Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Selling Sporterized Milsurp Rifle NEPA

Does anyone here know of a LGS in the greater Scranton area that will buy a sporterized 1917? I'm trying to sell it on here and on ArmsList but with no results and the 2 shops I went to today were big fat NO's. I'm just trying to scratch together enough $ to get a 770 in a caliber that doesn't beat my wife's shoulder after two shots. Ihave $55 I got from scrapping & I really only need another $220 or so and any leads would help. If I make it down, I'll try selling it at Oaks next weekend but I'm not even sure about that. Do I stick a for sale sign on it and carry it around the show? or just leave it in the car and ask vendors?

Default Re: Selling Sporterized Milsurp Rifle NEPA

Sling it over your shoulder and put a for sale sign on it. To be quite honest don't set the price too low, so aim a little high. Guys will think something is wrong with it if the price is too low. The other thing is you have some wiggle room on the price, but keep that to yourself. Guys like when they feel like they got a good deal.

So lets say you put 250 on it but really want 200. Get a nibbler and then set the hook and say you can always make me an offer. If the guy says 225 you made an extra 25. If the guy says 200 say ok Ill do that. He feels like he beat you for 50 bucks.

Maybe Ill see you there.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Sling it over your shoulder and put a for sale sign on it. To be quite honest don't set the price too low, so aim a little high. Guys will think something is wrong with it if the price is too low. The other thing is you have some wiggle room on the price, but keep that to yourself. Guys like when they feel like they got a good deal.

So lets say you put 250 on it but really want 200. Get a nibbler and then set the hook and say you can always make me an offer. If the guy says 225 you made an extra 25. If the guy says 200 say ok Ill do that. He feels like he beat you for 50 bucks.

Maybe Ill see you there.
    That's what I was hoping, just didn't know how the show would handle it, haven't been to Oaks before, let alone sold a rifle at the show, thanks for that. On the same note, if an out of state buyer shows up, then I need a FFL, just hope they don't have ridiculous prices

Quote Originally Posted by mikeybonez28 View Post
    That's what I was hoping, just didn't know how the show would handle it, haven't been to Oaks before, let alone sold a rifle at the show, thanks for that. On the same note, if an out of state buyer shows up, then I need a FFL, just hope they don't have ridiculous prices
    Lots of out of state buyers do come to the Oaks show. Yes you do need to be aware of that. If you have never been there its a lot to take in. Let the buyer pay the FFL fee if they are out of state.

What kind of caliber are you looking to get for your wife?
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Lackawanna County)

Which shops did you try? I've seen sporterized milsurps at Roll Call.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Lots of out of state buyers do come to the Oaks show. Yes you do need to be aware of that. If you have never been there its a lot to take in. Let the buyer pay the FFL fee if they are out of state.

What kind of caliber are you looking to get for your wife?
    Trying to get 253, 25-06, 7mm08, 30-30, 35rem. Something that'll kill a deer but not bruise my wife at the range

Quote Originally Posted by littlefitz View Post
    Which shops did you try? I've seen sporterized milsurps at Roll Call.
    Went to field & stream, gun toters, j&g (guy told me it was a chop job & didn't want to be bothered, looked about 90), called zellers & bears. I was told roll call was a long shot since they're more into the tactical end of firearms but I can call Monday before I head down there. I could make it tacti-cool, I have a bipod and cheek riser (made it myself but it came out well) & paint it black so some COD junkie will like it. It's an excellent rifle but recoil & carry weight are huge drawbacks

(York County)

If that is your listing in the classified: you should have no problem selling it. I'd say I'd take a look at it except you live 4+ hours away. Oakes sounds like a nice show, except its in the Philly suburbs. Getting there sucks from where I live. Guess its a case of having the right rifle in the right region where the market is.
    Last edited by Ecclectic Collector; February 5th, 2018 at 06:59 AM.

(Chester County)

Clean the barrel, bolt, and rub some linseed oil in on the stock if it looks dry. Better to take something that looks like a well-loved piece irrespective showing wear for its age than to walk around with a beater - if you're looking for a sale.
    - bamboomaster

(Lackawanna County)

Honestly, if I thought I could, I'd bite. As it is, Roll Call will definitely buy it. I've gotten a sporter No.1 Mk.III from them, there was a sporter Spanish 1916 in there the other day, I was there when they got a sportered Belgian Mauser off a fella, and there's been an unsportered Yugo Mauser sitting there for probably two months now. They'll definitely take it. Talk to Jerry, he knows a thing or two about older rifles.

(Bucks County)

It's a little difficult to evaluate a piece at Oaks with the $%$%-ing zip-tie thru the action.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast