Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 56 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: PA state trooper disassenbled my gun during traffic stop

Back in 2001, I got traffic stopped by a State Trooper for an expired inspection sticker. It happens.

(Crawford County)

The OP has done enough. He registered his complaint to an immediate supervisor. Had the officers not disassembled the firearm and returned it in pieces.....I wouldn’t have considered it extremely unusual. Police officers do from time to time temporarily remove firearms from motorists immediate access at traffic stops. Once they detain you, they have a duty to keep the situation safe. I don’t agree with it but there are times I could think of where it might be prudent and the inconvenience to the motorist is minimal.

It’s obvious to me, this case isn’t a simple minor traffic infraction. It’s an invesgestory stop initiated as a traffic infraction. Was there another reason they disassembled the firearm other than for their own safety?

Which brings up some questions. Do you have an obligation or duty to inform the Trooper that you are conceal carrying a firearm? Unless I’m ignorant of the law on this.....the answer is no unless they ask you specifically. In Pennsylvania. In Ohio....you have to almost immediately.

The second is, do you have to answer any investigatory questions, like where are you going? Or where have you been? And again, the answer is no. However that probably makes things worse almost always.

Basically I think the tactic of temporarily confiscating a firearm along the side of the road from a legally carrying motorist who has given you no reason to believe he is a threat....is poor judgement. If he wanted to shoot you, he wouldn’t tell you he has a firearm. Confiscating the firearm you know exists does nothing about the one under his seat or in his glovebox. Handling an unfamiliar firearm invites calamity. What if the motorist claims you screwed up his gun while disassembling it? What if you have an accidental discharge while unloading it? What if the motorist has an accidental discharge while removing it from say...his shoulder holster? What if as a motorist the one officer tells you to hand him your Glock and the other covering officer doesn’t hear that? So he sees a gun and shoots you dead! That’s why I would be careful about touching my gun under any circumstances.

Why not leave it where it is and have the motorist keep his hands on the steering wheel? And in this instance...we have two officers. How’s the motorist going to get the advantage?

If I were the supervisor I would advise them not to make it a habit of disassembling other peoples guns along the roadway.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    The OP has done enough. He registered his complaint to an immediate supervisor.
    I disagree with that, if the complaint is not in written form it's worthless, even then it needs to be sent to several layers of bureaucracy to insure that it gets notoriety.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I disagree with that, if the complaint is not in written form it's worthless, even then it needs to be sent to several layers of bureaucracy to insure that it gets notoriety.
    I agree, and since the officer he spoke with said that the PSP would take responsibility for broken/missing parts, I think I'd like to see that admission in writing.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Crawford County)

That’s a legitimate point. I would say you might get somewhere with the disassembly but not the temporary seizure. But is it better to just learn some lessons from the incident and not draw further attention to yourself?

(Chester County)

What was the point of disassembly? Why not just unload the damn thing?

(Northumberland County)

It comes down to. Don't ask don't tell. My wife has a habit of telling folks more than they need to know.
    Member of Zerbe Township Rod & Gun Club.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by CoalcrackerAl View Post
    It comes down to. Don't ask don't tell. My wife has a habit of telling folks more than they need to know.
    That makes two of us, if you come across a remedy please do share it.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Northumberland County)

That makes two of us, if you come across a remedy please do share it.
    I sure will lol.
    Member of Zerbe Township Rod & Gun Club.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    What was the point of disassembly? Why not just unload the damn thing?
    Exactly,as someone already said the gun could have been unloaded and secured in the trunk if any action was really necessary.It just smacks of bullying, "I do it just because I can"kind of shit.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

Page 11 of 56 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast