Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default New York Woes...

So I bought a cabin in NY last year. I really love the place. Now, I knew that NY had guns laws that were a lot more strict than PA, but I just didn't realize how much more.

I hate not having some protection when I go up there, so I will use this as an excuse to buy a couple new guns! I kinda had my heart set on a Mossberg Shockwave. I figured that, due to it's smaller size, it would be about the closest thing to having a pistol both for home protection, as well as a backpacker while outside in the woods doing work.

I started doing some snooping around on the internet, and while there's just as many arguments about the Shockwave in NY as there is in PA, it appears to be legal, for now. Even with the grey area about the legalities of it, I'm fine with it, as it would just be on my property and if laws changed I could always have fun with it here in PA where I live. The part that has me confused, is with it being classified as a firearm, instead of shotgun or long gun, I'm not sure if I can posses it. I've read that it can be bought without a permit in NY, but since I'm out of state, I'm not sure if that changes. This place is in Steuben county.

If by the shockwave being classified as a firearm means that I can't posses one in NY, that's fine, but that brings me to my next question: What in the heck should I get as a good home defense/ woods defense gun? I believe there's a seven round capacity limit in NY. AR's are out. I thought about maybe a nice lever action 44 or whatever, so that I could at some point also pick up a revolver here in PA and have something that shares ammo. But if I can't posses a handgun in NY, does 44/357/ etc. ammo become illegal to posses as well?

I planned to get a CCW permit for NY. Here in PA it takes me longer to drive to the courthouse than it does to actually get my CCW, but in NY I've heard that it takes between 4-8 months. But after reading through some laws, it said something along the lines of, "your permanent residence has to be in NY", and if that's true then I'm screwed, since I only go to the cabin once in a while.

So to sum it up, I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on the Shockwave issue, but as well I'd like to hear your thoughts on another decent NY-legal protection gun. This gun would never be used for hunting, just home and woods protection. Thanks!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: New York Woes...

LOL you should of just gotten a cabin around Potter county.

Shockwave and Tac-14 are an answer for a question no one asked.
    But for $420 I'll sell you one.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Wayne County)

Op you forgot to read the FINE print.

Lever action in 30-30 and a 12 gauge pump.

Shockwave and Tac-14 are fun guns but I wouldn't rely on one for self defense. Hitting a target with a 14" shotgun isn't easy under stress. They aren't the easiest firearm to aim, aren't built for easy carry when working, etc. If it were me I'd get a used Winchester Ranger 30-30 and a Remington 870 / Mossberg 500. Any of these can be found used for $200. If you have to leave them in the cabin and they get stolen you aren't out a large investment.

I wouldn't even go with a riot gun barrel on the 12 gauge. Get a standard 24 or 26 inch. NY has some crazy views on firearms. I wouldn't want the local prosecutor coming after in a self defense shooting just because I opted for a Mossberg 590. NY is a state where it may be in your best interest to look like the average hunter as opposed to another PA "gun nut".

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Op you forgot to read the FINE print.
    Ain't nuthin' "fine" about PRNY...

When retired in N Y we bought a home in Florida modest and a home in Pa.23 years ago this April.NY is not strict with Gun control,They are OPPRESSIVE to 2A rights.

(Montgomery County)

Well I won't kick a man while he's down about already owning property in an occupied state.

I have no idea of the legality of any of this, but here are some ideas you could check out on the NYS firearm boards with people who probably know more than us.

1) Applying for a non-resident pistol permit (maybe not even a carry permit? just to possess one at your property? not sure if they have different permit types up there).
    2) This would lead to a nice 357/44 mag revolver with carbine combo as you mentioned.
    3) Forget the shockwave and its grey area. Just go for a $200 mossberg maverick 88 and be done with it.

(Lycoming County)

I should NOT have gotten a cabin around Potter county, and fine print has nothing to do with why I bought the cabin.

I was aware of NY having strict gun laws, but this cabin is centrally located around the things we want to do at a vacation home. It's too far from Potter or Tioga county for us to do the things we want to. I'm within 10 minutes of everything I want to do at this place. The gun laws weren't a factor in purchasing this place, and it still isn't. I was just looking for some advice and what kid of other guns might be a good choice, as all of my guns are either pistols or EBR's.

Thanks for the other replies. I did kind of check into non-resident permit, and while I still have to look around some more, it doesn't appear that they have such a thing.

I'm not overly concerned about the accuracy with a shockwave. I think it would matter a lot more in the woods, but inside of my tiny cabin, while follow up shots would be more difficult, I believe it would be plenty accurate in an emergency. I should have also mentioned, I'm definitely not opposed to buying 2 more guns instead of one! I might look into a 30-30, but like I said, I'd like to find out more about handgun ammo. Because if I can legally have 357/44 ammo, I've always wanted one so that would be preferred.

(Lehigh County)

sell the your NY cabin that doesn't let you enjoy your Freedom's while there's people in charge like FUAC NYS will be a prison for Freedom!

(Lehigh County)

And by the way you would only be defending yourself from wild animals in cabin maybe without having to hire an attorney! When it comes to home invasion or scumbags in the middle of the night NYS frowns on causing harm to them ! Their only option they recommend is 911 Good luck with that

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast