Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 46 of 56 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647484950 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: PA state trooper disassenbled my gun during traffic stop

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Ahh....but anyone *could be* a felon....that's just good police work. But assuming any cop *could be* a JBT and acting accordingly....that's parnoia and being "uncooperative".
    It all comes down in how you treat someone. I know people who can tell you to go to hell, and you would enjoy the trip.

Some folks have an agenda (both police and civilian) and are going to have a chip on their shoulder either way.

There are probably many more instances where there is no adverse issues during police/civilian interactions, but they are not as much fun to talk about.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    And my refusal to answer, or inaccuracy in answering, is nothing personal, it's just me exercising my rights. Be careful in your actions because my refusal does not indicate criminal activity.
    I’ll keep that in mind. Along with the totality of the circumstances. And act accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    It all comes down in how you treat someone. I know people who can tell you to go to hell, and you would enjoy the trip.

Some folks have an agenda (both police and civilian) and are going to have a chip on their shoulder either way.

There are probably many more instances where there is no adverse issues during police/civilian interactions, but they are not as much fun to talk about.
    I could argue either side in this, I've had very good encounters with some excellent cops, and had very bad encounters with some JBT's, like the State Trooper who told me that the pre-existing .22" diameter holes in sheet metal were caused by the 9mm rounds that my client was firing at targets on the other side of 500 yards of dense woods.

However, asking folks to focus on that majority of cop-citizen interactions where nothing went sideways, is a little like asking the jury to focus on the millions of people that OJ did NOT stab and decapitate.

Most cops act like adults who are responsible for what they do. What worries some of us is what happens when other cops do bad things; does their union cover for them, do their fellow officers cover for them, does their department cover for them?
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I could argue either side in this, I've had very good encounters with some excellent cops, and had very bad encounters with some JBT's, like the State Trooper who told me that the pre-existing .22" diameter holes in sheet metal were caused by the 9mm rounds that my client was firing at targets on the other side of 500 yards of dense woods.

However, asking folks to focus on that majority of cop-citizen interactions where nothing went sideways, is a little like asking the jury to focus on the millions of people that OJ did NOT stab and decapitate.

Most cops act like adults who are responsible for what they do. What worries some of us is what happens when other cops do bad things; does their union cover for them, do their fellow officers cover for them, does their department cover for them?
    It’s probably the same ratio as doctors, lawyers, pilots, teachers who’s union cover for them.

My philosophy is, that if you make a mistake of the heart, while trying to do the right thing, I will support you.

If you make a mistake of the mind, trying to get over, then you are on your own.

It’s probably the same ratio as doctors, lawyers, pilots, teachers who’s union cover for them.

My philosophy is, that if you make a mistake of the heart, while trying to do the right thing, I will support you.

If you make a mistake of the mind, trying to get over, then you are on your own.
    Of course, the difference being, that none of the jobs that you’ve listed come with government ordained power to deprive somebody of life and liberty. Doctors, lawyers, pilots, and teachers can’t stop me, handcuff me, arrest me, throw me in jail, and then charge me with any assortment of crimes that can effectively ruin my life. A doctor and a pilot might cause the loss of my life, but it would be an accident and not part of their job description. A police officer, however, can kill you on purpose, and if it was a mistake possibly(or likely) face little repercussions. Because of the power invested in them by the government, they must be held to a far higher standard of how they conduct themselves in the course of their work then pretty much any other profession that I can think of off the top of my head.
    “A Republic, if you can keep it.” - Benjamin Franklin

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by staylo View Post
    Of course, the difference being, that none of the jobs that you’ve listed come with government ordained power to deprive somebody of life and liberty. Doctors, lawyers, pilots, and teachers can’t stop me, handcuff me, arrest me, throw me in jail, and then charge me with any assortment of crimes that can effectively ruin my life. A doctor and a pilot might cause the loss of my life, but it would be an accident and not part of their job description. A police officer, however, can kill you on purpose, and if it was a mistake possibly(or likely) face little repercussions. Because of the power invested in them by the government, they must be held to a far higher standard of how they conduct themselves in the course of their work then pretty much any other profession that I can think of off the top of my head.
    Politicians?

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Lieutenant View Post
    Yes.. if you were charged criminally with something then it would be subject to suppression. If you are not charged criminally however, you are basically talking about questioning during detention that isnt going to be used against you.. that's a tough one.
    We HAVE to assume that ALL questioning will be used against us. Not answering questions is literally our only defense.

Every traffic stop should be assumed to be adversarial until the cop comes up to the window and says, "I just wanna give you some leftover donuts."
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Allegheny County)

I bet the Dr’s, teachers and pilots unions would abandon them if they shot an unarmed person in the back while on the job.

Wow, this thread has been going on for a while.

Here in Pennsylvania, I wouldn't say a word about my guns.

I was stopped in the must inform state of Ohio. I gave the cop my carry licence and told him that I had. He said something like, "Don't pull it out and wave it around." I got a verbal warning and went on my way.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Kipwell View Post
    Wow, this thread has been going on for a while.

Here in Pennsylvania, I wouldn't say a word about my guns.

I was stopped in the must inform state of Ohio. I gave the cop my carry licence and told him that I had. He said something like, "Don't pull it out and wave it around." I got a verbal warning and went on my way.
    I'm guessing it wasn't THIS cop:

Page 46 of 56 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647484950 ... LastLast