Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default S&W 329 PD ULTRALIGHT REVOLVERS, CAN THEY HANDLE FULL POWER LOADS?

Looking at getting one of these, which is the scadium framed, titanium cylinder light weight.....I had the Taurus version years ago and they recomended not going over 240 grain loads? Anyone know if the Smith is any stronger? Would like to fire full power 44mag through it?

Default Re: S&W 329 PD ULTRALIGHT REVOLVERS, CAN THEY HANDLE FULL POWER LOADS?

They will handle any SAAMI spec ammunition. The bigger question is can you handle the recoil generated by this lightweight. This definitely a "Carry a lot, shoot it a little" firearm. Great for backpackers or for hikers or fishermen in bear country.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

A good crimp matters. A lot

(Lancaster County)

^^ very true^^
    I used to have the 325PD (45 ACP). Certain factory loads would dislodge the bullet from the casing far enough that they extended through the front of the cylinder effectively making it a one shot revolver.
    I eventually found compatible ammunition but still sold the revolver after the cool factor wore off. The scandium series definitely doesn’t strike me as a gun that will last long enough with use to be passed down through a few generations.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Mercer County)

Make sure whatever full power loading you use have heavy crimps. The S&W PDs can handle the heavy loads with no problem
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Berks County)

All the above is the reason for the load caution, not blowing up the gun.

(Blair County)

I had the Taurus version which weighed the same and with 240 gr rounds i thought the recoil was no problem at all, but Taurus recommended no bullets heavier, I would hand load so not worried about the crimps.

(Lebanon County)

last i heard they were having an issue keeping the stainless blast shields in place on those aluminum guns, they even get that straightened out?
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Pike County)

The gun can but I could not. Numb hand after three rounds. I made a hand load by going up a grain at a time until it was just too much then backed off a grain of powder. I then tried some of the Garrett Cartridges made for this gun. A 310gr hard cast with a large flat nose. They have a stiff recoil but not as bad as the 240gr factory loads. Great penetration with a sharp hard shoulder that cuts. These are designed as skull busting bear load for the 329PD. It is my preferred carry gun for hiking. Light weight gun that still packs a serious punch
    JC Blauvelt Gunsmith,Inc. JCBgunsmith.com

(Clarion County)

Always thought this is one of those firearms you'd use lighter loads for practice and full loads when carrying.
    Similar situation with their K-19 .357 magnum.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast