Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default On the Subject of AK's, What's Good, What's Not so Good?

I don't have one and never really felt the urge to get one but...if I was (were?) to find one, what origins are good, what are bad, and what are prices that would make you say, "I'll take it", even if you weren't really looking for one?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: On the Subject of AK's, What's Good, What's Not so Good?

Many will warn you to stay away from anything by Century Arms.I miss my Egyptian made Maadi that I got from Surplus City years ago.I paid three hundred dollars for it and now I see them going for three times or better for them.It would be hard for me to pay too much more than what I already paid for another one.
    I have also always wanted an underfolder and have seen some nice ones in the six and seven hundred dollar range.
    Last edited by Krichardson; February 9th, 2018 at 11:12 AM.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Elk County)

Stay away from the IO and Century AKs that have cast front trunnions / rear sight blocks. They tend to be soft, wear much to easily, or crack.

Century AKs with the above features to avoid are the RAS47 and C39 / C39V2; there may be more.

Century AKs to consider are the old SAR-1, and the WASR types, as long as the front sights are reasonably plumb, that is, straight up and down and not canted. A giveaway for canted sights is the front sight post offset in the protective ears as opposed to being centered.

Back in the day, the late 90s and early 2000s, the WASR was much maligned for not having the magazine well dimples and having canted sights. However, not all WASRs had canted sights.

The Arsenal brand AKs are generally top notch, as are the Saiga conversions to standard AK mags, if professionally done.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Arsenal.

Mic Drop.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I don't have one and never really felt the urge to get one but...if I was (were?) to find one, what origins are good, what are bad, and what are prices that would make you say, "I'll take it", even if you weren't really looking for one?
    I wouldn't say any country of origin is "bad" except for America. Namely the century built stuff (not to be confused with the century imported stuff). DDI's aren't bad for an entry level American AK though. IO is horrible as well as Pioneer arms.

Most of your foreign stuff is G2G for entry level, just check the rivets to make sure they looks nice, make sure the front and rear sight aren't canted with a square (don't eyeball this), and make sure that action is smooth and you should be good to go.

Right now, around $500 is a good price for an entry level (was, ddi, etc).

The only entry level AK that’s $500.00 right now are the PSA offerings. They have an okay reputation as compared to a in house Century builds. The Gen 1’s were crap the Gen 2’s are said to be much better from buyers.

DDI went out of business two years back and they never had the only $500 stuff they had was the left over Waffen Works crap they acquired in the take over. Mine a Hungarian kit build was $650.00 or $700 on deep discount from $900.00 from a reputable vendor and if I had the option to go back I wouldn’t buy again.
    Their Hungarian kit builds were okay their American made stuff was garbage and why they went tits up.

Right now your best option is a WASR 10 they are running new for $600.00 from several sources right now one being Classic Arms another Atlantic. Other then my Chinese AK’s these were my favorite AK’s and I regret selling them big time.

Arsenal is good probably the best of the imports in most people’s eyes right now, and JRA James River Armory has a good kit build. The NPAP is a good Yugo rifle you should be able to find on the secondary market for $550-600.00.

Stay very far away from any of the new Polish important offerings they are complete casted trash on par with IO.
    Last edited by Hodgie; February 9th, 2018 at 12:24 PM.

(Berks County)

I rarely associate anything Chi Knees with quality but it sounds like their AK's would be well made, is that right? Is that for all of them, or just certain models/years?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

I rarely associate anything Chi Knees with quality but it sounds like their AK's would be well made, is that right? Is that for all of them, or just certain models/years?
    Probably the best on the American AK market at one time. An Entry level MAK90 will run you $800-$1200 now depending on configuration one of the pre ban options will run you 3-4xs that and sometimes more.

Pegging this thread because I'm right there with you...just never got around to picking one up.
    The most Commie things I have right now are a SKS and PPS.

I am a little taken back by some of the prices being tossed around here.
    Guess I haven't been paying attention for a while.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    Pegging this thread because I'm right there with you...just never got around to picking one up.
    The most Commie things I have right now are a SKS and PPS.

I am a little taken back by some of the prices being tossed around here.
    Guess I haven't been paying attention for a while.
    Yeah, AKs used to be the poor man's rifle, while AR15's were priced out of reach of the common man.
    Times have changed and things are now flipped around the other way.

The only rifle I truly regret selling is my WASR AK and the current prices are what keeps me from considering buying another one now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast