Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Beretta 96a1: my first .40 S&W

My Beretta 96a1 is my first .40 S&W. I've owned a ton of different guns over the past 8 years or so. Never owned a .40 until now. I like the ballistics, and the number "4" at the beginning of the caliber.

This one is a redesigned 96 by Beretta, with a recoil buffer in the frame to prevent battering on the alloy. Came with 3 magazines that hold 11 rounds (the mags say "12", but the magazine does not insert well with the 12+1).

I found these Ajax blue grips. Never wanted a pearl-type grip until now.

Anyone else have experience with this particular model?

Also: seems like someone at the Beretta factory is putting some 'idiot scratches' on the frames. Here's a pic of the scratches. I first thought the long scratch was a hairline crack. But the other model at the store had the exact same mark. Wish they wouldn't scratch the new guns. But I like this one anyway.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Beretta 96a1: my first .40 S&W

Sweet!

The scratches could have been from putting a lower into a vice. Is there a test target included these days?
    - bamboomaster

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    Sweet!

The scratches could have been from putting a lower into a vice. Is there a test target included these days?
    Thanks. No test target.

I bought a few 50 round boxes of Speer Gold Dot LE 165 grain HP. That seems to be at the top of the choices for .40

(Lehigh County)

Congrats on the new family member I just love my 92FS. These Beretta's are beautiful guns and shoot wonderfully. At least in my experience. Those Italians make sexy cars, sexy guns and sexy women

(Bucks County)

Love my 92fs. Hated the police trade in 96g I had. Sold it quickly with no regrets. I wondered if the buffer would have improved it. Obviously it was older. I didn't play with the springs either.
    As a side note, I also hated the sig p229 in .40 I had at the time. Before you say I hate the caliber, my ex had a p239 in .40 that was pleasant.

All that said, if you enjoy it, that is awesome. I hate being the downer posting about how I didn't care for the 96.

-Zach

(Allegheny County)

Despite popular opinion, I think you will find the forty is a sweet caliber to shoot.

Thanks.

I’m finding the price of .40 S&W to be very reasonable. Walmart has value pack 200 rd. Winchester 165 gr. For 57 bucks. Speer Gold dots 165 I got for 23 dollars for 50.

Definitely affordable round to own and shoot

(Allegheny County)

bigger and faster, whats not to love. It is also a great caliber to reload if you are into that. straight walled case and all.

(Lancaster County)

Nice pistol. I have a Brigadier slide on my 96 which is beefier and found that an 18 pound recoil spring makes it feel just like a 9 mm when shooting. Wolf springs used to sell recoil springs in a four weight kit so one could experiment. I think the 92A1 and 96A1 may now come with a captive spring but it still could be replaced.
    If you haven’t stumbled across the topic yet look into changing the hammer spring to a “D” spring. It will greatly improve the first double action pull. Maybe they’re standard now?
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Blair County)

I had the Taurus version of this way back in the day. .40 defensive ammo is easier for me to find then 9mm. not to mention most of the time you can get some decent stuff in 50 round boxes instead of 20 rd boxes. Not sure why that is. Been trying to find 9mm ranger Ts for sale forever.....seems like only Hornady is available.