Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Bullet goes through my sons bedroom window!

1) How can they prove which hoodlum did the deed? 2) I think that your concern about retaliation is legit. 3) I doubt that they would do the same again. Accordingly, I'd get money for the window and run. The thought that they might be wielding a stolen pistol does irk me and I would probably try to retrieve it, well documented, of course. If you had a heavy (real heavy) magnet and a length of parachute cord you could try fishing it out of that hole. I would discuss that with the PSP before hand so you don't get accused of having a stolen gun.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Crawford County)

Technically, the State Police can file charges without your consent. That’s not the preferred method but it can be done. If you were “subpoenaed” to testify that would take some of the sting out of so called pressing charges. The likely outcome is based on a lot of factors. How good is the evidence they can bring to bear on one person. You can’t charge a group of people. One person pulled the trigger. Unless there are other holes in your house you haven’t seen. And that is possible.

Lots of factors involved. Chances are one or many of the guys your confronted have a criminal record and possibly the one that shot is prohibited from Possessing and facing a severe penalty. It’s possible you will be getting a phone call from a criminal investigator, plainclothes. You likely talked with a uniformed Trooper.

You don’t have anything to lose by talking to an attorney. If you get involved as a victim...which you will have to do if there is to be a case.....you will possibly have to miss work for one or more hearings. The preliminary hearing would be the most uncomfortable when you’d have to testify before a district justice the events of the day. Unless the hearing is waived.

As far as retribution, a defendant would be risking compounding the severe penalties by even contacting you or harassing your family. But bottom line is it was recklessly endangering and negligent if they reasonably should have known a house was in the line of fire.

These are just quick thoughts and by no means advice. It’s your call. If they fix the window for you, that could be used as evidence of a guilty conscience. And anything they say to you while they are there of a damaging nature....could also become evidence.

Curious, is the gun in the pond? They might be back to retrieve it. Trail cameras?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    We need a lawyer's opinion. What are the chances of them facing any significant penalties here, when you don't have the gun and you don't know who fired the shot? If the likely outcome is that they walk away with summary offenses or nothing at all, is it worth the hassle and possible repercussions?
    I don't know I see all these posts where billy bad ass stands solely on principle. The cost of their defense should make them think twice. How would the homeowner have to press charges, police file with homeowners as a witness?

(Indiana County)

Why not ask the guy mowing his lawn up in New York State who was shot by idiots target practicing?

(Lancaster County)

.40 cal shooting into a frozen pond?

I bet they were trying to replicate that.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Bedford County)

I would just wait to see if someone pays to fix the window, if not then maybe turn it into your homeowners? Sometimes the easiest way out of these situations is the best way.

And if it were me, I would think twice about seeking out the origin of a bullet that just flew through a window in my house. Especially at night. I would let the authorities handle the situation.

Bullet holes in windows are a lot easier to fix than bullet holes in your body.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8liner View Post
    I would just wait to see if someone pays to fix the window, if not then maybe turn it into your homeowners? Sometimes the easiest way out of these situations is the best way.

And if it were me, I would think twice about seeking out the origin of a bullet that just flew through a window in my house. Especially at night. I would let the authorities handle the situation.

Bullet holes in windows are a lot easier to fix than bullet holes in your body.
    The problem with homeowners is the deductible. Mine is 1k.

I'd say if he fixes the window, call it even but give him an earfull about shooting near your house again.

If he doesn't show, charges for everyone.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Venango County)

My thought would be, "Produce the firearm or I will press charges."
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

I’m amazed at the number of first-hand stories Ive heard about this happening. It seems like a one in 1 million kind of thing to have a bullet strike your house, when you don’t live somewhere rough.

The first one was my sister. Some Amish kids on a farm down the road from her place were sighting in their hunting rifles and a stray round went through the second story wall in the front of their house into my niece’s bedroom. It then traveled through an oak desk, struck a stud the wall of the bedroom between the bedroom and the hallway, ricocheted something like 90°, then went through the side wall of her bedroom, passed into my nephew’s bedroom, and lodged in the studs of his bedroom closet. My sister said it made a heck of a racket when it hit.

The second story is from a fellow I go to church with. The local Sportsmens club that I’m a member of apparently had a round go stray somehow that went into the front wall of his house. That penetrated the vinyl siding but I don’t think it actually made it inside the house. It was supposedly identified as a 7.62 round.
    “A Republic, if you can keep it.” - Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast