Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Alternatives to AR's for shooting 5.56

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Actually, I bought one OD colored RDB last Summer, and liked it so much I bought another OD RDB in November. Zero problems with either, except for 30 rd USGI mags self-ejecting from the first one. I "tweaked" the mag catch penetration in the mags and they now retain 100% in both RDBs and ARs.

Noah
    The RBDs seem pretty good function wise. I don't really like the look of Kel Tec's, but they have some pretty neat stuff. The RBD seems pretty handy though. I'm reading people's comments and watching YouTube videos/looking at prices. I haven't abandoned this thread, just haven't responded. I really like the looks of the Bren 805's. I did see them mention a possible Gen2 in 2018 (the link for the ShotShow video was posted on page 1 or 2 of this thread). Interesting. I like the stock better. I don't know if a reciprocating bolt handle and no bolt release are deal killers on the current 805's (not much different than an AKM). The 805 pistol as an SBR looks really, really good. MAC has a video of the rifle and pistol. Both of them look great. If I had the funds, I'd buy both and a Scorpion.

(Westmoreland County)

I bought the Bren 805 carbine. Should be able to pick it up tomorrow. $1,351 shipped from Bud's (insured shipping + rounded up to NRA).

I'm in the minority with a Mini-14 or Mini 30. Stick an accurizer, on it from the three or four that tout their products on the web and buy the variable gas blocks or multi-pack fixed-rate gas bushings and they shoot great well out to 100 yards. (Plus they don't eject your rounds into the next township while leaving them perfectly able to be reloaded rather than horseshoe shaped).
    "If" they ban the evil ones again, depending on the definition of "evil", the Mini-14 Ranch Rifle does NOT have a pistol grip or those "evil" flash suppressors that completely hide the location of the shooter! It takes any and all size Mini 14 mags including the 5 and 10 round variety which of course, makes them "less evil".
    And the price tag is far better than some of the alternatives mentioned here. Especially if you find a used Mini.
    Why you'ed bee a foow if you didn't give em anudher chance! Right Colonel? (Dahh Dah Dah Dahhhh, Dah Dahh Dahhh)!
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    The problem with the C93 is all to often the Century part.
    More the assemblers Century jobber these out to. They couldn't build an AR to save their lives. Regardless, best 5.56 gun I ever had and regret selling it.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Westmoreland County)

Just picked it up today

My fave swapout for an AR is my Ruger Mini-14 "Ranch rifle" in SS, w a SS side folder stock (I think it was a Tapco one, tho it has been many yrs since I bought it)..can be loaded & fired w stock folded and it & 3-4 loaded 30rd mags, fits just fine in a "Tennis Racket case". ;-) ;-) Grab a tube of 3 tennis balls and nobody even gives it a 2nd look while traveling. Never leave home w/o a decent 5.56...........................

In a 'bugout situation' the thing can even fit with a mag up the well. FWIW. Worth a look anyways, huh?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Just picked it up today

Let us know how it shoots!
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Westmoreland County)

Shoots high right now. I only got to shoot a few shots at the range. I like the flip up sights on this. The trigger is great, no need to think of trying to upgrade it. Below is a photo of the first three shots at 50 yards, open sights, on a bag. I was aiming in the middle of the target. PMC XM855 62 grain.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Just picked it up today
    That's great! Now get that sucker dialed in. What optic are you going to use?

(Washington County)

Funny I commented on this post awhile ago about the C93 and then I ended up buying a used C93 (HK33) in 5.56. Found one for $641 out the door and I paid the dealer online. I just need to make a journey there to pick it up!
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast