Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Personal Carry Revolver Recommendations

I have just recently "divorced" myself from my EDC gun, the Glock 43. I have returned to the Glock 19 for my EDC, but I realize that there are a dozen or so times each year that I need/want to carry a smaller "I'm not carrying a gun" gun. Currently, I have an S&W model 38 Bodyguard (the original shrouded hammer blue steel one). I like this gun, but ....

I'm looking at other options, and one of the options is the Kimber K6S with night sights. I have been looking at these at several different shops and have dry fired several of the K6Ss... the trigger is VERY nice. I had a Ruger LCR and the trigger on the K6S trigger feels just as good. (I liked the Ruger LCR, but man ... shooting it was not fun.)

I don't know, maybe its just nostalgia - but K6S is kind of calling my name.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

I have a SW 340PD. It's super light which is nice to carry, but not fun to shoot. .357 is damn near intolerable.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I am seeing more and more the advantages of a revolver over a semiauto based simply on the pace at which individual states and cities are moving to restrict magazine capacities and even numbers of rounds in a magazine. For sure, New York where seven rounds are the limit and and ten round mags......you can find yourself in violation by simply crossing the border to go to dinner. How silly is it that you have to stop and removed several rounds before crossing the border. As if those rounds are the difference between you being a felon or not. I have a Ruger Security Six but that is too large and cumbersome for a conceal carry.
    If you bring a gun into NY or NJ you're a felon even with a 5 shot revolver. I wouldn't let neighboring states that aren't even reciprocal affect your carry choices here in PA.

(Beaver County)

I carry a older S&W 360. Its was the all steel model J frame before the air weights came out. The added weight helps for practice. I dont notice the added weight because its a bug in an ankle holster.

If i didnt have that I may be looking at a Ruger in 327 for a back up.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    If you bring a gun into NY or NJ you're a felon even with a 5 shot revolver. I wouldn't let neighboring states that aren't even reciprocal affect your carry choices here in PA.
    Yes, this is true unless you are qualified under LEOSA. My understanding is that LEOSA does not exempt from magazine capacities?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Yes, this is true unless you are qualified under LEOSA. My understanding is that LEOSA does not exempt from magazine capacities?
    Yes that's my understanding as well! If you do carry under LEOSA then I can absolutely understand a revolver in NY. NJ still has 15 round mags for the moment.

(Northumberland County)

I like a semi auto for EDC. But never had a snubby revolver. My step son has a 38 special snubby. I'll borrow it some time. And see how it carries. All my revolvers are 6 inch barrels or longer.
    Member of Zerbe Township Rod & Gun Club.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    If I were buying for myself it would most likely be be a Ruger LCR in .357 and I would carry with 38+P. The triggers in those are excellent and the extra weight of the .357 model makes shooting .38 special comfortable as compared to a S&W 642 Airweight but much lighter to carry as compared to a SP101.

If money wasn't an option I really really like the Kimber K6s. Yeah yeah Kimber well the ones I own have been excellent and the K6S is a Hell of a great looking, carrying and shooting revolver.
    ^^^this^^^

Love my LCR. Carries very well and has a really good Trigger for a DAO gun.

(Beaver County)

The new Colt Cobra is nice, six shots.

(Venango County)

I carry an inherited Ruger Security Six in verticals shoulder holster with two speed loaders. Great for medium to long range, not so much for CQB like car or elevator. I have a bug Beretta Tomcat 3032 for that.

Smith has a model snub style with no hammer but has flat piece of metal on back that allows you to cock for single action! It is a great compromise. I don't like to give up SA option in case accurate shot required.

As for pistol "advantages", there are both advantages and disadvantages for each platform (pistol or revolver). What gets me are all the newbies (first time gun owners) that only look at pistols and never consider a revolver. I personally recommend a long gun for your first auto or semi auto. Less likely to shoot yourself in case of ND!
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast