Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Best ar15 ammo for Longer Distances

Looking to get into LRS but don't really have the coin to buy a dedicated LR rifle/scope so I am hoping to start by using my existing AR15. I am looking for suggestion on what ammo (grain, brand, etc) to use optimize my results.
    I have 14.5" CHF barrel with a 1in7" Twist.
    The Ballistics chart I saw compared 62gr to 77Gr out of a 14.5" and it seems that the 77had more Drop after 300m. they were almost identical out to 300m ( http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/w...07/gMnML0W.png ).

Thanks for any suggestion,
    Steve

Default Re: Best ar15 ammo for Longer Distances

you have to try a few different ones out and see what your rifle likes.

MK262 is a good place to start
    On the seventh day God rested; Marines filled sandbags.

(Chester County)

The 77's will be less affected by wind at distance. If you reload, 23.6 gr of Ramshot TAC behind this Sierra pill is an accurate, full-power load in our 16" barrels that are topped with a 4x ACOG. Because of the built-in bullet hold-over hash marks,with a little practice on your part, no problem hitting where you're aiming out to 600 yds. It definitely helps to have a spotter to read the wind and bullet impact at further distances.

IMG_9068[2].jpg
    Last edited by bamboomaster; February 1st, 2018 at 01:43 PM.
    - bamboomaster

(Blair County)

My accurate AR is an 18" 1:8 barrel andit loves Sierra 65g game kings(3/8" @ 100yards) 69 grain match kings (3/4" @ 100) are almost as good, then 77 gr match kings(1"@ 100). This is with a 16x scope put on. The regular scopes is a 4x12 usually set to about 6 power and then it doesnt really matter which of the three loads i use.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by GinzoMatic View Post
    you have to try a few different ones out and see what your rifle likes.

MK262 is a good place to start
    This. Mod 2 is temperature stabilised also.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Lancaster County)

Last edited by ArmyVet; February 11th, 2018 at 10:51 AM.

(Chester County)

I find 77gr SMK’s over Varget, 8208XBR, or Reloader 15 to be veryyyy accurate.

One thing to consider is that the heavier bullets need all the velocity help they can get. At 14.5”, your barrel may not be pushing the bullets to their maximum capability. My “long range” AR’s are either 18” or 20”.

For those saying Mk262, we have to remember that that round was specifically developed for the Mk12 Mod0 rifle which had an 18” 1:8 twist barrel. It’s also a screaming hot load that when trying to imitate may result in high pressure signs.

In my Mk12 Mod0, I’ve found the below combo works wonders and is a very capable round at distance:

77gr Sierra Match King HPBT
    23.1 Gr Varget
    Loaded to magazine length (I think 2.260” IIRC)
    CCI SRP

(Westmoreland County)

To keep it simple whatever shoots the best in YOUR rifle , also what do you consider longer ranges ? 300 yds ? 600? If it's 300 yds any midweight bullet 60-70 gr that your gun likes will do ok , after that yeah you can shoot the same middle weights there just gonna get blown around more on breezy days . Again shoot what your gun likes

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    To keep it simple whatever shoots the best in YOUR rifle , also what do you consider longer ranges ? 300 yds ? 600? If it's 300 yds any midweight bullet 60-70 gr that your gun likes will do ok , after that yeah you can shoot the same middle weights there just gonna get blown around more on breezy days . Again shoot what your gun likes
    In the process of joining a Range that goes out to 600yds and was looking to get a RPR6.5 but when I started looking at the cost I thought i would be a better idea to shoot my AR at shorter targets (100-300yds) practicing and working on my shooting ability before investing in an RPR, Scope, rings, etc,

So longer range for the foreseeable future would be 600yds but mostly < 300 with the AR. I know I will have to try out different ammo but I was looking for a starting point
    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
    STeve

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO666 View Post
    In the process of joining a Range that goes out to 600yds and was looking to get a RPR6.5 but when I started looking at the cost I thought i would be a better idea to shoot my AR at shorter targets (100-300yds) practicing and working on my shooting ability before investing in an RPR, Scope, rings, etc,

So longer range for the foreseeable future would be 600yds but mostly < 300 with the AR. I know I will have to try out different ammo but I was looking for a starting point
    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
    STeve
    In your 1/7 twist you need to shoot at minimum 60gn bullets. 55gn bullets in 1/7 typically over stabilized. For up to 300 yards, 69gn will work fine on calm days, go heavier if you have wind.
    Toujours pręt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast