Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default Re: Long range rifle class

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    Distance is not that important to me, more concerned with the teaching to get myself there. Currently only shoot 200 yards and don't wanna sign up for a class that assumes I can already shoot well at 500-700yd
    Ghost LRP I class starts you at the beginning. Day one we were shooting at 100 yards to check zero and level of our optics to the rifle and shooting through lab radar to get shooting solutions if we didn’t have a ballistics app. We worked our way out by 100 yard increments. At the end of day one the instructors didn’t even want us shooting at 1000 yards. They assume nothing and make certain everyone is successful at every range. It’s a beginner level course, that’s why they have other level classes, but Ghost keeps it challenging and very interesting with the competition and games too. We also spent an hour or so in a classroom going over some basic, but good necesssry stuff before we headed to the range.

Like I said I never shot beyond 300 myself either.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    Any respectable training organization will have a beginner level class and instruct you in the fundamentals first, starting at closer ranges and moving back as they see you grasping the concept.
    I agree. Exactly what Ghost does.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by lross45 View Post
    I do know that the Rockwell Tactical class is taught by a Green Beret sniper and that they use a 1100 yard range, soon to be 1500 yards.
    I didn’t see anything on their site about a long range class. Maybe I’m missing it.

(Lancaster County)

I should point out I don't represent Rockwell and have never taken the long range class but I have taken other classes from them, great guys.

You must have missed them, they have 3 or 4 listed on their site for this year and my experience is you have to check their site often because they add classes during the year.
    The following is a class description from their web site:

Long-Range Marksmanship 101 - Apr. 20-22, 2018 - Towanda, PA

This class is for shooters who have attended a carbine course and are ready to expand their ability to shoot beyond the near-threat range. The course is designed from the combat long-range marksmanship perspective and will provide shooters with the tools they need to be able to stretch their competency to the beginning of the transonic range. Students completing this class will be confident in their ability to accurately account for the atmosphere, elevation, and their weapon’s muzzle velocity as they use this data to reliably produce first-round hits on long-range targets; shooters will re-define their understanding of the word “effective” in “maximum effective range.”

Day 1: The prone supported shooting position, setting up your rifle, introduction to optics.

Day 2: shooting: zero, true zero (muzzle velocity “MV”), understanding & applying atmospherics, holdover data “DOPE” for various known ranges given your weapon system’s MV.

Day 3: the “cold-bore” zero, using your tools, known distance shooting exam

Lunch will be provided Saturday and Sunday.

Length: 2.5 day class
    Time: 1pm-5pm Friday, 9am-5pm Saturday & Sunday
    Type: Classroom Instruction and Hands-On Training
    Audience: Everyone
    Prerequisites: Carbine 101 or equivalent
    Topics Covered:

Weapons system setup
    100m Zero with your Optic
    True Zero (muzzle velocity calculation)
    Known distance marksmanship

What to Bring: Rifle/Carbine, articulated reticle rifle scope 1-10x or larger, approximately 150 rounds of ammunition, eye protection, ear protection, laser range finder (can be provided if you don't have one), notebook & pencil, calculator, owner’s manual for your optic (.pdf or hard copy), hat/ball cap.

The following link will take you to the first class listing:

http://www.shop.rockwelltactical.com...420-lrm101.htm

(Bucks County)

Glad for the OP! I am always looking to expand my horizons as well. I'll throw in my appreciation to Black Hat as well. Freddy was an amazing instructor who was patient and thorough. The class we were in started everyone from their comfort levels and pushed us out to do things that amazed us all. I wouldn't mind taking the exact same class again. I am sure I would learn even more as there is so much to cover in a short time.

I am having difficulty getting the Ghost website to load, but I look forward to checking them out as well.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by xdfireguy View Post
    Glad for the OP! I am always looking to expand my horizons as well. I'll throw in my appreciation to Black Hat as well. Freddy was an amazing instructor who was patient and thorough. The class we were in started everyone from their comfort levels and pushed us out to do things that amazed us all. I wouldn't mind taking the exact same class again. I am sure I would learn even more as there is so much to cover in a short time.

I am having difficulty getting the Ghost website to load, but I look forward to checking them out as well.
    I would add to the comments about Freddy and Black Hats all around a great training program, with lots of shooting time, not too mention some theory in the class. We went out to 1000 yds on the first day and it was because everyone was hitting their targets sooner than anticipated. Going out to 1000yds was done in 100yd increments...if you get stuck at a distance, work it out, amend your dope and move on. Which is what we ended up doing. If you follow the basics and get your breathing down, your body behind the rifle, find your natural POA...hitting 1000 is not as hard as one would think.

I didn't have any real special rifle or optics. My ammo was match grade Prvi 175gr in 308. I had a Vortex Viper PST 4x16 in FFP and a Savage FLCP-k..left handed.

Before I took this training from Black Hats, I went to NHRPC, set up a chronograph, and took 5-6 sets of 5 shots each to find my speed. Once that was complete used the JBM charts, and printed out my chart...then went to the range and confirmed it. I use the same chart, but have printed another one for Fall and Spring. The differences are small but over 1000 yds, enough to miss my targets.

Either of these groups will give you the material you need to get the job done. However, once you learn it...practice, practice, practice.

(Lancaster County)

For those that took the Ghost course, did you stay at the lodge there? Leaning towards that course option as its closest drive wise
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Northumberland County)

For those that took the Ghost course, did you stay at the lodge there? Leaning towards that course option as its closest drive wise
    The “lodge” aka clubhouse is pretty sparse in accommodations. One big open room that everyone was sleeping on cots, air mattresses and sleeping bags. No showers. They do put on a great breakfast there though.

Me, I like a nice soft bed and AC when I’m on vacation. I stayed down the road at the Quality Inn. It’s a bit dated but close and clean enough.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mentch171 View Post
    The “lodge” aka clubhouse is pretty sparse in accommodations. One big open room that everyone was sleeping on cots, air mattresses and sleeping bags. No showers. They do put on a great breakfast there though.

Me, I like a nice soft bed and AC when I’m on vacation. I stayed down the road at the Quality Inn. It’s a bit dated but close and clean enough.
    Meh, I have slept on worse. Long as the roof doesn't leak life is good

Seems like for all the classes, food is a bring your own kinda thing.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Delaware County)

Meh, I have slept on worse. Long as the roof doesn't leak life is good

Seems like for all the classes, food is a bring your own kinda thing.
    I stayed at the "lodge" and the food was very good and plentifull. If you need, bring some snacks. I didn't have time to eat the ones I brought. One big room, but many of the guys in my class stayed and we had a great time. I brought a cot and sleeping bag, which was fine....afterall, its only a weekend. Shower? Who has time to shower, when you are shooting all day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast