Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: New Shooter

(Allegheny County)

Default New Shooter

Right, so I'm completely new to shooting. Don't own a firearm, never been hunting, totally inexperienced. Everyone's gotta start somewhere though right?

I've been wanting to get into shooting for a while now (just target practice, not quite hunting just yet) and I was curious on what you all would suggest I do to get my foot in the door. I'm not quite of pistol owning age just yet (just one more year), but that doesn't matter for rifles right?

I live 2 doors down from a sportsman club, and I guess joining would be a step in the right direction, but how are these things organized? Like what is their purpose? I guess I just don't understand them in the slightest bit.

Also, a couple of my younger friends (the kind that can't vote for a couple years) want me to take them to a range some time, and I promised them I'd find a way for them to shoot. Any suggestions on a range that will let me rent a gun and doesn't mind my younger guests?

As for a location, I'm in Cuddy, nestled right between Bridgeville and McDonald, right on the border of Wash. Co. Anything close by would be preferable.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: New Shooter

Quote Originally Posted by scoil44 View Post

I live 2 doors down from a sportsman club, and I guess joining would be a step in the right direction, but how are these things organized? Like what is their purpose? I guess I just don't understand them in the slightest bit.
    Welcome to the forum. Man do I envy you. I wish there was a range with in walking distance.

I would join up with the range, and maybe start with a .22. Once you get started it becomes addicting.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Mifflin County)

Before buying any gun, I'd recommend finding a basic firearms safety class so you can have someone show you how to do things safely and properly. Check with that nearby range, they might have something available.

I'd recommend a bolt action .22 for a "first gun" as well. No recoil, and a bolt action is going to encourage you to take your time and aim each shot. A semi, you're more likely to start "how fast can I empty the mag" type stuff, and you don't want to do that. At least not until you have a strong grasp of things and can do so accurately.

(Allegheny County)

Welcome ... I agree a .22 bolt rifle is a great starting point. Most ranges require you to attend a meeting before you can apply to join. I would call or walk over to the one next to you and talk to a board member. Ask what their procedures are for joining and if they offer any kind of safety/beginner classes.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Welcome to the fraternity. Many Ranges have guns to rent, so you can try one before you purchase.

(Westmoreland County)

A&S indoor pistol range in Youngwood, Westmoreland county near New Stanton has NRA Basic pistol classes, as well as other classes. They rent guns, and will give basic instruction, or private lessons. Call 724-925-1212.