Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: New M&P 380 Shield

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    But why a pistol of that size in 380? You can get he exact same size in 9mm.
    It will be a very smooth low recoiling pistol as compared to a 9mm especially with defensive ammo.

(Lackawanna County)

Another option for S&W is marketing these outside the US. Some places don't allow 9mm for security companies to use. Thus Taurus 380's are popular. This little S&W might be just the ticket for some outside the US market.

Actually, some blowback .380's recoil with more "snap" than 9mm pistols. The delay of locking/unlocking in 9mm (with the proper recoil springs) makes for in some pistols, mild recoil. A 380, with almost +P ammo can recoil as much, or more than a 9mm due to the simple blowback operation. An "easy to rack the slide" 380 might be easy to load, but maybe not so nice on recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacgunner View Post
    Another option for S&W is marketing these outside the US. Some places don't allow 9mm for security companies to use. Thus Taurus 380's are popular. This little S&W might be just the ticket for some outside the US market.

Actually, some blowback .380's recoil with more "snap" than 9mm pistols. The delay of locking/unlocking in 9mm (with the proper recoil springs) makes for in some pistols, mild recoil. A 380, with almost +P ammo can recoil as much, or more than a 9mm due to the simple blowback operation. An "easy to rack the slide" 380 might be easy to load, but maybe not so nice on recoil.
    If it's anything like the LC380 or Glock 42 it should be pretty smooth unlike the older blow back designs.

(Montgomery County)

The grip safety on this pistol is the drop safety. That's why it's there.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
    I thought the target market were people with weak hands, elderly, women, etc. who had problems racking the slide. Not for me but serving a portion of the market that will appreciate it
    Unless it is locked breech, and it may be, the force to rack the slide will be high if it is a straight blow back.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    Unless it is locked breech, and it may be, the force to rack the slide will be high if it is a straight blow back.
    Well it is, so it isn't.

When my left wrist was sore, the grip safety was hard to work.

They recalled all the thumb safety ones. They are available both ways.

It's a nice gun .
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Northampton County)

I picked up the grip safety only model for my shop ,we have been beating the crap ,shoots great never failed, not a perfect pistol ,but it is very easy to use and shoot, it's a basic defensive handgun that will work nice for people with hand strength issues. Sights are the draw back ,very cheap design. Like I said shooting wise functions perfect,very low recoil.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12