Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Building a Lee-Enfield

Well, I recently came across a site with a parts kit for the Lee-Enfield No.4 Mk.1. I'm curious if anybody here has built one of these before. I honestly have no idea how difficult it would be to put one of these together and headspace it. It looks complete bar the receiver, which marks it as a remarkably good value. So, what tools and such should I need? The only other thing left to find is a lead on a receiver. Thanks in advance for the help. Here's the link: https://everygunpart.com/long-guns-k...ion-black.html

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Building a Lee-Enfield

The .303 British cartridge is rimmed. Headspacing is the rim contact with chamber and gap between the head and the bolt face. The front of the bolt threads into the bolt body, and there were three front ends available, marked 0, 1 and 2 thus providing headspace adjustment. Headspace is easily determined with a thickness gauge. The side of a Coca-Cola can is .004" and is easy to cut. I set mine up to be a tight closing on a cartridge with no thickness gauge involved. I had to grind the locking lugs on an oversized front piece to achieve that.

I see there is no magazine with the "kit" which may prove costly. The .303 is not 30 caliber (308) and uses .310-.312 bullets.

I have two, since 1960s...one sporterized, one cut down for the wife. Never did a .303 build, but you will need a barrel wrench and a way to hold a receiver in a vice without damaging it.

Have you priced complete rifles? I'm a little dubious as the "bargain" of the kit by the time you make a rifle from it.

(Berks County)

Every barrel job I've done, the reciever gets the wrench and the barrel goes in the vice.

(Bucks County)

You don't even know how to spell receiver.

(Bucks County)

Just needling you. I defer to your experience. Carry on

(York County)

Gunboards has a forum just for Lee-Enfield lovers. A number of professional armors (ex-UK, Canadian, Commonwealth) are there with advice and guidance for the asking.

There is also an who forum just for Lee-Enfield lovers out there. Many of the same folks on it.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    You don't even know how to spell receiver.
    I can't spell anything. Spell check fixes most of my mistakes.

I had a teacher tell me that I couldn't read because I couldn't spell therefore I wouldn't be able to recognize words.

(Monroe County)

I once put one together at a forks show going table to table starting with a barreled action.
    Ouch who's the twatwaffe that cut the recievers?
    Most enfields all you need are #1+#2 tip flat heads and an really long #3 for the stock bolt. Maybe an hex.
    This Kit shows a mag https://everygunpart.com/enfield-sml...ion-black.html

Humm If I had a good bbl action that would be a good buy to finish it. You can change the bolt heads for spaceing.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Lackawanna County)

Well, many thanks for the advice folks. I am quite certain that, with a receiver or barreled action at the right price, it would be a bargain. Complete rifles are going for $350-600 right now. It's simply a matter of actually tracking down a receiver- of course, as soon as I started looking, I found that Sarco is all of a sudden out of everything but sold-in-bulk warehouse specials, and I need one, not ten. Well, I'll post the build should I ever find that last, elusive part. Once again, many thanks.