Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Armstrong County)

Default Savage model 219

I have a Savage model 219 in 30-30 and a 20 ga. barrel. Both forearms and the butt stock and both barrels are stamped underneath with "AX37". Anyone know what this means, does this mean it was made in 1937? There are no serial numbers on the gun.

Default Re: Savage model 219

Quote Originally Posted by fallsflyer View Post
    I have a Savage model 219 in 30-30 and a 20 ga. barrel. Both forearms and the butt stock and both barrels are stamped underneath with "AX37". Anyone know what this means, does this mean it was made in 1937? There are no serial numbers on the gun.
    The "AX37" is an assembly number that should also be stamped on the top left inside of the frame. This number is also found on the stock as you mention, but under the butt plate. Assembly numbers have nothing to do with the year the gun was made. If the barrel address is "Utica, NY", then the gun was made from 1937 to 1946. After 1946 the plant moved to Chicopee Falls, and production started there in 1947. I don't have the dates with me as I am visiting my daughter in Annville, PA., but the plant moved again to Westfield, Mass, and production ceased there about 1967. You have what was called a "Utility" Model by Savage. While the only model numbers put on the "Utility" sets were 219/220, they actually had their own separate catalog numbers starting with 221, depending on the caliber, gauge, and barrel length of the shot barrel. These sets are difficult to find. A caution to buyers.....if the set you are thinking of buying does not have a separate forearm for each barrel with all matching assembly numbers, then it is not a factory original "Utility" set, but only a gun that an extra barrel has been fitted. These do not command the price of a matching "Utility" set. More information on these Hammerless model Savages can be found on savagesingleshots.com . I hope this information helps some.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Savage model 219

Hi oopy, welcome to the forum and thank you for the information on a rare gun.