Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default NEED HELP! Looking for Land Nav!!

Hi guys,
    I'm new to the site, but more importantly I recently enlisted in the Army on a delayed entry. I have in my contract Option 40 (the ranger option) which more or less gets a me spot at attempting to become a ranger. I know I have to make it through basic, AIT, etc. before I attempt RASP, but from what I hear it's land nav where people usually wash out of ranger trainer. SO, I want to kick ass at land nav. Does anyone know where I could get training, or where to start? I've seen some courses from groups in the surrounding area but I am not entirely sure where to start. All I've done is take the Future soldier online Land Nav course from the Army.

Any help would be great!

(Venango County)

Default Re: NEED HELP! Looking for Land Nav!!

Blackwater.

Land Nav isn't where most candidates wash out of Ranger School. Actually many don't make it past pre-Ranger or if they do they tap out before field assessments. Hell, many don't make it past zero day.

The biggest challenge is the cadre will push your mind and body past the point of sheer exhaustion through sleep deprivation and lack of sufficient food to meet the calories you will burn. Their intent is to see how far you can go before it affects your decision making capabilities. You can undergo all the land nav training in the world but if your mind can't focus under stress you will make poor decisions and you'll cease being a team player.

You'll get plenty of land nav training in basic and AIT. I would highly discourage you from paying for civilian classes. There is no way to verify the competence and knowledge of the so-called professionals that offer these classes. Yes, some are former SF but some are not. You'd put yourself in more danger of picking up bad habits or learning incorrectly.

If you want to focus on improving your odds work on your fitness and stamina. If you aren't capable of rucking 20 miles with a 40lb pack in bad boots, you aren't there yet. If you can't do push ups and flutter kicks for never ending periods you aren't there yet. If you can't pass the APFT in OCP and boots you aren't there yet.

The things that get most booted from ranger: cheating - don't get caught eating the raspberries or sleeping on watch, never tell an RI "I can't", never give up, timed runs/rucks are a pass or fail event, be a team player because peer reviews can be heartless and injuries which are common.

Your unit at your duty station will be responsible for reserving Ranger School through ATRRS. You're going to fall in on an order-of-merit list at that initial unit meaning there are guys in training ahead of you waiting for training seats. While you're in that "wait status" your unit (if they have their shit together) will put you through hundreds of hours of repetitious training. This is two-fold: you have to prove to your CO and BN commanders that you have what it takes and the unit only wants to send those that they are confident will pass. It's a black eye to any unit when a soldier fails a school and gets sent home, therefore they will set you up for success.
    Last edited by MT1; January 27th, 2018 at 04:32 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by eislerm422 View Post
    Any help would be great!
    If ungawa was here, he’d help figure out if you were trolling us.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Land Nav isn't where most candidates wash out of Ranger School. Actually many don't make it past pre-Ranger or if they do they tap out before field assessments. Hell, many don't make it past zero day.

The biggest challenge is the cadre will push your mind and body past the point of sheer exhaustion through sleep deprivation and lack of sufficient food to meet the calories you will burn. Their intent is to see how far you can go before it affects your decision making capabilities. You can undergo all the land nav training in the world but if your mind can't focus under stress you will make poor decisions and you'll cease being a team player.

You'll get plenty of land nav training in basic and AIT. I would highly discourage you from paying for civilian classes. There is no way to verify the competence and knowledge of the so-called professionals that offer these classes. Yes, some are former SF but some are not. You'd put yourself in more danger of picking up bad habits or learning incorrectly.

If you want to focus on improving your odds work on your fitness and stamina. If you aren't capable of rucking 20 miles with a 40lb pack in bad boots, you aren't there yet. If you can't do push ups and flutter kicks for never ending periods you aren't there yet. If you can't pass the APFT in OCP and boots you aren't there yet.

The things that get most booted from ranger: cheating - don't get caught eating the raspberries or sleeping on watch, never tell an RI "I can't", never give up, timed runs/rucks are a pass or fail event, be a team player because peer reviews can be heartless and injuries which are common.

Your unit at your duty station will be responsible for reserving Ranger School through ATRRS. You're going to fall in on an order-of-merit list at that initial unit meaning there are guys in training ahead of you waiting for training seats. While you're in that "wait status" your unit (if they have their shit together) will put you through hundreds of hours of repetitious training. This is two-fold: you have to prove to your CO and BN commanders that you have what it takes and the unit only wants to send those that they are confident will pass. It's a black eye to any unit when a soldier fails a school and gets sent home, therefore they will set you up for success.
    Thanks for all the info! I was just told that many who make through the first phase washout during SERE because of their lack of skill at NAV. I do know that physical and mental strength are of the utmost importance so I will keep my focus there.
    Thanks!

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post

Great advice ! pretty spot on.. I would only add the following -

- along routes you will ruck march, measure out 100 meter, distance markers with spray paint or something. Everytime you walk that count you steps.. YOU WILL NEED A GOOD HANDLE on your pacec ount.. 10 x 100 meters = 1 Kilometer (Km) or Klick / 1.6Km = 1 mile
    make a set of Ranger Beads http://www.instructables.com/id/Army-Ranger-Beads/ this will help keep you from losing count of your pace count
    https://www.itstactical.com/skillcom...on-pace-count/
    https://www.armystudyguide.com/conte...ount-to-.shtml

- Get ruckin.. get a used military Ruck (back pack) load a crap load of clothes and some evenly displaced heavies.. 40lbs minimum is what you want and work up until you can march 20 miles at a pretty good clip. If you can jog or run some of that even better.
    - premeasure your route.. then practice to get your pace count practice.
    - Push up and flutter kicks whenever your body is not doing anything else.. like sitting around watching TV or talking to your family.. assume the position and work at it

If you can get your body in excellent shape it will help with the mind games.. you will be given tasks that over-thinkers will fail at. If the answer is to obvious, it's probably the wrong answer

They are not looking for "The Rock" they are looking for guys who DO NOT QUIT regardless of what is going on, NEVER.. Guys who can push beyond total physical failure, and then just keep trying.
    They are NOT going to baby sit you. They will teach you the land nav they want you to know

At pre-Ranger they want to see where your breaking points are and how you deal life at those points
    At Ranger they will break you down physically and mentally, show you how to deal with it, and you will have much higher breaking points.

Two things you will not have a lot of control over:
    Peer Eval - hard to prep for except be a Team player... guys that bitch, doesn't take orders when not in-charge, and always knows better ie "my way or it's wrong" guy, they usually get dropped during Peer eval
    Psyche eval - They have been at this since WWII, they will get in your head. They know who they want and who they don't. Just be there, push and never quit, and work with the team

Do not feel bad if you get dropped for Peer or Psyche evals.. you can always go back and try again.. a small percentage of people go out for Ranger.. just being there is an honor to itself

Go Ruck March.. there is not bad weather, there is only bad gear and weak mindset
    Last edited by Parrisk; January 29th, 2018 at 03:26 PM.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Allegheny County)

Hi guys,
    I'm new to the site, but more importantly I recently enlisted in the Army on a delayed entry. I have in my contract Option 40 (the ranger option) which more or less gets a me spot at attempting to become a ranger. I know I have to make it through basic, AIT, etc. before I attempt RASP, but from what I hear it's land nav where people usually wash out of ranger trainer. SO, I want to kick ass at land nav. Does anyone know where I could get training, or where to start? I've seen some courses from groups in the surrounding area but I am not entirely sure where to start. All I've done is take the Future soldier online Land Nav course from the Army.

Any help would be great!
    Put out an advertisement as follows:

ATTENTION ARMY RANGERS!! I will pay you $10,000, cash, to teach me Army Ranger Land Nav. Serious responses only. Please contact me.

If you can't afford $10K, put in whatever number you can afford.

Hope you achieve your goals!

(Wayne County)

Hi guys,

Any help would be great!
    When are you planning on shipping out and would you mind driving to the Poconos?

I could help you out with basic orienteering and some basic terrain association if you are willing to drive up this far. The local state forest has a compass course and I have the sheet with the distances and bearings. It'll give me an excuse to get out for the day and brush up on it myself. We'll just have to watch the weather.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus