Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Long range rifle class

Signed up and deposit placed for the Ghost May course.

For those that have taken this or similar course, what rear bag are you using?
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    Signed up and deposit placed for the Ghost May course.

For those that have taken this or similar course, what rear bag are you using?
    I used a small Flatline Ops Dirt Bag. Anything will work though. I also have a monopod on my rifle too. You won’t need to raise the stock end much because you’ll be shooting uphill as the range increases. More importantly you’ll want a tall bipod or tall front bag.

(Bucks County)

I have taken both the BHTC and the Ghost Long Range 1 class so I will give a brief rundown of each,

Ghost - I found this class to be very beginner friendly focusing more on the personal shooting aspect than the in-depth theory behind it. We spent an hour or so in class going through the basics before moving to the range for zeroing at 100 and groups at 200. From there they go one shooter at a time confirming your drop as you work your way out to about 700 on the first day. They periodically break for different competitions for prizes, these competitions vary from shooting the best hand in poker to a shoot out where you are out of the running if you miss. When 5 o'clock rolls around they break for dinner till dark and then turn on the spot light and shoot the night shoot.

The following day you work your way back out to 1000 along with confirming the rest of your numbers from 300 to 1000. They also touch on UKD shooting and holdovers before the final test which consists of picking 3 targets of various point worth and shooting for the highest score. For example the 600 yd silhouette worth 6 points while the 1000 yd head is worth 30 points. After that they gave us some free time to shoot whatever we wanted. Overall I found the class very fulfilling and a hell of a lot of fun which is why im heading back this year with a group of my buddies.

BHTC - This course I found to be more technical in nature, first day we spent 4 hours in class going over the finer points of long range shooting getting more in-depth in the science of it. They also focus on using your reticle to range targets which is a major part of the class as they never tell you the range of the targets only their dimensions. From there your move up to the range and do your zero check before moving out the range. We split up into three groups each with an instructor spotting for the group, to start off each target is first ranged by each of the students in the group who discuss and confirm the range with the instructor. Each group takes turns shooting the targets to confirm drop before moving to the next one, after a little while the groups were spread out at different ranges. The group I was in hit 1000 yards fairly quickly which left us with some free time to shoot other rifles we had brought. Around 5 we broke for dinner before coming back at dark for the night shoot.

On the second day they started by telling you to pick the farthest target you could ensure a hit on. From there the instructors worked with each of the students picking targets to shoot as well as setting your rifle to zero and practicing hold over drills. For these the instructor would give you 5 targets between 400 an 700 yards, he would call out one and your goal was to hit the given target in the shortest time possible. (Pro tip a FFP reticle at 12 to 15 power is damn near perfect for this.) They also gave you additional practice time to shoot whichever targets you wanted. During lunch the instructors moved the targets around for the final test which is a variation of the Marine Sniper UKD course. They give you 20 minutes to range all the targets at which point they proceed with the test, the spotter calls out a target and you get 10 seconds to dial before the instructor walks down the line to signal the shooter. When he taps your foot you have 3 seconds to engage, if you miss or take too long you get a deduction and have to shoot again. First round hit is 10 points, second is 8 and more than that is zero, total of 10 targets shot for a score of 100.

Not sure what type of rifle you are using but both classes are tailored towards the .308 class cartridges(6.5 creedmoor, .243 and the like) in tactical rifles and both advise against the use of hunting rifles for their class. After I took the BHTC class with my .300 Win Mag (which was fine only because it weighs 20 pounds) they changed the equipment list to show that magnum calibers and 3000+ fps cartridges required prior approval to use (I told them I was shooting 215 Bergers at 3040 fps prior to the class and they had no issues with it but it must have damaged some of the steel)

Overall I think you will have a blast at Ghost, I went with them again as the group of guys I'm shooting with are more into simply shooting long range rather than rather than getting into the details like I do. However if I was going by myself I would have no problems shooting with BHTC again and will probably shoot their Long Range 2 class in the future.

(Lancaster County)

I am shooting a 308 setup I tossed together.

Gotta get my 175gr TMK load testing done, and start cranking out rounds to bring to the class.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123