Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Riding motorcycle with visible long gun on board

I'm not going to do this but wondered this goofy question.

I go skeet shooting in a league on Sunday's. They are held at fun rod and gun clubs in different locations that would be great to take my motorcycle. This got me laughing thinking how it would be fun to just toss my shotgun on my back and ride up. I'm thinking this must be illegal in some way as I don't think the public would like people riding around on motorcycles with long guns on their backs. But wouldn't this be legal as it is open carry?

Realistically, if I would take my motorcycle to a skeet shoot I would break the gun in half and have some sort of carrying case. But I thought I'd ask the question if it was legal to ride a motorcycle with a long gun visible on your back?

Let me know your thoughts.

Default Re: Riding motorcycle with visible long gun on board

If you are riding one of these you should automatically get a free pass.

0mmharl92802.jpg

(Northampton County)

Nice, are those Thompson machine guns? I could see myself going for that look.

It would be unlawful to carry it loaded, because you're arguably transporting it "in" a vehicle (I'm pretty sure that's how our courts would rule.)

It's not technically illegal, outside of Philly or during a state of emergency, to visibly transport an unloaded long gun on public streets. That will be little comfort to you $10K later after you finally get an acquittal on your "disorderly conduct" charges, or worse.

To some folks, anybody with a gun is presumably a terrorist until proven otherwise. They don't see much difference between you slinging a rifle over your shoulder on your bike, or you prowling the local mall with the gun in your hands and your face all cammied-up.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Indiana County)

(Monroe County)

Last summer I was going to a friends house to do some shooting with my G-3 clone. I had my rifle in an old army weapons case under some ruck straps on my back, ride about 50 miles and with the exception of one or two folks driving by me giving me a honk because they knew what the case was everyone else was oblivious. In today's world its not worth the aggravation of some dip shit calling you in as a man with gun acting strange on a bike. I would carry in a case unloaded. Its not like you can take it out, load it and shoot while riding your bike at 65mph, but someone here will have done it or will do it to prove me wrong
    us-m1950-weapons-case-side-1.jpg

I plan on getting one of those gun scabbards for atvs and mounting itwhere rear saddlebags would be. https://www.amazon.com/Kolpin-Gun-Bo...ses+for+rifles

(Lancaster County)

Coincidental this thread comes out, I plan to do just that tomorrow. We are down to one vehicle since my wife wrecked hers Monday, I've been commuting on the bike all week, planning on going to the range tomorrow. I picked up a tacticool three gun case for a great price as a gun show was wrapping up some time ago. Haven't used it yet and at one point was considering cutting off the shoulder straps as I thought I'd never use them...not so much now
    I also have two nice soft guitar cases with shoulder straps that make great discrete rifle cases for MC (or other) carry/transport, picked them up for $5.00 @ at a yard sale

I've pack a long gun on my motorcycle several times. Once when I bought a Mauser at a gun shop , I simply slung it over my head & shoulder. I did put the bolt in my saddlebag just in case.

I've transported an 870 and a Garand broken down in a zippered case like this.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/45...85513244644276
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Susquehanna County)

I don't see a problem with it, outside Philadelphia. I have had carried long guns over my shoulder on ATVs and motorcycle, all but shorter distances.. and it sucks!!!! For the ATV I now have "Y" mouth rifle mount with bungies

I would however recommend against having it strapped across your back.. Should you have a stupid accidental get out, having that across your back with increase the risk of severe back injury by 10 fold.
    A hard scabbard like the one USMC3531 ( https://www.amazon.com/Kolpin-Gun-Bo...ses+for+rifles ) or even a soft one will protect you and your firearm.
    I have a HD Road Glide Ultra and have been toying around the idea of some kind of detachable mounting for a scabbard sticking up off the passenger floorboards
    Last edited by Parrisk; February 28th, 2018 at 05:25 PM.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast