Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default Looking for handgun suggestions.

Hi there I'm knew to the site. I found many of the threads very helpful and informative so I decided to join. I'm looking to go handgun shopping later today and I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience, recommendations, or advice on what self defense pistol to get. I've mostly looked at the .40 cal S&W's in the $350-$500 dollar range. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

A few things I want to mention so I'm not to vague.
    I don't want a revolver.
    I don't like pistols that are excessively small or toy like.
    and I'd like a caliber thats strong but not to terrible on the wallet. (thats why my first thought was 40 cal.)
    It will eventually be concealed and carried.

Thanks again I look forward to hearing from you.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Looking for handgun suggestions.

I would suggest going to a few shops and handle a few. See what fits you hand.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    I would suggest going to a few shops and handle a few. See what fits you hand.
    Good advice, also gun shows have beau-coup handguns they will let you feel-up.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Bucks County)

Welcome to PAFOA.org!

You should get some great advice from people here. Given your budget and the description you provided, I would recommend a serious look at 9mm pistols.

You will hear people tell you that's it's a great cartridge, used universally by military forces around the world, a lot cheaper to shoot than .40SW or .45ACP and with modern hollowpoint and +p, plenty effective for self-defense.

Others will tell you that you've got to have .45ACP.

Personally, based on the budget, concealment concerns, etc. I think a 9mm makes a lot of sense. Look at Glocks and XDs and see if they work for you. If so, you get off the cheapest. For not much more you can snag a CZ or a slightly used HK USPc, and if the Glock and XD thing don't feel right to you. The money you save on 9mm vs. 40SW would easily make up that difference.

Try as many guns as you can, and don't rush. See if there are guys on the forum nearby who will let you try their pistols. If not, rent a few that you like before buying.

(Lehigh County)

I have to second the 9mm... that's about the only calibre that is more than good enough for self-defense and whose pistol varieties, size, and weight will prove more than adequate for concealed carry. If I'm not mistaken, the .40 caliber is just a silly millimeter wider, as the ad used to say, so I don't think the kill factor is going to be significantly different. And the cost and availability of 9mm ammo makes that choice a slam dunk... especially when the downfall of society comes and everyone's scrambling around for bullets.

Most pistols are just too big and heavy for constant concealed carry when you start talking about the larger calibres.

Check out the Kahrs, like the PM9 (or the MK9, if you like all steel). They're more than you want to spend, but let's face it, there are certain things you shouldn't skimp on.

The Glock 26 and 27 model are nice, but a bit bulkier.

Now, if you were willing to think about a revolver, there are some nice .38 specials from S&W and Taurus that fit your budget and are reasonable concealing size. And don't let anyone fool you into thinking the .38 isn't deadly. They do have .357 that will shoot .38, but again, they're bulkier and in the smaller gun models they kick like a mule.

(Delaware County)

Glock's XD's and the new M&Ps are all good, reliable pistols and in your range. Shooting both the Glock 17 and owning the XD service model in .40, I say they're both GREAT guns, but they're only as accurate as the shooter.

I like the feel of the XD more than the Glock, but I prefer the stock Glock sights over the stock XD sights....

your best bet is to visit a shop and handle them to see what works best for YOU..
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Lackawanna County)

welcome to the forum. i'm casting another vote for 9mm. modern ballistics have improved ammunition to the point that there's barely a distinction between 9mm and 45ACP anymore. the only difference, IMO, is how it feels when fired.

as far as guns go, i carry a S&W SW9VE. i've had it for over 2 years, have at least 2,000 rounds through it, and had no problems until last month. i sent it to S&W, and got it back in 14 days, fixed for no charge. it's accurate, reliable, and was priced right at $350. other 9mm to consider are XDs, Keltecs, SW M&Ps, Rugers, and Taurus. all of them have solid guns at good prices. just don't go looking for a good price at Gander Mountain.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    Glock's XD's and the new M&Ps are all good, reliable pistols and in your range. Shooting both the Glock 17 and owning the XD service model in .40, I say they're both GREAT guns, but they're only as accurate as the shooter.

I like the feel of the XD more than the Glock, but I prefer the stock Glock sights over the stock XD sights....

your best bet is to visit a shop and handle them to see what works best for YOU..
    Agreed on all points.

And as far as caliber goes, I say buy what you can afford to shoot/practice with and what is comfortable for you, all the guns in the world mean nothing without practice and ease of use to the handler. Pretty much any bullet from the 'standard' defensive handguns (9x19 -.45 ACP) will work fine for personal protection.

(Berks County)

Actually, I think that your best bet is to go to a shop/range combination that rents firearms by the hour. That would give you the opportunity to try multiple handguns and possibly find one firearm/caliber combination that suits you better than any of the others. There is no reason to limit yourself to one particular combination. I can tell you that I have many differing handguns in various calibers. One of the other advantages to going to a shop/range combo is that you could also get some basic instruction before you actually make your purchase. Above all else be safe and have fun. Shooting is a great hobby and you will meet many fine people because of it.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Berks County)

I carry a taurus PT140 (.40S&W Millenium Pro). They're also available in 9mm and 45ACP (as well as a couple smaller calibers)

Model: 140SSP
    Caliber: .40 S&W
    Capacity: 10+1
    Barrel Length: 3.25"
    Action: DA/SA
    Finish: Matte Stainless Steel
    Grips: Checkered Polymer
    Weight: 18.7 oz
    Construction: Polymer/Steel
    Frame: Compact
    Front Sight: Heinie
    Rear Sight: Straight-8
    Trigger Type: Smooth
    Length: 6.125"
    Width: 1.25"
    Height: 5.125"
    Rate of Twist: 1:16"
    Grooves: 6
    Safety: Firing Pin Block,Manual Safety,Manual Safety,Trigger Block

Im planning to purchase of the 24/7 Pro, 4" barrel in 9mm, .40S&W, and 45ACP.
    Last edited by mjfletcher; September 23rd, 2008 at 03:04 PM.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast