Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 56 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default Re: PA state trooper disassenbled my gun during traffic stop

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    What right did he have to verify ownership? Did he verify that the money in your pocket was yours, or your cell phone as well?
    I was delivering a pizza. And a german shepherd was attacking my truck. I told them pull the dog off before i shoot it. When i got back to the pizza shop the police were waiting for me. No charges just the hassle of it all, This was in 1989
    Member of Zerbe Township Rod & Gun Club.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    If the OP chooses to file a complaint...if I was going to do it I'd do it in writing and to two or more layers of the bureaucracy.

Before filing the complaint, I'd be filing RTK requests for:
    1) Audio / video of the traffic stop.
    2) Policies regarding traffic stops and firearms.
    3) Any reports made by the troopers regarding the traffic stop.

Always have the incorrectly documented reports before filing the complaint.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by gooseSA40 View Post
    Before filing the complaint, I'd be filing RTK requests for:
    1) Audio / video of the traffic stop.
    2) Policies regarding traffic stops and firearms.
    3) Any reports made by the troopers regarding the traffic stop.

Always have the incorrectly documented reports before filing the complaint.
    4) If they looked up the "ownership" in the RoSdb contrary to PSP guidelines in the use of the database.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    Maybe you should carry your wallet on the right? And not say a word about your weapon?
    First page, and this guy nailed it. OP, maybe learn from this experience and avoid putting yourself in the situation next time.

(Crawford County)

I’m guessing this is a stop that occurred after 11pm, and they were looking for a DUI. Did they give you a “written” warning? If so, when you return the card to be signed upon correction of the bad taillight.....it’s a perfect time to make the complaint.

So many things could go wrong. First of all....once they are in possession of that firearm they are required to do a background check and PICS to make sure you even legally possess it. If they give it back to you and you go home and shoot your girlfriend or rob a Sheetz on the way and kill the clerk......oh boy! These guys are stone heads and need to be set straight before they cost the Commonwealth a ton of money. I question their training and experience also.

To say nothing of your exposure. What if the Trooper that you willingly gave your firearm to shoots his partner accidentally or “negligently” ? Guess who his wife or the injured partner is going to sue! When asked it’s time to say, “ if you feel legally justified to take it then do what you do I won’t resist but I’m not voluntarily handing it to you. I’m responsible for this but as soon as you take it, you are responsible for whatever happens while it’s in your possession.”

They can fine you for the taillight but it gets withdrawn if you get it fixed within the time restraints.
    Last edited by Williamsmith; February 7th, 2018 at 04:50 PM.

(Bucks County)

Story is missing a component. What did they do with the cartridges and how were they returned. Kind of odd no mention of that.

I suggest composing a polite description of the transaction, also asking if this described kind of policing is condoned by the department and requesting a citing of the regulation(s) covering it.

If you receive a PR response (or no response) that is an obvious dead end indicating the practice will continue, consider sending copies [CC: ] to the AG, the governor, the lieutenant governor, your state reps of both persuasions, the NRA, the SAF, FOAC, and the editor of the local newspaper.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by CoalcrackerAl View Post
    I had a cop check run my gun to verify owner ship. Only disassembly he did was pull the mag and empty the chamber with the slide locked open. And said this is how you hand some one your gun. It was a douglas/montgomery cop.
    Looks like you got the wrong Douglass Township cop. When I got pulled over by them about a year ago he asked if I had any weapons and I truthfully answered. He said just keep your hands visible and that was it. Also he mentioned he supports people carrying and it might save his butt one day. I thanked him for supporting the second amendment and I was on my way (deserved ticket in hand... doh!)

(Northumberland County)

I don't remember who it was. He was older then me. He is probably retired now. The only cop i know is Fred Ziegler. Last I heard he's chief now. His brother Scott told me.
    Member of Zerbe Township Rod & Gun Club.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    No no not physically, just moulthy to cops. Sometimes it doesn't go well. I they end up shooting you and you die you are dead. They probibly get off. You did go right to nightstick ass sex in your simple reply and I thought that was not an equal metafore for the question actully asked. Can I hold your gun vs can I rape you with a big wooden beater stick? I can say though, you really do love your gun if those are equal.
    Once you allow them to hold your gun, who is going to stop them from sexing you up with the nightstick? See? If you don't let them screw you a little, they never get to gangrape you !

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I’m guessing this is a stop that occurred after 11pm, and they were looking for a DUI. Did they give you a “written” warning? If so, when you return the card to be signed upon correction of the bad taillight.....it’s a perfect time to make the complaint.

So many things could go wrong. First of all....once they are in possession of that firearm they are required to do a background check and PICS to make sure you even legally possess it. If they give it back to you and you go home and shoot your girlfriend or rob a Sheetz on the way and kill the clerk......oh boy! These guys are stone heads and need to be set straight before they cost the Commonwealth a ton of money. I question their training and experience also.

To say nothing of your exposure. What if the Trooper that you willingly gave your firearm to shoots his partner accidentally or “negligently” ? Guess who his wife or the injured partner is going to sue! When asked it’s time to say, “ if you feel legally justified to take it then do what you do I won’t resist but I’m not voluntarily handing it to you. I’m responsible for this but as soon as you take it, you are responsible for whatever happens while it’s in your possession.”

They can fine you for the taillight but it gets withdrawn if you get it fixed within the time restraints.
    Exactly! What would have happened if dipshit 1 accidentally shot dipshit 2 while working on your gun? I'll tell you. After dipshit 1 gets through removing you from the pool of witnesses FOREVER, he will claim he never touched your gun. You jumped out and killed dipshit 2, and he defended himself against your most heinous attack!
    Naw, that would never happen because cops never lie. Right?

Page 8 of 56 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast