Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default TX hog hunting- any referrals?

Would like to plan a TX hog hunt. Spent yesterday at Outdoor show, almost nothing from TX.

Any one have a referral to pass along?

Internet search yields a ton but that's a real crap shoot IMO.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: TX hog hunting- any referrals?

Following . . .

(Blair County)

they just legalized hot air b hunting

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    they just legalized hot air b hunting
    Not Fast enough, get into a helicopter . . .

It's funny that many people have the impression that because there are hogs all over TX farmers and land owners would want them freely hunted. In reality it's quite the opposite and is very difficult to obtain permissions to hunt private land without paying big $$.

When it comes to some things like guns and hunting Texas is more myth then truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    It's funny that many people have the impression that because there are hogs all over TX farmers and land owners would want them freely hunted. In reality it's quite the opposite and is very difficult to obtain permissions to hunt private land without paying big $$.

When it comes to some things like guns and hunting Texas is more myth then truth.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by that guns and hunting in Texas are more of a myth than truth. We're definitely not all hat and no cattle. There are hogs all over Texas, and there are still some farmers and land owners that will let you hunt them freely. Part of the problem is that they became big business and now people want to get a piece of that money. The other thing is that unlike in a lot of places in the US, in Texas, most farmers have a lot of acreage that they farm (thousands). So, they don't just contract someone to harvest their crop, they have all their own equipment and they don't want some idiot that they don't really know shooting their tractors, cotton strippers or pickers, combines, center pivot irrigation sprinklers, etc. It's all very expensive. So someone gets into the hogs at night, gets all excited, and pretty soon they're shooting tractors that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, just because someone wanted to sling some lead at some running pigs and didn't check their field of fire. That is why lots of Texas farmers and ranchers don't want someone they don't know hunting on their land.

Quote Originally Posted by msorwan1975 View Post
    Would like to plan a TX hog hunt. Spent yesterday at Outdoor show, almost nothing from TX.

Any one have a referral to pass along?

Internet search yields a ton but that's a real crap shoot IMO.
    Shoot me a PM, and I'll get you some info for a buddy that has tons of hogs on his land, and he's very reasonable. If you're interested, he will also provide you with an AR-10 with thermal on it that is already zero'ed, etc. Just let me know and I'll put you in touch with him.

My point is people think that Texas has the most relaxed gun laws in the country and you can pretty much just pull over and hunt anywhere, neither of which are true. Regarding the hunting being there is very little public lands left it's a pay to play as you mentioned, and I do not fault farmers for not wanting people they do not know or have not contracted on their land.

I wasn't attacking Texas I was more busting the myths that many outsiders think is Texas. There are places that you can do these things much easier and cheaper you just have to head south from PA.

(Dauphin County)

There are places that you can do these things much easier and cheaper you just have to head south from PA.
    Already did SC for piggies, just want to visit another part of the country this time! and outside of the travel hunt costs are pretty much the same, often cheaper by the day.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"

Quote Originally Posted by msorwan1975 View Post
    Already did SC for piggies, just want to visit another part of the country this time! and outside of the travel hunt costs are pretty much the same, often cheaper by the day.
    Where did you go in SC?

My point is people think that Texas has the most relaxed gun laws in the country and you can pretty much just pull over and hunt anywhere, neither of which are true. Regarding the hunting being there is very little public lands left it's a pay to play as you mentioned, and I do not fault farmers for not wanting people they do not know or have not contracted on their land.

I wasn't attacking Texas I was more busting the myths that many outsiders think is Texas. There are places that you can do these things much easier and cheaper you just have to head south from PA.
    Oh, you're very very right about the gun laws and just pulling over to hunt. That's a good way to get a firearm pulled on you out here because people are so serious about their land rights. Sadly, because we were some of the first to enact concealed carry, the liberals got a hold of them and it's not what any of us more conservative country folk like. We did finally get it it rolled back a little and finally did pass open carry, although it's not very common to see right now. Long guns are much more conservative and you can get away with a lot more that is still considered by law as "illegal". There is almost no public land to hunt in Texas, and if you put in for a public hunt, it's all drawn and you'd be one of the lucky few. What's funny is if you see a place that you want to hunt, and go to the owner's place and ask very politely with a little beer, some steaks, or good whiskey, they just may let you hunt or offer to take you out if they have a little time. You are exactly right though about land and our gun laws. I have no doubt that there are cheaper places to do some hunting without traveling so far and that added expense. Sometimes folks just like our Texas ways and to get to experience our "culture", lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast