Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 23 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: PA state trooper disassenbled my gun during traffic stop

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Ohhh-kay, so I haven't visited this thread in a bit.

Sgt. K, yes, I have a VERY big goddamned problem with that. In fact, I was once stopped in Bethlehem by an officer who made mention of having been notified when he ran my DL and plate that I had a LTCF. I was NOT happy.

Also, for the record, I have never once in my adult life been asked if I had any weapons in the vehicle at any traffic stop. Once when I was a teenager, but never since.

My answer would likely be anywhere between, "With all due respect, I don't answer questions" and "that's none of your [insert colorful language here]-ing business." Depends on how respectful he is at the outset, lol.

When asked where I'm heading, I've been able to use "that way," and I did get a chance to use "I don't answer questions" another time I was asked where I worked. Neither ended in tickets.
    Realizing people sometimes make honest mistakes, I learned to ask “is there any reason you turned right on red, with the No Right On Red Sign posted?” or “any reason why you rolled thru that stop sign without stoppping?” or “any reason why your inspection sticker expired three days ago?” Would your response still be “I don’t answer questions.”

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason O View Post
    If the officer has sufficient disdain for me to take and dissemble my firearm, I wouldn't expect him to be particularly respectful with it, and possibly worse.

Here's a photo of my H-K USP. Look how fragile the tabs are that fit into the slide. Force it together wrong, and you have a useless HK paperweight. Would you want an officer that has never seen one before, and doesn't like you tearing it apart?

I don't know him either. Therefore, since I also want to go home safely, maybe the officer should hand his weapon over to me during the traffic stop.

SW Shields are cheaper than ever. Maybe it's prudent to keep an extra one in your vehicle so you have "something" to hand over to LEO without being completely disarmed.
    Hk usp is known for it's fragile rails. How they ever got away with crappy design I'll never understand. I mean just look at that cheese.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Realizing people sometimes make honest mistakes, I learned to ask “is there any reason you turned right on red, with the No Right On Red Sign posted?” or “any reason why you rolled thru that stop sign without stoppping?” or “any reason why your inspection sticker expired three days ago?” Would your response still be “I don’t answer questions.”
    Ever had a motorist say, "Officer, give me a sec, I need to finish this text"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    I don't answer questions about things that have nothing to do with why I am being stopped. The cop's interaction with me is a business transaction - if the question does not relate to the matter at hand, it is irrelevant. Therefore, let me give you an example of one that happened in real life, only last month or so, with a PA State Trooper.

"Sir, do you know why I stopped you?" (Assuming you're not the kind of cop who dawdles about getting to the point of things, and I don't have to ask you why you stopped me...that's a bad foot to start off on for you)
    "I'm not exactly sure." My go to. I don't admit to anything - it's YOUR job to accuse me, not my job to submit to you.
    "I was behind you back on 22 and watched you go over the fog line twice. Have you had anything to drink tonight?" Not an unreasonable question, considering the stated reason for the stop.
    "Not a drop - just a long night of work."
    "Where do you work?"
    "I don't answer those questions, with all due respect."
    "Okay, show me your papers." Obviously that isn't what he said but you get the reference..

He comes back to my car after a few minutes and hands me my paperwork.
    "So you're just out driving, you don't answer questions, and you haven't had anything to drink?"
    "That is correct, sir." At this point, he'd earned his "sir" - he had been entirely respectable and upstanding thus far and I was very happy with his professionalism.
    "Okay, I'm not going to issue you a citation, this is a warning that requires no response, etc etc."
    "Have a good night."
    Junior

(Venango County)

IANAL

I don't like answering questions, even if it is about what the reason for the stop was. I hate "Do you know why I stopped you?" If you answer this truthfully in most cases you are admitting guilt or recklessness.

There is a reason Miranda warnings state "Anything you say can and will be used against you." Remember that you are your own worst enemy and the state does not deserve or have a right to any help. Make sure they work for it even if you know you are guilty as sin. It is their job or reason for being. They can't just arrest people and convict without due process and evidence. That is how the game is played and that is what I have taught my children in how to deal with the state or any person of authority or power. You don't owe anything to the state.

We use the first and second amendments daily. I, on at least one occasion, had to rely on the fifth (right not to incriminate myself, right to have an attorney present). Fortunately, the people abusing their positions in that case had their asses handed to them. I never saw them on base again, so I guess they were at least transferred off base or even careers may have ended.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Perry County)

"Do you know why I stopped you" is a two edged sword but one side is sharper than the other.

I know why I stopped you and "knowingly" isn't the level of culpability necessary for the violation for which I stopped you. I would use it to gauge the level of awareness, remorse, mitigating factors and the like.

I'd be more likely to give a warning if someone said "I just bought this car and I was stretching its legs" than "I have no idea" when blasting down the road at 90mph. But, as some of you pointed out, another officer would use that first statement to show you were knowingly speeding. Not necessary for conviction but may sway a DJ that likes to let people go to keep the voters happy.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    "Do you know why I stopped you" is a two edged sword but one side is sharper than the other.

I know why I stopped you and "knowingly" isn't the level of culpability necessary for the violation for which I stopped you. I would use it to gauge the level of awareness, remorse, mitigating factors and the like.

I'd be more likely to give a warning if someone said "I just bought this car and I was stretching its legs" than "I have no idea" when blasting down the road at 90mph. But, as some of you pointed out, another officer would use that first statement to show you were knowingly speeding. Not necessary for conviction but may sway a DJ that likes to let people go to keep the voters happy.
    That actually worked for me in the 80s. I was driving through Jersey when I was lit up with radar as the cop was driving towards me. I had just picked up a new company car that morning and I told him this. He cut me a break on the speed but got me on a seat belt. That ticket still remains unpaid.
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post

In my personal experience I have found that it is overwhelmingly beneficial for me to confess to speeding when the question is asked. "Well...I was getting along pretty good", is my preferred response.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

How about, "I was enjoying the capabilities of this marvelous aggregate of engineering, while simultaneously suppressing the urge to test its limits". ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Ever had a motorist say, "Officer, give me a sec, I need to finish this text"?
    I've seen similar on COPS and LIVE PD.

Police light up and pull car over , asks for license/registration/insuance , driver talking or texting holds up a finger to say "wait a minute''.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 23 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast