Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Glock "Bulge" in Model 17L

I just bought a Glock 17L gen-3. I was considering getting an after-market barrel for fear of the dreaded Glock Bulge. Then I got a bunch of "Processed" range brass from Everglades Ammo. I loaded 124 grain plated bullets from Everglades with 3.9 grains of Titegroup. I couldn't detect any case bulge and when I re-sized the brass, they all gauged the same as the factory new ammo I had from Blazer Brass (115 gr. JHP) and Speer (124 gr. GDHP). So here's the question, is there really bulge-boogieman waiting to blow me to Kingdom Come of is the 17L not a case-bulge offender?

B-t-w, I'm really not a semi-shooter, I prefer wheel guns. I only just started shooting my Glocks (Model 22 and Model 17L). Normally, I shoot my Smith & Wesson Model 28 and my Model 67, both with reduced loads (125 gr. coated round nose bullets and 3.0 grains of Trail Boss powder).

Mahalo.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Glock "Bulge" in Model 17L

I've loaded many thousands of Glock 17 brass, never had any issue with the dreaded "Glock bulge". I think it's one of those internet memes that spreads out of control. I case gauge every round of 9mm, about 1 out of 150 will fail for some reason.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I've loaded many thousands of Glock 17 brass, never had any issue with the dreaded "Glock bulge". I think it's one of those internet memes that spreads out of control. I case gauge every round of 9mm, about 1 out of 150 will fail for some reason.
    I haven't loaded as many as wanneroo but I load .40's which I think caught the brunt of the bulge stories from what I've read. I haven't detected many issues. An occasional case won't fit in my case gauge after resizing so I run it through the Lee Bulge Buster. I think it was either over blown or the glock barrels got better in later gen's
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Franklin County)

The 'Glock Bulge' started with the gen. 2 .40 caliber gun. The early barrels were loose in the chamber near the rear of the barrel. Glock, as always, was slow to respond the consumer complaints and the problem persisted for years. Finally it reached legendary proportions and the company quietly changed the .40 caliber chamber thus curing the bulge. Thanks to the internet you still hear stories of the dreaded bulge. Mostly from people who purchased the early .40 calibers second hand and are suddenly amazed at their problem Glock. Enjoy your 17L.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by coalcifer View Post
    The 'Glock Bulge' started with the gen. 2 .40 caliber gun. The early barrels were loose in the chamber near the rear of the barrel. Glock, as always, was slow to respond the consumer complaints and the problem persisted for years. Finally it reached legendary proportions and the company quietly changed the .40 caliber chamber thus curing the bulge. Thanks to the internet you still hear stories of the dreaded bulge. Mostly from people who purchased the early .40 calibers second hand and are suddenly amazed at their problem Glock. Enjoy your 17L.

yup....and, i'm anything but a glock fanboy. enjoy the 17l
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.