Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Here is a doozie- Non- resident, property owner, keeping firearms and getting a CCW

Hi,

I have a bit of a brain cramp here......

I am an NJ resident and cannot change residence to PA (work for NJ state and have to maintain NJ residence status and driver's lic)

I own a second home in PA

Is it legal for me to store long guns and handguns in my residence in PA and take them out to a range in PA to use? So far all the places I looked- including an attorney, the answer I have gotten is yes- it is legal.

I do NOT have a CCW from my home state- NJ

I DO have a few non-resident CCW licenses (UT, FL, VA, NV, AZ but not NH)

I am an NRA Rifle/Pistol Instructor and RSO

Is it possible for me to get a PA CCW? If so, what is the best way of going about it?

Thank you,

Grizz

(Erie County)

Default Re: Here is a doozie- Non- resident, property owner, keeping firearms and getting a C

Go to the Sherriff's office in the county that your Pa home is in an make an application?
    We the people love our country so let the government fear us.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Here is a doozie- Non- resident, property owner, keeping firearms and getting a C

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly45mag View Post
    Hi,

I have a bit of a brain cramp here......

I am an NJ resident and cannot change residence to PA (work for NJ state and have to maintain NJ residence status and driver's lic)

I own a second home in PA

Is it legal for me to store long guns and handguns in my residence in PA and take them out to a range in PA to use? So far all the places I looked- including an attorney, the answer I have gotten is yes- it is legal.

I do NOT have a CCW from my home state- NJ

I DO have a few non-resident CCW licenses (UT, FL, VA, NV, AZ but not NH)

I am an NRA Rifle/Pistol Instructor and RSO

Is it possible for me to get a PA CCW? If so, what is the best way of going about it?

Thank you,

Grizz
    I don't quite follow this.
    If you consulted a gun lawyer why do you still have questions?
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Schuylkill County)

The only issue I see is getting the guns you buy in NJ across the border legally.
    There seems to be no provision for transporting guns to a vacation home. The only exceptions I know of are hunting, going to a range, a gunsmith or to sell them.
    So I guess you could leave your NJ home with the guns property configured for transport, go to a range in PA without stopping anywhere, decide you don't really need to shoot them at that moment, then go to your second home without stopping.

Laws concerning transport of firearms without a license are very similar between NJ and PA.
    Storing them in PA does not require an LTCF, nor does shooting them at a range, only concealing them on your person or in a vehicle. Same as NJ

I am not a lawyer.

(Lancaster County)

I doubt any PA place is gonna give you a PA LTCF without you having a NJ carry permit.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

Would PA Title 18 § 6106 not cover transport to and from the vacation home?

It states: "(8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or....."

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/LI/consCheck.cfm?
    txtType=HTM&ttl=18&div=0&chpt=61&sctn=6&subsctn=0

Quote Originally Posted by Fayette Patriot View Post

It states: "(8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or....."

The OP really doesn't have to worry about PA law while transporting to his second home, as long as federal rules of transport are followed. He has to worry about traveling through PRNJ since there isn't a provision for going to a second residence in another state

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fayette Patriot View Post

Thank you. This was very helpful.
    -Grizz

(Montgomery County)

Thank you all!

(Berks County)

Yes, and I've helped numerous people obtain their dual resident LTCF
    Joshua Prince, Esq. - Firearms Industry Consulting Group - www.PaFirearmsLawyer.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast