SS revolver w full-house .357 loads sometimes..reminds me of that .44mag I sold bks it hurts my arthritic hands! ;-) I love that revolver, but wish it held 6-7 rds!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123