Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Bullet goes through my sons bedroom window!

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    If you don’t own the property it would be nice if you could get the property owner to post it against trespass. Then request your PSP to do a property check understanding that any trespassers could be cited. That should reduce the risk of it ever happening again significantly.
    That was my thought as the night went on. However it will be of some difficulty. The pond where the people were shooting is a keystone between 3 property owners. One is my neighbor and I know she would undoubtedly be on board because she is a widow with 2 young children herself. I don't know who the other 2 are but its a small town and my neighbors late husband was a township supervisor so Im sure she knows who they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Thank God no one was hurt! My first priority would be to protect my family. I wouldn't invite even one of them to the house because, if one knows they all know. The broken window IMO is of little importance. They will probably never return and you should want it that way. No amount of money could ever replace a family member. Fix the window and write off the damages. Even make a report to your homeowners. Do invite anyone to your house, except the Police in this case. My biggest fear would be that they or some others return when you aren't there to protect your family. What do you do then?
    Correct before I left with my bug in my waist, I put my wife and both children in the basement in my safe room. Like you stated it is highly unlikely that anybody would ever return, but it is possible. Even without an event like this happening society is crazy these days. My wife and I have been looking to build another house the last couple years..... This just gave her more incentive to say ITS TIME TO GO. I like most others with my sickness usually have a hidden stash and spend it all on guns and bows..... I think after my next rifle and NV purchase is completed next week, I will have to hunker down and start the land buying process somewhere away from here for her sanity and my children's education.

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Thankfully no one was injured. A very dangerous situation for sure. Although, more dangerous that you decided to confront the suspects on your own.
    True, very true. Im the guys who wants answers more now than later, and with the adrenaline flowing I made a dangerous decision. There was definitely no mistaking my sxs blowing through the woods with the light bars on, so they at least had the decency to stop when they saw the lights. I handled myself at the confrontation a lot better, A LOT better than I ever imagined I could have in my head. Friends and my wife's family went on with the "I would have done this and that" blah blah lets be a gun blazing hero.....
    Having several friends and family in all types of law enforcement gave me the sanity and some what of a prepared knowhow if that makes sense, to get my information, make the people aware of the idiots that they were and are, and leave. I didn't have to be billy bad ass, like they would have..... that gets you know where; and the possibility of poor, violent, or deadly decision.

The officers on the phone told me don't go, but were very grateful that I did.

A one in a million chance that something like this happened, hopefully it never happens again, and I will never be put in this type of situation.

(Bucks County)

My thoughts....approaching a group, all armed, at night, in a remote area, and taking photos could easily have gone badly, or resulted in a smashed phone.

I'd give them all credit that they meant no harm and did not harm you. Credit also that they are willing to pay for the damage.

It happened. It could have been prevented (people used to be taught not to shoot at water). As far as shooting at ice goes, I've seen rifle bullets skip off of ice on a fire trail during deer hunting. I think you can be certain they will not repeat the mistake. The request of posting the pond is a good idea. I'd try it, to ease the wife's concerns.

If criminal prosecution is elected, it is Commonwealth versus, not you versus. You (and wife) are a witness. The PSP are sensing your hesitation, plus things haven't fallen into the handy slots they would like to see for a tidy presentation.

All present at the pond could be run for owner of a .40 in the ROS, possibly revealing a suspect.

I'd replace the window glass and repair whatever the round penetrated, treat it as an accident with no malicious intent, and accept the $$ offered or request a reasonable reimbursement which seems to be available.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by H22ate View Post
    like I said before, you have six people with all different stories and a "missing" gun.
    For your last question, No the gun is not in the pond. I watched them throw all of their firearms and ammo.....yes throw/toss them into the back of a truck. Im sure when they got back to the house they were visiting it got stashed somewhere because whom ever "owned" it said it was a hot piece.
    That's just my thoughts but Im pretty sure im right on this one.

That would be the way a lot of people in their right mind would think however Im a little bit left. I have too many contacts, family, and friends in LE to know that without evidence there is nothing you could do. Maybe it was adrenalin, maybe stupidity..... but when something like this happens in the spur of the moment the only thing that was on my mind was find out the moron that did it.
    For the future - It's highly unlikely that any of them knew they hit your house... Which means they were not intending to scatter out of there...

Had you let the PSP handle the initial interaction, they would have had the evidence in front of them - they would have recorded it or confiscated it for the trial - They would also have been able to make their case without you 'pressing charges' leaving you out of the blame for the perps being charged (you would still have been a victim/witness)...

Adrenaline will often overcome the better choice of careful thought - For yourself & others that might have a similar experience in the future, let the police do what they are paid to do - investigate after the fact...

Unlike a definite confrontation with an armed person, requiring an immediate response, in this type situation, it is better NOT to create that confrontation nor alert the perps to the pending investigation...

As always, hindsight is usually better than the blurry vision (thoughts) of the moment...

I'm very glad to read that your family and you were unhurt in this incident...

Last edited by ImminentDanger; January 31st, 2018 at 02:18 AM.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    If you don’t own the property it would be nice if you could get the property owner to post it against trespass. Then request your PSP to do a property check understanding that any trespassers could be cited. That should reduce the risk of it ever happening again significantly.
    sorry the signs don't help, my property is posted, and gate locked. I've had the chain cut and other activity to bypass the gate. I've had my trailer burned (Arson), and game cams stolen. State Police and neighbors are aware of the situation and still 0 arrests/ detentions etc.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ImminentDanger View Post
    For the future - It's highly unlikely that any of them knew they hit your house... Which means they were not intending to scatter out of there...

Had you let the PSP handle the initial interaction, they would have had the evidence in front of them - they would have recorded it or confiscated it for the trial - They would also have been able to make their case without you 'pressing charges' leaving you out of the blame for the perps being charged (you would still have been a victim/witness)...

Adrenaline will often overcome the better choice of careful thought - For yourself & others that might have a similar experience in the future, let the police do what they are paid to do - investigate after the fact...

Unlike a definite confrontation with an armed person, requiring an immediate response, in this type situation, it is better NOT to create that confrontation nor alert the perps to the pending investigation...

As always, hindsight is usually better than the blurry vision (thoughts) of the moment...

I'm very glad to read that your family and you were unhurt in this incident...

Thank you sir I too am glad everybody is unharmed.

With the statement in bold above..... The police would not have been able to go back into that area without me and my SXS. Their explorers wouldn't have made the trails not to mention their were 4 officers in cars. The people that were there looked to be getting ready to leave as I arrived, they had been shooting in the dark for about 45 minutes, so Im guessing I arrived onsite just in the nick of time.

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    sorry the signs don't help, my property is posted, and gate locked. I've had the chain cut and other activity to bypass the gate. I've had my trailer burned (Arson), and game cams stolen. State Police and neighbors are aware of the situation and still 0 arrests/ detentions etc.
    I agree, we have 150 acres through these trails about a mile away. Its crazy how I have these trails posted, yet every weekend when i'm checking trail cams I find more and more garbage through out the place. A lot of my friends and co-workers are from the south especially texas, when I tell them of these problems they tell me to "call the sheriff or call the game warden".... They don't understand, where Im from those kinds of things don't get attention. Even when people were poaching on our land, the game commission said there was nothing that they could do.....its a darn shame. We have very few rights as property owners, and the trespassers seem to have more.

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Oy vey!

No matter where one lives: city vs. deep rural there is always a numskull to invade and take as they so desire!

(York County)

It bothers me that someone who may have possessed a known stolen pistol is allowed to walk, and the gun remains on the street. I didn't see in the OP where he told the guys by the lake what type of round went through the window. The fact the gun was already missing when PSP arrived tells me the owner knew it was hot.

I like the idea of telling any one of them, "cough up the .40, or the PSP says you all get charged". The non-owners would put enough heat on the owner that it may mysteriously appear, even if no one claims it.

We all make mistakes (or as some of you insist, ND's); I have a hole in my pole building to prove it, but I certainly would not want to be lumped in with gun owners who knowingly possess stolen firearms.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345