Hi,

Does anyone journal/take notes on their shooting trips or round count?

I am still a young man but have been shooting on my own for about 15 years. I have spent this time learning and developing fundamentals. I would say I have had much exposure, a bit of expertise, and little mastery. I have had a lot of fun however, I always look for ways to make it better. In some successful years, I was able to up the fun by spending a lot more $$$. I am not in one of those lucrative periods.

During this same 15 years I have been in and out of school (yes I know, probably too long). I am reaching the final stages of my PhD and the biggest improvements with this came because i began to journal my research. No exhausting details, just stuff i would want to refer back to. I am also from an exercise science and sports training field so charting workouts and fitness progression has been a major facet of what I do.

When I read some reviews or see posts, I see some data presented and it always interests me because i love research. This is nothing new but I never applied it because I have no interests in writing reviews or producing youtube videos. I realized charting my trips may just make my hobby more enjoyable. I already employ some techniques such as marking magazines with a number to help troubleshoot if need be.

I have also never kept track of round counts on any firearms I have owned. I once bought and sold a lot but not so much anymore. I have a little and I try to maximize my use of them. I see round counts in the classified ads, and I am skeptical of them to say the least. I may be wrong and find that most shooters log round counts and have a pretty good base to estimate use.

I was thinking of a small book such as a "field notes" book. Throwing a tape measure in my bag for groups. I was thinking of logging:

date/time/place/indoor-outdoor
firearm used
rounds fired
ammo used
Modality? bench, standing, prone, one hand or off hand or weak hand?
group diameter
list issues: jam, FTF, #of negligent discharges (just kidding)
comments

I know a lot of people do velocity. This is great but not in my wheelhouse right now. Im not looking into buying one at the moment but hopefully one day. I'm probably not going to pull a NUTNFANCY and save every target i use over the next 20 years but I am open to marking them with a pen and snapping a photo I can archive.

TLDR: I'm interested to hear from people who collect some data on their shooting. What do you do? Anything cool I am missing? Any simple extra gear I can bring along?

Thanks Everybody