Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default The trusty old S&W 686 is out and the newfangled FNX-40 is in as my nightstand gun

This is a little long winded, but I'm pretty excited about this new gun, and wanted to share my experience with it.

I'm not exactly what you would call an early adopter. I grew up shooting 38 and 357 revolvers, and I always chose one as a nightstand gun because of their simplicity and reliability. I have a modern polymer wonder-gun for carry because of the size/weight/capacity, but for home defense, a 4" model 686 always felt reassuringly solid and powerful - and weight is a non-issue in that application.

Recently I was enticed into buying an FNX-40 because of a mega-sale, and I think I'm in love.

Ergonomics are different for everybody, but this thing is a perfect fit for my hand. (I wear size XL gloves due to long fingers) The controls are all very easy to reach and the safety/decocker lever is genius. Can't believe nobody employed this type of design before. Grip angle is perfect. I've read complaints about the sharp pyramids on the grips, but it wasn't an issue for me at all - even after 500 rounds in an afternoon. And Im an office worker - not a lumberjack. This may be something that FN has revised in more recent versions.

Trigger is decent. Not exceptional, but not bad. Let's say good enough to not get in the way. In a defensive scenario, I'm not going to be taking the time to appreciate a really great trigger pull.

I've never liked Glocks becuase I'm a reloader. The FN has a fully supported chamber, and traditional land and groove rifling, so I won't have brass bulge, and I can shoot lead bullets if I want to. I like to shoot plated bullets for practice - not sure if those are "glockable" or not, but they should do just fine in the FN. And for a defensive gun, there can never be too much practice.

The machining, fit, and finish are excellent. The bore is virtually free from any machining marks whatsoever. This is probably a big part of why it's so accurate. And it IS accurate. Probably the most accurate auto-loader I own. Reliability is yawn-inducing. I got the thing brand new, cleaned it quickly, and then took it to the range and fired 500 rounds - a mix of factory ammo and several different reloads. There were no issues whatsoever. It was even possible to load the brand new magazines to full capacity with no mag-loader tools, and no sliced thumbs.

Recoil is minimal for the cartridge. The current internet wisdom seems to be that the 40S&W cartridge has "snappy recoil." I guess I would agree if we're talking about a compact gun, but in a full size gun, I've never found it to be objectionable. (Then again, I was raised on the 357 magnum). The FNX has softer recoil than any other 40 S&W I've shot. I don't know if its the flat-steel recoil spring, the low bore axis, or the good fit for my hand. Probably a combination of all of these things. But I couldn't really tell much of a difference versus, say, my Beretta 92 in 9mm. The current internet wisdom also seems to be that modern 9mm bullets can do anything a 40 S&W can do. Maybe that's true - I dunno. But I figure those same modern bullets are available in 40 S&W, so that cartridge should perform better still.

Long story short folks, give these new FNX's a try if you get an opportunity - and if you like the SA/DA format. I can't see any downsides to mine.
    Last edited by jmh308; February 7th, 2018 at 07:15 PM.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: The trusty old S&W 686 is out and the newfangled FNX-40 is in as my nightstand gu

Sounds great! I hope you get much practice and pleasure from your purchase. BUT don't give up your 686 just yet! Get a good strong side holster for it and maybe 5 Safariland Comp III speedloaders for it and a way to carry 3 of them on your belt and hike over to the local IDPA match and have some fun!

The FNX sounds like a great piece, but, for me I don't think I go for .40. I need to start reloading for yet another caliber like I need a hole in the head!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Default Re: The trusty old S&W 686 is out and the newfangled FNX-40 is in as my nightstand gu

Well I just took delivery of another one...this time with a black slide instead of stainless. They have a rebate available for a free InForce APL light, which is nice.

Wonder why these things arent more popular. Are DA/SA pistols just out of fashion? Maybe folks arent interested in trying anything that's a non-Glock?

(Lancaster County)

JMH, I feel the same about my FNX 45 (non-tac) perfect ergonomics, a bit fat and utterly accurate and reliable, as for the grip, I too had a slight issue with the pyramid checkering, if you look at them with a magnifier they come to a very sharp point like holding a cheese grater or wood rasp.
    I raided my wifes manicure kit and found a very fine , probably 1200 or 1500 grit emery board and slowly flattened them out a bit and went a hair heavier at the 1,5,7,11 O'clock ribbed corners, feels wonderful now and seems not as blocky biting into the hand. a very little goes a long way
    I love the decocker/safety lever, I have an HK USP 40 Compact set up the same way, it works just right for me , others will POO POO at it as being unnecessary

I've never been a huge fan of the Glock either, I bust on my Glock Fanboy buddies. Telling them sure it's only $400 bucks or so. But you all end up spending many $$$ installing new triggers,sights,barrels,spring kits and guides to make it what an FN and HK is out of the box

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jmh308 View Post
    Well I just took delivery of another one...this time with a black slide instead of stainless. They have a rebate available for a free InForce APL light, which is nice.

Wonder why these things arent more popular. Are DA/SA pistols just out of fashion? Maybe folks arent interested in trying anything that's a non-Glock?
    I think hammer fired guns in general are going by the wayside. Will they disappear? Absolutely not. But striker fired is the main design of choice nowadays. Cheaper and simpler all around. I'll stick with my hammers though. I almost always have a hammer fired pistol with me on range day, whether it be a USP or my FNX45T. On the other hand, I rarely bring a striker fired gun. Even striker fired guns that reportedly have good triggers (HK VP9, specifically) are lacking for me...

BTW, if you like how the FNX's safety/decocker works, look at the HK USP series. The most common version (V1) functions exactly the same (up for safe, all the way down to decock).

Thanks for the tip on the HK USPs. I was mainly familiar with the Berettas and 3rd Gen S&Ws (5906, 4506) which work a lot differently.
    IMO, the FNs design overcomes the main complaint about DA/SA pistols: the inconsistent trigger pull between the first and second shot. If thats a concern, just carry it cocked and locked

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    JMH, I feel the same about my FNX 45 (non-tac) perfect ergonomics, a bit fat and utterly accurate and reliable, as for the grip, I too had a slight issue with the pyramid checkering, if you look at them with a magnifier they come to a very sharp point like holding a cheese grater or wood rasp.
    I raided my wifes manicure kit and found a very fine , probably 1200 or 1500 grit emery board and slowly flattened them out a bit and went a hair heavier at the 1,5,7,11 O'clock ribbed corners, feels wonderful now and seems not as blocky biting into the hand. a very little goes a long way
    I love the decocker/safety lever, I have an HK USP 40 Compact set up the same way, it works just right for me , others will POO POO at it as being unnecessary

I've never been a huge fan of the Glock either, I bust on my Glock Fanboy buddies. Telling them sure it's only $400 bucks or so. But you all end up spending many $$$ installing new triggers,sights,barrels,spring kits and guides to make it what an FN and HK is out of the box
    Exactly my issue with our FNX-45 Tactical demo gun we have... damn that thing is hard on the hands after a box of ammo. I'm a Glock guy (G17 Gen 5 9mm) but you have to respect the FNX engineering.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Lackawanna County)

I do not like the safety/decocker on them. They sit where my thumb should be. It just wasn’t comfortable for my grip.

I’ve tinkered with the 509 and it’s meh. Out of all the newer wondernines it was one of the most underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    I do not like the safety/decocker on them. They sit where my thumb should be. It just wasn’t comfortable for my grip.

I’ve tinkered with the 509 and it’s meh. Out of all the newer wondernines it was one of the most underwhelming.
    I suppose the swappable backstraps would help with grip circumfrence issues but prolly wouldnt do anything for grip height. For me, my thumb falls right under the decocker when its on "fire." It would probably interfere when you push the lever down to decock, but I can regrip when I need to do that.

I've read pretty lukewarm reviews on the 509 but havent handled one myself. I wonder if FN took the common route of cheapening the manufacturing process and calling it "new and improved." I hope thats not the case but accept that it probably is.

Anytime you find something that seems very well made for the price, (like the FNS series) you can pretty much guarantee that either the quality will decline or the price will increase.

Anywho...back to the FNX....I compared my "lightly used" model with the brand new one. Trigger seems to have broken in and become a bit smoother. Still not great but a little better than stock. Same story with the slide.