Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Visiting Philadelphia for an extended period

Hi everyone! I just got my conceal permit not too long ago here in VA and my cousin lives in Philadelphia and she wants me to come up and visit for a while. I want to check out some job opportunities. Would I have to apply for a non resident permit if I'm Visiting? In the event I found a job and took it would I immediately have to give up my residency in va and apply for a pa resident permit? My concerns are being in transition and surrendering everything from va and things not working out and having to turn back around. I hope this Makes sense. I'm trying to cover any possible scenarios.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Visiting Philadelphia for an extended period

Quote Originally Posted by Lildevildog View Post
    Hi everyone! I just got my conceal permit not too long ago here in VA and my cousin lives in Philadelphia and she wants me to come up and visit for a while. I want to check out some job opportunities. Would I have to apply for a non resident permit if I'm Visiting? In the event I found a job and took it would I immediately have to give up my residency in va and apply for a pa resident permit? My concerns are being in transition and surrendering everything from va and things not working out and having to turn back around. I hope this Makes sense. I'm trying to cover any possible scenarios.
    1. As a legal resident of VA, your VA permit is as good here for you as my PA LTCF is for me.

2. Per point #1 you don't *need* a PA LTCF. However:
    a. It's $20 for 5 years, same day issue (in the right counties - search the forums here), no fingerprints, and more familiar to PA LEOs. Requires your home state permit, which you have.
    b. PA does not designate resident or non-resident - they are the same. The only difference is your address printed on the front doesn't say "PA" in the Address box
    c. Once you have it - should you become a resident of PA, then you... already have it. See how that works? If you wish, you can notify the issuing sheriff of your change of address, so s/he can send out a renewal reminder, but that's not required.

3. If you look for work/housing, try to stay outside the city limits. Just trust me on this, or spend some time reading around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    1. As a legal resident of VA, your VA permit is as good here for you as my PA LTCF is for me.

2. Per point #1 you don't *need* a PA LTCF. However:
    a. It's $20 for 5 years, same day issue (in the right counties - search the forums here), no fingerprints, and more familiar to PA LEOs. Requires your home state permit, which you have.
    b. PA does not designate resident or non-resident - they are the same. The only difference is your address printed on the front doesn't say "PA" in the Address box
    c. Once you have it - should you become a resident of PA, then you... already have it. See how that works? If you wish, you can notify the issuing sheriff of your change of address, so s/he can send out a renewal reminder, but that's not required.

3. If you look for work/housing, try to stay outside the city limits. Just trust me on this, or spend some time reading around here.
    Thank you so much for the detailed reply I appreciate it. I know she lives in the Bridesburg area and it's probably where I would stay. I have visited before but did not have a ccw permit. So I can go to any county in PA to get this non-resident permit even though I will be staying within Philadelphia city limits? I hope this is not a stupid question but am new to this and want to stay on the right side of the law.

(Delaware County)

Philly is more time consuming than the surrounding counties.
    Our brethren are already in the Field, why stand we here Idle?
    Si vis pacem, Para bellum
    To every man upon this earth, death cometh, soon or late

(Berks County)

Good reports have come from the Berks County Sheriff's office at the Reading airport for a non-resident getting their LTCF.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Good reports have come from the Berks County Sheriff's office at the Reading airport for a non-resident getting their LTCF.
    Full disclosure though... BC women have asses the size of Kenworths.

(Philadelphia County)

Thank you so much for the detailed reply I appreciate it. I know she lives in the Bridesburg area and it's probably where I would stay. I have visited before but did not have a ccw permit. So I can go to any county in PA to get this non-resident permit even though I will be staying within Philadelphia city limits? I hope this is not a stupid question but am new to this and want to stay on the right side of the law.
    I live in Bridesburg. It is generally a very safe neighborhood. No real violent crime, just quality of life type issues and burglary/theft stuff crops up from time to time.

I don't recommend trying to get an LTCF in Philadelphia. Too many issues with Philly. No matter what state law says you'd probably get turned away.

If you decide to get a PA LTCF, look into Bucks or Montco.

Feel free to PM me with questions.

(Philadelphia County)

He would have to apply in the county that he will be residing in as I understand it.Someone previously mentioned that his Virginia license is good in PA.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    He would have to apply in the county that he will be residing in as I understand it.Someone previously mentioned that his Virginia license is good in PA.
    That's correct if he decides to give up his VA DL, gets a PA DL and become a legitimate PA resident. However, if he keeps his VA DL and stays a long term visitor in PA, he can apply for a PA LTCF in any county.

As mentioned, it's a moot point if he maintains VA residency considering his VA gun permit would remain valid in PA as a VA resident.

(Delaware County)

PA law provides that all county sheriffs issue to non-residents. Not how it happens in practice - some don't. The guys I know from Delaware (the state) tend to go to Lancaster County, but that's 2 hours from Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    If he is visiting he is still a VA resident, and therefore has his choice of county - with consideration taken of my prior point that not all issue to non-res.

Quote Originally Posted by PHLJJS View Post
    That's correct if he decides to give up his VA DL, gets a PA DL and become a legitimate PA resident. However, if he keeps his VA DL and stays a long term visitor in PA, he can apply for a PA LTCF in any county.

As mentioned, it's a moot point if he maintains VA residency considering his VA gun permit would remain valid in PA as a VA resident.
    Getting his LTCF keeps his options as wide open as possible. It's physically recognized by PA LEOs, so they don't have as much trouble figuring out if it's valid at the roadside, and if he does decide to move here he's already got it. Win win...

P.S. - to the OP: in PA we have the LTCF, or License To Carry Firearms. Nowhere on it does it say "conceal" or "concealed", so it's not a "CCW". Some people get a bit persnickety about the difference. You have been warned...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast