Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Desert Eagle 50 A/E Question

Unfortunately DE’s aren’t know for their stellar reliability, but they are known to eject brass to face 95% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Luckily mine ejects straight out and to the right never coming anywhere near me. The 50 a/e casing alone would probably kill ya - lol.
    Its not fun I'll tell you that.

(Berks County)

Thanks all. Going to break her down and clean/lube - then stretch the spring a bit. I got the combo with 44 mag barrel and mag so I'll take everything to the range next time and see what happens.
    Stretching springs fs them up. Never do it. Replace the springs. New mag springs and recoil spring. Slide is moving too fast to let the round come up.

The information on springs is abundant and not that hard to find. We all did the stretch thing out of ignorance, it seems like the logical thing to do. In reality you are bending the metal beyond the elastic point and that weakens the spring farther than it was before. Heavier springs slow down the action because the suck up more energy. Heavier springs speed up feeding because the push on the follower and ammo harder.

I have the DE in 50ae it never fails to function with factory ammo. I have made crappy reloads with accurate number 9 that left so much unburnt powder it would jam up.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    Needs cleaned and don't limp wrist it. 44's will do the same.
    After shooting it, I hardly have a wrist left ! Never thought I limp wristed when shooting, but I guess it could be possible with this bear. Thanks
    Yea really, was not bashng, what would be holding hard on most anything else is limp with these.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Berks County)

Is it not loading the round or is it not fully returning to battery? The latter is the more frequent problem in that the slide doesnt fully close. The cause of this is normally due too limp wristing and/or the dual recoil spring needing to be replaced. I had to replace mine on a new DE. DE sells a tune up kit that includes the recoil spring and some other parts. Forget the one part name but the plastic nubbin piece for the extractor is also an important part that caused problems for many

https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/gu...t-dep212bl.asp

(Berks County)

Just to add maintaince is recommended every 1k rounds through this gun. Below is the description from parts kit

After your Desert Eagle racks up a few miles, install new springs and restore the zing. Recommended every 1,000 rounds for .50 AE (Mark VII & XIX) or every two-three years depending on usage since springs over time with or without use can weaken. Spring tune-up kit includes two outer recoil springs, two inner recoil springs, two retaining rings, ejector pin, ejector spring, magazine spring, extractor pin, extractor spring and firing pin spring. Please note the coil extractor spring has had an inline factory change, the new polymer extractor spring (cone-shaped polymer material) replaces the coil style spring.

(Cumberland County)

Slide is closing fully it appears, just won't pick up a round.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillySoldier View Post
    Is it not loading the round or is it not fully returning to battery? The latter is the more frequent problem in that the slide doesnt fully close. The cause of this is normally due too limp wristing and/or the dual recoil spring needing to be replaced. I had to replace mine on a new DE. DE sells a tune up kit that includes the recoil spring and some other parts. Forget the one part name but the plastic nubbin piece for the extractor is also an important part that caused problems for many

https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/gu...t-dep212bl.asp
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Cumberland County)

Well hope I don't have to replace all that . Guns is new with only the 20 round I put through it Thanks for info. though!

Quote Originally Posted by PhillySoldier View Post
    Just to add maintaince is recommended every 1k rounds through this gun. Below is the description from parts kit

After your Desert Eagle racks up a few miles, install new springs and restore the zing. Recommended every 1,000 rounds for .50 AE (Mark VII & XIX) or every two-three years depending on usage since springs over time with or without use can weaken. Spring tune-up kit includes two outer recoil springs, two inner recoil springs, two retaining rings, ejector pin, ejector spring, magazine spring, extractor pin, extractor spring and firing pin spring. Please note the coil extractor spring has had an inline factory change, the new polymer extractor spring (cone-shaped polymer material) replaces the coil style spring.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

Slide is closing fully it appears, just won't pick up a round.
    Its gotta be a magazine issue.

(Jefferson County)

There are generally only 3 reasons why a gun wont strip another cartridge from the magazine.

1. Weak mag spring. The slide rides over the next cartridge, and does so pretty fast. If the mag spring doesn't push the cartridge up after the slide has cleared the rear of the cartridge and starts moving forward - it wont nab the cartridge.

2. The slide isn't cycling back far enough past the rear of the next cartridge.

3. Limp wristing. If the slide cycles all the way, and if the mag spring is strong, inertia of the recoil can work against the mag spring. This issue tends to magnify as cartridge weight in the magazine increases.

--------

Mix in the Desert Eagle with 1-3 above..

#3 magnifies #1 substantially due to the overall weight of .44mag and .50AE cartridges. If the spring is weak, it will have a harder time pushing up more mass.

With the DE, it likes hotter cartridges to cycle all the way(#2). Heavy slide, heavy recoil springs. If I remember correctly, they are rated at 25lbs EACH for the 44mag. Possibly more for the .50AE. Most commercially available .50AE shouldn't have the #2 issue unless the gas port is restricted or there is something causing drag on the cycling action.

So, I'd lean towards the mag springs, make sure the gas action is clean, and that there aren't any burs in the action causing additional drag.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast