Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Best ar15 ammo for Longer Distances

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    In your 1/7 twist you need to shoot at minimum 60gn bullets. 55gn bullets in 1/7 typically over stabilized. For up to 300 yards, 69gn will work fine on calm days, go heavier if you have wind.
    This is not true. 55 grain pills work just fine in 1:7 twist guns. I wouldn't venture much below that but certainly 55 grainers are A-OK.

Additionally, I wouldn't limit your choices within 300 yards. Mil-spec (I know, not the greatest threshold, but a threshold nonetheless) states M4 carbine's effective point target range is 500m...with 55 grain ball.

What you say about wind drift is accurate however. Heavier bullet = less effected by wind. Again, there's always a trade off. Heavier bullet = faster drop.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ianb1116 View Post
    Mil-spec (I know, not the greatest threshold, but a threshold nonetheless) states M4 carbine's effective point target range is 500m...with 55 grain ball.
    Keep in mind when reading this statement that "effective" with an M4 is minute-of-bad-guy. Someone looking for MOA accuracy at 500 with 55g ain't gonna get it...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Keep in mind when reading this statement that "effective" with an M4 is minute-of-bad-guy. Someone looking for MOA accuracy at 500 with 55g ain't gonna get it...
    Agreed. 55's would get thrown around, hence my original suggestion of the 75gr SMK's. OP made no mention of shooting for tiny groups though. But frankly, getting MOA accuracy out of any .223/5.56mm at 500 is pretty tough.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ianb1116 View Post
    This is not true. 55 grain pills work just fine in 1:7 twist guns.
    One man's ceiling is another man's floor. If you're plinking, 55's are fine in 1/7. If you're looking to shoot the smallest groups your rifle can produce, 55's suck bad in a 1/7. The 55gn round is just not long enough to perform well in the 1/7.
    Last edited by Hawk; February 16th, 2018 at 05:11 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    One man's ceiling is another man's floor. If you're plinking, 55's are fine in 1/7. If you're looking to shoot the smallest groups your rifle can produce, 55's suck bad in a 1/7. The 55gn round is just not long enough to perform well in the 1/7.
    Which is why I am looking for suggestions on other Weight/Brand Bullets. I have some 62gr m855's that I will break out once the weather gets better but looking for others as well.. I am not expecting Sub MOA

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO666 View Post
    Which is why I am looking for suggestions on other Weight/Brand Bullets. I have some 62gr m855's that I will break out once the weather gets better but looking for others as well.. I am not expecting Sub MOA
    As I stated in my post 300 ish yds you reall don't need the 75-77 gr stuff 60 -69 gr will hold its own just as well but if you want any form of accuracy just don't waist time with fmj bullets . A few good ones I would suggest would be the hornady amax , 65 gr serria game king . About any of the 68-69 gr match bullets your gun will decide which one it likes best .

(Chester County)

OP - what’s your goal? Sub MOA at range or plinking on steel at range?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12